Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

National anthems

(16 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Tue 16-Jun-20 05:32:22

If the British National anthem was actually a song about how we felt about our country, it might be acceptable but it's a sycophantic dirge to a person.

You cannot re-write history and the fact that Britain had an Empire and'or suported slavery (many of us still do today), cannot be ignored.

The patriotic songs about God preferring England are indications of that jingoistic past. All we have to do, is endeavour to do better in the present and future.

SueH49 Tue 16-Jun-20 00:36:52

The problem is that everything changes so the anthems of any country will in most cases not reflect today's circumstances or attitudes which are fluid. However, if we continually change things, anthems among them, to reflect values of today then surely we loose some of what makes our culture.

Australia is long touted as having no culture of it's own. However, we have bent over backwards to accommodate the culture of other ethnic groups that choose to settle here and hence while our culture has become multicultural we have not only not developed that laconic aussie culture but have lost. We are called racist if we want to embrace it.

Back in the 1980's we did change our National Anthem and personally I love it BUT there is a big push to change it because it does not reflect Australia today and it is not inclusive of all. It does however, reflect what Australia was rightly or not, built and delevoped on. I'm very much against change for the sake of change an I think that is what we see throughout the world at the moment.

The problem is that we are never going to please everyone or every group and as soon as things are changed and they become "out of fashion" someone will want to change them again.

geekesse Mon 15-Jun-20 23:28:21

For a rousing sing, you can’t beat the Irish national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann. youtu.be/Ib-iT-zRFek

ginny Mon 15-Jun-20 20:00:08

No thank you.

paddyanne Mon 15-Jun-20 19:03:29

theres a verse in the National Anthem that talks about general Wade coming up to crush "rebellious Scots" not so much an anthem for us then! Scotland doesn't have a national anthem a lot of folk sing Flower of Scotland but its just a folk song .there are other songs that would be far more appropriate for us ,but we'll decide that when we get Independence .
I always remember the Billy Connolly sketch about having teh Archers theme instead of God Save the Queen ,that might be an idea

Calendargirl Mon 15-Jun-20 18:45:33

Very rousing Anniebach.

I think many national anthems are wonderful when sung well by big gatherings.

Calendargirl Mon 15-Jun-20 18:42:41

I really like ‘I Am Australian’ by The Seekers.

First heard it when staying in Oz with DD and family. Chokes me up every time I listen to it on You Tube.

Anniebach Mon 15-Jun-20 18:36:15

Welsh National Anthem - in English

This land of my fathers is dear to me
Land of poets and singers, and people of stature
Her brave warriors, fine patriots
Shed their blood for freedom

Chorus:
Land! Land! I am true to my land!
As long as the sea serves as a wall
For this pure, dear land
May the language endure for ever.

2. Old land of the mountains, paradise of the poets,
Every valley, every cliff a beauty guards;
Through love of my country, enchanting voices will be
Her streams and rivers to me.

3. Though the enemy have trampled my country underfoot,
The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
The spirit is not hindered by the treacherous hand
Nor silenced the sweet harp of my land.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jun-20 18:27:44

If you want to hear the best anthem go to youtube and watch Putin singing with thousands their fabulous rousing anthem.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jun-20 18:14:59

Advance Australia Fair.

There's another one I like too----I still call Australia Home. The words make me cry every time.

Calendargirl Mon 15-Jun-20 17:59:39

My Australian son-in-law thinks Advance Australia Fair is no better than God Save The Queen Newquay.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jun-20 17:58:44

I love the Aussie anthem the best. As Ginny said, better than our dirge.

ginny Mon 15-Jun-20 17:38:42

It has always seemed odd to me that Scotland and Wales sing their own songs but England sings about the person who is monarch of all three.

Newquay Mon 15-Jun-20 17:07:06

I agree Ginny-will have to have a think. . . Australia changed from God save the Queen to Australia Fair didn’t they?

ginny Mon 15-Jun-20 17:02:47

I like to get rid of the dirge that is our anthem.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with anthems as such but they should be about the country not a person. Preferably with a rousing tune or at least a tuneful one.
I do agree that lyrics of the song mentioned above are not appropriate today.

Fennel Mon 15-Jun-20 16:52:55

After all the discussion about statues I wonder if the same questions should be asked about national anthems and nationalistic songs.
For England I'm not questioning God save our Queen (yet) but the words of Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, are surely out of date. And reflect the days of Empire and exploitation of colonies and ethnic minorities.
Jerusalem always seemed to me to be a strange choice as we're not really a Christian country now, but I like the song.
Should we ban them?
If so what are the national sports teams going to sing before a match?
Apologies to Scotland, Wales and Ireland - not so familiar with your songs and I don't expect you like the english ones.