Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The trouble with exercise......

(73 Posts)
jinglej Wed 19-Oct-11 10:31:49

In this case, walking.

If I go and do it first thing (I invariably lose my way walk further than I meant to), I arrive back completely knackered and the housework/ironing doesn't get done.

Or, if I do the house stuff first, then the urge to exercise goes off and then that doesn't get done.

Is there an answer?

Sigh.

jinglej Wed 19-Oct-11 18:24:06

I downloaded this one from Amazon onto my kindle.

Don't know if there are any updated editions.

yogagran Wed 19-Oct-11 22:04:09

Go and do the morning walks jingle, the housework won't go away but these lovely autumn morning will

Annobel Wed 19-Oct-11 22:53:13

Thanks for your explanation, elegran. I will be careful where I shed my skin in future. grin

bagitha Thu 20-Oct-11 06:54:04

jings, I understand your concern, but isn't reading the objectionable 'n' word and understanding why it is unacceptable part of your GS's education? There are censored edited versions of Tom Sawyer which use the word 'slave' instead. Mark Twain was not a racist.

If you google the term "edit tom sawyer", there's plenty of info, such as what follows. I actually wrote a post saying the same thing yesterday but deleted it, so it was pleasing to find that others have had the same thoughts:
"Twain used the 'n-word' deliberately because he hated racism and he hated slavery," Jones continued. "Children who read this book deserve the chance to read the book thoughtfully and in its entirety and to understand and to ask questions about why (Twain) used the word and then allow teachers, parents and librarians to answer their questions."

The book was written and published long after slavery was abolished in the US, so in fact the word 'slave' is incorrect from that point of view as well.

My just eleven-year-old daughter is certainly old enough to understand why 'nigger' is an unacceptable word, so I'm guessing your GS is old enough too.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:45:59

I know. I don't for one moment think Mark Twain would have been racist. Never!

But you know how it is with grandkids - all that innocence. Its because the n word is still used by horrible people today.

"Slave" would be better, much better. That would be history. Will look for one with that word. Thanks. smile It's a really good book. I think he would love it. grin

gangy5 Thu 20-Oct-11 11:46:45

You're so right jinglej. On walking days it might be a good idea to have the remaining time being lazy when poss. - reading, gransnetting,catching up on recorded programmes etc. Days inbetween we could be a bit more energetic indoors or in the garden.
What a fantastic quote from Quentin Crisp!! I'm no domestic goddess and only do the absolute necessaries. Even Mrs Beeton didn't think that much of it for she wrote-:
" If a woman allows household cares entirely to occupy her thoughts, she is apt to become narrow in her interests and sympathies, a condition not conducive to domestic happiness"

gangy5 Sun 23-Oct-11 11:53:07

Next week I'm hoping to beable to pluck up enough courage as well as energy to go to a Zumba class. Have any of you tried it??

GrannyTunnocks Sun 23-Oct-11 23:07:14

Yes Zumba is great. I go to nifty fifties and aqua aerobics about 11.15 so have time to do a little housework before I go as I don't feel like doing it when I come home. Luckily DH helps out a lot but if we have somewhere we want to go then the housework just has to wait. No point getting stressed about it. Life is too short.

goldengirl Mon 24-Oct-11 14:16:59

My pilates teacher has just finished an instructors' Zumba course and we'll be able to use our credits for this which should be fun. I'm certainly not a nifty fifty though - more a stickless sixty, but I'll give it a whirl when the opportunity arises. I'd love to do some walking though but the shortage of loos en route makes me a little anxious. How do walkers manage? Any hints welcome smile

jessycake Tue 25-Oct-11 17:29:22

Every week I say I will take more exercise and go for a walk every day , but I am so much better at excuses than exercise.

gangy5 Tue 25-Oct-11 20:50:04

Went to Zumba today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you I'm feeling a few tweeks here and there. This must mean that it's done some good though. It's a much more enjpyable way of exercising than say, going to the gym which, I personally, find mind numbing. So, from now on, I'm a convert!

yogagran Tue 25-Oct-11 20:55:59

I'm a bit wary of Zumba - are they all twenty something and lycra clad?

absentgrana Tue 25-Oct-11 21:05:34

The trouble with exercise is that all that jiggling about make you spill your wine.

gangy5 Fri 28-Oct-11 16:19:35

No yogagran they are all oldies like me and don't wear anything special. Some even do it in their normal outdoor shoes.

