Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Tate Britain - Hew Locke installation 'The Procession'

(5 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 29-Oct-22 10:46:38

Yesterday I went with a friend to this magnificent exhibition - it was almost overwhelming in its size and detail. I'd highly recommend a visit - have a look at the video in the link.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never heard of this Edinburgh-born artist; maybe some of you are better informed!

The Procession invites visitors to ‘reflect on the cycles of history, and the ebb and flow of cultures, people and finance and power.’ Tate Britain’s founder was art lover and sugar refining magnate Henry Tate. In the installation Locke says he ‘makes links with the historical after-effects of the sugar business, almost drawing out of the walls of the building,’ also revisiting his artistic journey so far, including for example work with statues, share certificates, cardboard, rising sea levels, Carnival and the military

www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/hew-locke

Riverwalk Sat 29-Oct-22 10:57:30

Forgot to add it's free of charge.

A few more pics, which don't really do it justice.

FannyCornforth Sat 29-Oct-22 11:02:23

Yes! I heard an interview with Hew on the World Service a few months back and looked at his work online.
I can’t imagine how fantastic it must be to see it.
Well done you! smile

FannyCornforth Sat 29-Oct-22 11:29:50

What was your reaction to it Riverwalk?

Riverwalk Sat 29-Oct-22 11:51:30

Fanny I gasped when I saw the size of the whole installation and the detail of each of the figures - along with everyone else I walked around in wonderment.

If you enlarge the photos you can see the faces, the clothing, the colours; many of the models were made from cardboard!