Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 10th September weigh in.

(40 Posts)
glassortwo Sun 09-Sep-12 22:50:20

Almost Monday again, good luck. Off to my bed I think. grin

Notsogrand Sat 15-Sep-12 16:19:11

I've never been a heroine Movedalot, how lovely! smile

You are so right....understanding your own weaknesses is the trick. I'm ok to have fat foods around me, I still bake cakes etc for family members and can happily ignore the temptation. (Usually!) My weakness is that I can't do 'a little bit'...of anything! So no point in me having a thin scraping of butter, only thickly spread will do. One tiny chocolate? No way! Half a box please. A thin slice of cake or modest portion of pudding? No, can't do it. I guess I'm just greedy. blush So as long as I steer clear of even licking my fingers clean of the butter cream for someone else's victoria sponge, I can manage.

Movedalot Sat 15-Sep-12 13:58:36

But Notso that means you are well over half way there! Such an incentive to keep it up. I cannot have the 'bad' things in the house as I know in weak moments I would succumb! I think understanding one's own weaknesses is the biggest element in dieting.

You are my heroine this week.

Notsogrand Sat 15-Sep-12 03:42:18

Thank you for the kind comments ladies. Everyone who manages to lose weight, even a modest amount, deserves a huge cheer. So a massive well done to all the people who are making that tough journey.

Movedalot, I still get tempted and gain weight, but get back on track with the help of this thread. I have almost another 3 stones to lose.

yoga I wouldn't be surprised at any health benefits that resulted from weight loss. I started to feel improvements in general well-being and mobility after the first 6/7lbs loss. Yep, all the fat clothes have long gone. smile

yogagran Fri 14-Sep-12 23:29:23

That's amazing notso - well done and I'm really pleased that you feel so much better than before. You'll have to shop for a whole new wardrobe too. I hope that you're chucking away your "old larger size stuff"
Since I have lost several pounds I have found that my "hot flushes" are not as troublesome as before - may be just a coincidence?

Movedalot Fri 14-Sep-12 13:33:45

notso that 4 1/2lbs a month! To be expected perhaps at the beginning but not after such a long time. You really are amazing smile. Do you have much more to lose? Presumably by now you are in the habit of eating sensibly so don't get tempted too often.

Butternut Fri 14-Sep-12 08:08:32

I've been awol from this thread for a few weeks, and it feels and shows unfortunately. I will remain 'scale-less' - but it's such a positive thread and I enjoy the encouragement and support. sunshine

notso and glass - You both really do inspire others. smile

glassortwo Fri 14-Sep-12 07:34:56

notso thank you for the flowers smile but I did nothing its all down to you.

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 21:45:12

Thanks Ella smile glass has been my inspiration, she deserves a garden full of flowers

Ella46 Thu 13-Sep-12 21:40:35

You truly are an inspiration to us all notso. WELL DONE flowers

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 20:37:12

That's June 2011, not last June!!!

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 20:34:39

I've lost 4 and a half stones since last June. grin

Still have a way to go, but I'll get there.

To all the newcomers...don't give up!! Even when things go wrong, come on here and have a moan, then get back on track again.

Good luck everyone!

Movedalot Thu 13-Sep-12 19:45:26

Notso I think that is brilliant! It is the best encouragement we could all have, not vanity but feeling so much better and more able to do things. Presumably you have lost a significant amount and should be very proud. wine

glassortwo Thu 13-Sep-12 19:05:47

That should be roof tops grin grin

glassortwo Thu 13-Sep-12 19:04:28

notso you have done the hard work you have stuck to your healthy eating through thick and thin grin for the new starters come on tell everyone how much you have lost since we started this thread. I feel like shouting from the ceiling on your behalf well done. sunshine

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 18:00:05

Ella, your virtual cuppa and large cake was delicious, thank you. The real me had green tea and a rice cake. (Halo emoticon) smile Your cake was better though.

Ella46 Thu 13-Sep-12 17:14:46

Ooops! that's not a lager, it's a large cupcake

Ella46 Thu 13-Sep-12 17:13:22

Well done*notso*, good for you! Now sit down and have a brew and a lage cupcake grin

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 16:34:16

Just wanted to come on here and thank glass and everyone else for the support over the past year or so. I've spent 4/5 hours today pruning, chopping, pulling, digging, lugging and shifting in the garden, all now out the front waiting to go to the tip. And guess what? I suddenly realised I'm not puffed out. I'm not sweating. I haven't had to take pain killers. I could easily carry on for another couple of hours. Hooray for being lighter! sunshine

Movedalot Wed 12-Sep-12 10:54:14

I fully understand the cravings when things are forbidden but when we 'fall' we just have to get up and try again. I'm not into martyrdom so when we go out I have whatever I fancy on the menu and am 'good' when at home although I don't want as much now as I used to.

Another thing the choccie lovers might like to try as a treat is the philadelphia choc spread. You can get it in little pots with 86 calories per pot so you know exactly how naughty you are being. I had a really bad day yesterday so had that spread on a banana for lunch. I am one of those who eats when stressed so found it very diffficult but did manage when over eating last night to only over eat the 'good' things. I ended up eating 1348 calories so will try to cut back today to compensate.

GrannyK Wed 12-Sep-12 10:01:26

Wheniwasyourage- do go and have a look at MFP. I use it EXACTLY the way sbagran does and it has totally revolutionised my eating over the past fortnight. Best of luck

Wheniwasyourage Wed 12-Sep-12 09:45:19

Thanks, Sba and glass. I'll have a look at My Fitness Pal.

Grannylin Tue 11-Sep-12 21:30:58

Me too- but just to read!grin

Notsogrand Tue 11-Sep-12 21:19:17

Just wanted to say I love this thread. smile

glassortwo Tue 11-Sep-12 20:25:53

I forgot to get weighed last night so I have just been on and I am 1lb up sad never mind back to my routine this week kids all settled at school and I need to find and exercise class or swimming during the day.

grannyK just try to keep focused and it will start to move again.

rosie just try to be good when you can and try to be careful in what you order when you cant ... damage limitation smile

notso you have had your lovely holiday, I wish I had your dedication well done for getting straight back into it. grin

whenIwas I do the same when I think I am on a diet I crave things I dont normally eat, the way I tackled that was to join SW where you can eat anything so you dont feel deprived, but also the MFP is really helpful as you can juggle things to suit yourself as long as you stay within the boundaries.

phoenix you have had a hell of a few months so all your normal routines will have been out of the window. Its easy to see what has gone wrong its a different thing all together putting it right,so try taking one day at a time. Have you had a look at the MFP it can be a great tool and makes the whole job so much easier.

Anne58 Tue 11-Sep-12 19:30:10

Oh damn, weighed for the first time in ages, not good, about 9lbs over what I was 3 months or so ago. I do know where I have been going wrong, just so bloody hard to correct it.