Barrow Tue 01-Nov-11 08:39:16

Getting back to housework (sorry), whenever I am torn between going out for a coffee with friends or cleaning the house I remember what my dear old grandmother told me. Friends may not always be there but housework will be - enjoy your friends and do the housework when you can't think of anything else to do!

goldengirl Tue 01-Nov-11 20:57:43

I so agree Barrow. I wore my pedometer grin and away I went with the vacuum cleaner and then swished around with the floor mop and hopped up and down stairs to do this that and the other and do you know, my pedometer let me down big time. It seems all the movement was in my arms rather than my legs. I'm sooooooo disappointed with my efforts and wonder whether I'll bother ever again hmm

Greatnan Tue 08-Nov-11 10:26:41

I live alone in a 24 sq. metre flat so housework takes about an hour a week!
Walking is wonderful - I usually walk for a minimum of two hours a day, and often much longer. I started gradually, just an hour's round trip, but quickly got addicted to the great feeling of being in the fresh air and getting close to nature. Now, I feel quite unhappy if I can't get out because of the weather - I don't mind if it is overcast but I am not quite daft enough to walk in pouring rain, as the lanes near me would be quite dangerous.

I should add that I live in a small ski resort in the French Alps, surrounded by the most glorious scenery - lakes, rivers, waterfalls, forests, meadows and always the snow capped peak of Mont Blanc glistening in the sun!

I have found walking with Nordic poles a great help - your arms swing in rhythmn and you quickly lose any 'bingo wings' and develop biceps instead! You might get some funny looks, though, if you live in a less isolated spot!

My advice to anyone torn between housework and walking is always take the walk - the dust will be there when you get back with your improved breathing, circulation and heart rate.

jingle Tue 08-Nov-11 10:28:57

Absolutely agree Greatnan. Even if I am a bit envy of your surroundings. grin

Greatnan Tue 08-Nov-11 11:17:36

You are welcome to come and stay - I have a double bedroom spare!

GoldenGran Tue 08-Nov-11 12:38:24

What a fabulous place to live Greatnan.I have no trouble in choosing a walk over the housework, in fact I would be walking now, but have to stay in for a parcel delivery. No excuse not to do dusting or the ironing grin

jingle Tue 08-Nov-11 14:26:42

Right-o. I'll be there! grin

Gally Tue 08-Nov-11 14:30:00

greatnan you may have a bit of a queue for your spare room - better start taking GN bookings grin

Greatnan Tue 08-Nov-11 15:01:26

I don't take guests commercially, but I love welcoming friends and showing off my wonderful mountains, so if any single ladies would like to visit me, we could exchange pm's. I started a blog (but got bored!) which has some photos so you can see what the area is like:
www.iretiredtofrance.blogspot.com or if anyone is on Facebook I can send them my FB name.
I spend two months in New Zealand every Winter (I fly South with the birds) and a friend I met through another forum is using my flat for a skiing holiday while I am away.

JessM Thu 10-Nov-11 21:29:54

Coo Greatnan you have it sussed. Where in NZ?
The trouble with exercising is that it could make you smug. It could have easily if i had started sooner. I decided to start jogging 6 months ago (my 60th was the spur) as an advance on exercising very feebly in the gym (reclining bikes tone your bum but don't really get you fit)
I have just got to the stage when I can go for a run for up to half an hour and think about something other than the fact that I must keep going. It is, at times, enjoyable. I have only fallen over once (in the exotic location of an island in the Puget Sound, Washington State. A man bathed my graze, I got up and carried on and I had scabby knees for a week).
But if I was not heartily grateful that I have the health to do this and unable to take this for granted at 60, I could start getting smug about my newly toned legs and extra puff...

Greatnan Thu 10-Nov-11 22:13:05

My daughter lives in Wakefield, a village about 12 miles from the North coast of South Island - the nearest towns are Richmond and Nelson.

I had not run since childhood, but last January, in the lovely sunshine in NZ, I just suddenly felt the urge to jog round the garden - the family were amazed. However, I found it a bit hard on the knees, so I went back to walking. I find sprinting flat out is actually easier on the knees!

I am acutely aware of how lucky I am to enjoy good health (other than slightly high blood pressure, meaning I have to take Ramipril, and a bit of arthritis in the knees). My main reason for wanting to lose weight was not cosmetic (I really don't care about my appearance) but to stay as healthy as possible so I can continue to live alone in this isolated and beautiful spot.

I know what you mean about feeling smug but my principal feeling when I am walking is just sheer happiness. Today, the sun was shining and I explored some new villages then walked by a stream in a forest.

I have talked about my concern that I was getting too obsessive about walking, but today I got back to my car after 1hr 55 mins and did not feel the need to walk round for another five mintues to make up the two hours, as I have in the past. Small steps!