Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

White Rabbits anyone?

(13 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Mon 01-Jun-20 08:21:53

The start of another month! Thinking about my dear old Mum and Dad. They had a lifelong tradition/superstition of saying “white rabbits” to each other on the first day of every month. Allegedly it brought good luck. Ideally it should be the first words uttered on that morning.

Does anyone else do this? Mum was Irish and Dad Scottish. I’ve no idea which of them started the tradition in our family but suspect it was Mum.

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jun-20 08:25:00

I whisper it to myself if I remember it’s the first before speaking to anyone else, often when I’m sat on the loo when I first get out of bed!

?

PamelaJ1 Mon 01-Jun-20 08:27:51

Done it. We believe it has to be the first thing that you say in the morning.
If you have said ‘good morning darling’, (as I always do!) first. then it doesn’t count.
We have now ensured that our premium bonds win today?

LadyGracie Mon 01-Jun-20 08:30:13

Yes I did at around 5 this morning when the cat jumped on me, it was almost two other words!

Grannynannywanny Mon 01-Jun-20 08:40:38

The first time my son took his now wife to visit his grandparents they stayed overnight. My dil didn’t tell us till years later when she came downstairs for breakfast they both said “white rabbits” to her and she wondered if they both had dementia ? ?

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jun-20 08:48:51

We never put the white on we used to say ‘rabbits rabbits rabbits’ always three times Never carried the tradition on myself though
Why rabbits ?

NanKate Mon 01-Jun-20 09:04:18

I say ‘rabbits, rabbits, rabbits, carrots, carrots, carrots’. ?

annodomini Mon 01-Jun-20 09:23:50

I was told that 'white rabbits' applied to months with 30 days and 'rabbits' when there are 31 days. I can't remember what happened 1st February.

ginny Mon 01-Jun-20 10:41:10

No white rabbits here.

jdga Wed 17-Jun-20 05:14:05

My Scottish grand-mother said that “white” rabbits is used for a month that has an “R” in it...otherwise it’s just rabbits, lol.

jdga Wed 17-Jun-20 05:16:08

Edit to above post @ 15:14
An “R” month usually is in Winter, when rabbits are white.

Granny23 Wed 17-Jun-20 05:46:40

It was not a tradition in our house but fellow pupils at school introduced us to the tradition. In our case it was Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits, irrespective of month.

BBbevan Wed 17-Jun-20 08:17:56

Yes we always, andI still do, say this on the first of the month.