Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Joe Lycett

(200 Posts)
SusieBQ Sun 20-Nov-22 18:00:36

Joe Lycett has apparently shredded £10,000 of his own money as an objection to David Beckham’s involvement with the Qatar World Cup. Makes me sad to think what good could have been done with this money.

JaneJudge Tue 29-Nov-22 21:34:33

oh Lucca flowers

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Nov-22 11:33:44

Oh no! You poor thing thanksbrew

Lucca Tue 29-Nov-22 11:27:10

I get grumpy being looked after !

volver Tue 29-Nov-22 11:25:11

Oh no! I hope somebody is looking after you and spoiling you today!

Lucca Tue 29-Nov-22 11:22:39

Well…. Here is my eye… chin is similar and hand was sore but getting better. Am having a whole duvet day though !

volver Mon 28-Nov-22 20:43:20

JaneJudge

Lucca

By the way excuse me if I misunderstood anything… I fell hard on pavement AGAIN today and banged head ….

sad
how are you bearing up bab? x

Ouch! Hope you are OK 🫰🏼

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 20:41:15

Callistemon21

Yeah 🤷‍♀️

That was to previous comment, not banging head post.

Hope you're ok.
Have you had a checkup?

Doodledog Mon 28-Nov-22 20:39:07

Ouch! I hope you are ok, Lucca.
flowers

JaneJudge Mon 28-Nov-22 20:35:30

Lucca

By the way excuse me if I misunderstood anything… I fell hard on pavement AGAIN today and banged head ….

sad
how are you bearing up bab? x

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 20:04:37

Yeah 🤷‍♀️

Lucca Mon 28-Nov-22 19:47:32

Lucca Mon 28-Nov-22 19:46:20

Callistemon21

Lucca

Wondered what the reaction to this might be from those on this thread saying he was an idiot , attention seeking etc etc etc?

They realise they were right?

But they probably don't want to gloat.

?. You think they were right saying he was an idiot ??!

Lucca Mon 28-Nov-22 19:44:52

MawtheMerrier

Of course he was attention seeking- who would blame him? That was the point.
It has raised awareness of the hypocrisy of those who claim to uphold freedom from oppression and still trouser big bucks from the oppressors. £10 million in the case of David Beckham I believe.
Apparently that has put the kybosh on any likelihood of a knighthood for Beckham . Money isn’t everything.
Well done Joe Lycett!

Absolutely!

Lucca Mon 28-Nov-22 19:44:05

Glorianny

Oh I can just hear Joe Lycett if you accused him of attention seeking, he'd be delighted.

Actually that’s so true

Doodledog Mon 28-Nov-22 12:40:07

MawtheMerrier

It has raised awareness of the hypocrisy of those who claim to uphold freedom from oppression and still trouser big bucks from the oppressors. £10 million in the case of David Beckham I believe.
Apparently that has put the kybosh on any likelihood of a knighthood for Beckham . Money isn’t everything.
Well done Joe Lycett!

Absolutely, Maw. Exactly what I think.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 12:14:52

Of course he was seeking attention, it would be pointless otherwise.

His whole public persona is attention seeking 😀
He'd just be another man in the street with an ordinary job otherwise

Glorianny Mon 28-Nov-22 12:13:42

Sorry just reread and understood. It's funny how attention seeking is regarded as negative trait. I think it's probably a British thing.

Glorianny Mon 28-Nov-22 12:11:50

Damn full stop in wrong place!! www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/joe-lycett-gets-himself-cancelled-on-live-tv-joe-lycetts-got-your-back/378255403737633/

Glorianny Mon 28-Nov-22 12:11:07

Joe fully admits to attention seeking. It isn't the first time he staged a stunt to make the news. There is usually a good cause behind it. In this case using white plastic for bottles
.https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/joe-lycett-gets-himself-cancelled-on-live-tv-joe-lycetts-got-your-back/378255403737633/

MawtheMerrier Mon 28-Nov-22 10:51:15

Glorianny

Oh I can just hear Joe Lycett if you accused him of attention seeking, he'd be delighted.

I’m sorry if I was not clear.
Publicity stunts are by definition “attention seeking” - but I never thought or meant to imply he sought the attention for himself - but for the issue.
So I stick by “attention seeking” or, if you prefer “awareness raising”.

volver Mon 28-Nov-22 10:46:16

Joe's protest was inspired.

He never expected to get any response from David Beckham, obviously. He's got everybody talking about it. I'm having a wee laugh at those who say he's an idiot, or he's attention seeking, or anything else like that. On Twitter some are saying that he changed his tune and decided to give the money to charity because of the backlash. Really?

He's a clever chap. More power to him.

Glorianny Mon 28-Nov-22 10:36:20

MawtheMerrier Mon 28-Nov-22 10:12:19

Well done Joe Lycett!

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:06:42

Lucca

Wondered what the reaction to this might be from those on this thread saying he was an idiot , attention seeking etc etc etc?

They realise they were right?

But they probably don't want to gloat.

Elegran Mon 28-Nov-22 10:05:29

And, incidentally, that is one of the reasons you never say to a child anything like what I once heard in a supermarket "If you do that again, Mummy won't love you any more" A child will either believe it and never be certain again of Mummy's love, or not believe it and never be certain that she can be believed on anything else. Plus, there is no way that Mummy can carry that out, unless she is a psychopath.

That is as well as the innate cruelty of threatening a child with such a drastic punishment for anything