Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 12th Dec weigh in

(26 Posts)
glassortwo Mon 12-Dec-11 07:34:59

Good morning happy weigh in. smile

greenmossgiel Mon 12-Dec-11 09:36:22

Good morning all! I've lost a whole pound! I don't think I'm going to make the loss of a stone before Christmas Day (as that would mean I've got to lose three and a quarter pounds in 13 days confused), but I'm going to keep on over Christmas, just the same! grin
Good luck everyone wink!

Gally Mon 12-Dec-11 10:20:39

Well done GM would you like to tell me how you do it?????? I have absolutely no will-power grin

Notsogrand Mon 12-Dec-11 10:55:00

Good morning everyone. I've lost 1lb this week, so steady as she goes, but still heading in the right direction! smile
In preparation for my Christmas 'diet amnesty', I've been dipping my toe in the water this week with a couple of tiny treats, just to see if my tastebuds could cope. wink There's good news and bad news
I had one Cadburys Roses chocolate mid-week......but I just didn't like it! It tasted of artificial sweetners.....may be something to do with the company being taken over by an American firm? Anyway, I certainly wont be tempted by those over Christmas.
The good news is that I had my first Baileys of the season last night and it was gorgeous! grin

Notsogrand Mon 12-Dec-11 10:57:55

Well done with your pound green! I admire your determination to stick to it over Christmas, it wont be long before you hit that stone off target! smile

greenmossgiel Mon 12-Dec-11 14:01:59

...well, that's the plan anyway, notsogrand....confused!!!!

Sbagran Mon 12-Dec-11 18:46:49

Thank you glass for all your help and encouragement in 2011.
As you know I am 'relaxing' now until after Christmas.
We had our first Christmas meal last week. It was DH's works 'do' and seeing as his coastguard station is one of those to be axed we were all aware it could be the last one? Didn't think I ate more than was wise but really felt uncomfortably 'stuffed'.
To my amazement when I weighed yesterday morning I was exactly the same! Really cannot understand it but I aint gonna argue grin
I am trying to 'fill up' with veg and good things so perhaps that is partly to do with it?
Anyway - well done green and notso - great achievement.
I am planning to return to swimming etc in January so am determined that you will all (virtually!) 'see' less of me in the new year and Easter is my target!
Good luck everyone else who weighs in this week grin

glassortwo Mon 12-Dec-11 20:23:56

Green well done, you have done really well to loose what you have, and very brave to keep going over the festive period. smile

notso well done another 1lb you should give yourself a pat on the back you have been consistent every week. smile
Its strange how when you start to introduce treats back into your diet how the taste is not as you remember, but a little of what you fancy wont do to much harm, enjoy your little break.

Thank you sba but what you have all achieved is down to your own efforts!
Enjoy your break and we will see you back hopefully in the New Year. .smile

Carol Mon 12-Dec-11 20:53:22

Congratulations everyone - I've been watching your dieting efforts from a distance and thinking I really should make a better effort. This time last year I started on five a day and cut down on butter, cream, crisps, sugar (all the things I love) and have lost a stone this year without doing much exercise other than strolls with the dog and playing with grandchildren. If I carry on like this, it will take another 3 years to get to the right size! I'm going to tread water over Christmas, then start again in earnest, and increase my veg intake to eight or nine a day. I read recently that if you keep to a very low calorie diet and avoid starches for 2 days a week, you can eat moderately the rest of the week and lose more weight than if you have 1500 calories a day, which is about the amount I have been having. Has anyone had results with this method?

Notsogrand Mon 12-Dec-11 22:48:59

It would be great if you joined us in the New Year Carol...lots of support from everyone here! smile
I haven't heard of the regime you describe, I wonder what the benefit is of avoiding starches 2 days a week?

Carol Mon 12-Dec-11 23:04:02

Thanks Notso I will. The regime was in the Sunday papers this last weekend, alongside the news about being able to reverse type 2 diabetes with a 650 calorie diet for 6 weeks under doctor's supervision. One article called it 'intelligent dieting.' Seems when you eat very little and no starches for 2 consecutive days, your body continues to metabolise fat efficiently on a couple of the following days so you get a more effective way of losing weight. We'll see!

glassortwo Mon 12-Dec-11 23:15:35

carol I did not read the article but sounds interesting! We would love to have you join us in the New Year, we all support one and other smile

Carol Tue 13-Dec-11 07:52:02

zeenews.india.com/news/health/fitness/cutting-carbs-2-days-a-week-better-than-full-time-dieting_14859.html
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2071903/Strict-diet-days-better-calorie-counting-week.html
Here's a couple of links to some of the articles I had seen over the weekend. Some come from the perspective of managing insulin levels, reducing breast cancer risk, and others I saw looked at reversal of Type 2 diabetes. There's probably lots more, but I found these first.

