Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Bishopsgate Institute- any info gratefully received!

(5 Posts)
ixion Sat 13-Aug-22 18:13:55

Scribbles

I did a couple of the Institute's walking tours some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. One was in the area around Middlesex St and to the east of it. It looks like a very similar walk is taking place this autumn. The other one was about the development of the City as a financial centre.
I also attended a one day course on the history and evolution of everyday English since 1900. Very interesting and informative.
I'd forgotten all about Bishopsgate Institute so thanks, Ixion for the reminder. I no longer live in striking distance but maybe I'll sign up for one or two of their online offerings.

Thank you so much Scribbles, that was really interesting.
Sadly, I'm no longer in travelling distance but I shall certainly look to signing up for anything on line.
Right up my street!

Scribbles Thu 11-Aug-22 22:30:04

I did a couple of the Institute's walking tours some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. One was in the area around Middlesex St and to the east of it. It looks like a very similar walk is taking place this autumn. The other one was about the development of the City as a financial centre.
I also attended a one day course on the history and evolution of everyday English since 1900. Very interesting and informative.
I'd forgotten all about Bishopsgate Institute so thanks, Ixion for the reminder. I no longer live in striking distance but maybe I'll sign up for one or two of their online offerings.

ixion Thu 11-Aug-22 21:05:18

Thank you for that endorsement, MOnica.
Yes, I do do links, when I 'know' the source and can read the
title!

I look forward to giving them a try in the Autumn.

M0nica Thu 11-Aug-22 14:51:00

They are a known and reputable educational institute that have been in existence for a long time.

Here is a link to their history. www.bishopsgate.org.uk/our-history assuming you click on/read links.

ixion Thu 11-Aug-22 14:47:00

I have been drawn to several of their courses, both summer and autumn, which the Institute is running - in particular for me subjects like The History of the English Language, The Language of the First World War and other literary and arts topics.
Their walking tours (tho out of my geographical reach☹️) also seem amazingly interesting.
Has anyone signed up in the past to the Institute and/or participated?
I shoukd be grateful for any views or comments!
Thanks!

www.bishopsgate.org.uk/whats-on