Carol Tue 13-Dec-11 08:02:22

I've just been looking for the source of this research and discovered it has taken place at the Genesis Prevention Centre/Nightingale Centre for Breast Cancer research, which by coincidence is only a mile away from where I live!

susiecb Tue 13-Dec-11 08:19:49

I lost 2 and half pounds this weeksmile. I decided to really go for it as I wanted to get into the next stone bracket before Xmas so I halved my Syns (Slimming World system)by not having any wine during the week just a small G & T in the evening so I didnt feel deprived and stuck rigidly to the diet plan. I followed all the tips, varying what you eat, eating lots of protein and fibre and it worked. I am going to try that again this week to give me a margin to enjoy Xmas Day and Boxing day and have whatever although I suspect my appetite is much reduced anyway. I am so happy today and so grateful for all the support I have at my local group and here on Gransnet. i feel a lot healthier and my knee pain has disappeared. Hopefully a bit more weight of should help my sciatica (which is an absolute bugger!!!) and back pain.

If anyone is looking for a diet that works in the New year and you enjoy eating I can throughly recommend Slimming World.

Notsogrand Tue 13-Dec-11 10:28:13

That's brilliant Susie! Well done! Isn't it great when you start to feel the physical benefits of weight loss?

glassortwo Tue 13-Dec-11 13:13:15

Thanks carol I will have a look.

susie wow well done. smile
I suffered from back ache before I lost weight and was in pain if out shopping I had to keep stopping but that has all gone and it was all weight related. I totally agree with you, Slimming World does what is say' on the tin, as long as you follow the plan. I am going back after Christmas. wink

Sbagran Tue 13-Dec-11 13:46:42

Gosh susie well done grin envy !!!

GoldenGran Thu 15-Dec-11 09:10:04

susie well done. I forgot to post mine earlier, but I lost 1lb, push for another little bit for next week and then back to the drawing board after Christmasgrin After Christmas it is Weight Watchers on Line for me!Or does Slimming World do it on line too susie?

glassortwo Thu 15-Dec-11 09:44:22

golden you can do Sw online, well done another 1lb. smile

I have lost 1/2 lb which I am amazed with but I am not going to argue. grin

GrannyK Thu 15-Dec-11 21:19:36

I cannot believe I forgot to weigh myself on Tuesday morning...! I had such a bad evening on Monday (involving backing into an invisible wall at midnight and inflicting £600 damage on the car in two seconds !) that it never even occured to me . Tuesday evening was the first of the Christmas celebration meals ( Older son was once on Masterchef and won't be around at Christmas , so it was everyone round to his place ) There was no way I was going to weigh in on Wednesday , so that's it for now until after Christmas. I will probably weigh myself next Tuesday ( if I remember !!!) but might just not share , or even register mentally if it's too scary and then not again till the New Year when I will be VERY DETERMINED to shed the last few pounds ( plus any extras accumulated in festive mood). This has been the best year I have consistently had for quite some time in terms of my weight- I am so grateful to everyone for taking the trouble to be so supportive , especially you, Glass. Many thanks and the best of luck to you all over Christmas.smile

glassortwo Thu 15-Dec-11 21:52:52

grannyK hope you were ok, it gives you such a jolt when you hit something stationary, I once swung my car around in an almost empty car park and ripped the wing off the car I had collided with a lamp post which had been in my blind spot!
No need to thank me, the weight loss you have all achieved is down to all your hard work.
Hope to see you in the New Year, enjoy the festive season. smile

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Notsogrand Thu 15-Dec-11 21:53:56

Well done golden & glass, both still losing! smile
Thanks for your support too GrannyK! (If your son is a chef, could he rustle up some delicacies for our Gransnet Christmas Party tomorrow night? grin

Sbagran Thu 15-Dec-11 22:00:12

Yes ladies it looks like dear glass will be employed again after Christmas with us all making the New Year resolutions. I have fixed up to return to the gym/swim at the beginning of January! We need you glass so you had better prepare yourself to continue in your post as 'GN Weight-guru'!

This has been an amazing thread as just committing yourself to 'log on' each week and admit your progress is just the incentive we need and we all give each other so much support - whether it is praise when someone does well or encouragement when bad weeks occur.

Thank you glass from all of us - have a very merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy new year thanks thanks thanks

glassortwo Thu 15-Dec-11 22:26:23

Thank you sba but I have not done anything other than start a new thread each Monday, its all down to each and every one of you putting in all the hard work.

Ill be back ( who was it said that, never mind cant remember).

When does everyone want to start again 2nd or the 9th, I am easy?

I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and an even better and lighter New Year.

Enjoy you little break and I will hopefully see you all eager to set off again in January. wine wine wine wine winewine