Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

folk dancing!!

(9 Posts)
anneandgraham Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:16

WE started this year after going to barn dance with friends, now OH is retired apart from 1 day a week we are really enjoying this new interest.

is great fun and no one seems to take it that seriously and we all have loads laughs when we get it wrong!!

is very energetic and sure must help to keep us fit!! is held in local community centre which we joined this year lived her for over 30 years but we never had time before and expect thought we were too young also!!

tanith Tue 02-Oct-12 21:19:33

That does sound like fun, much easier than struggling to learn ball-room for instance I might have a look around locally and see if I can persuade OH to come too.

anneandgraham Tue 02-Oct-12 21:26:21

we tried ballroom Tamith but we did not progress very well!!

would still love to be able to waltz and quickstep but not to be at moment!!

Daisyanswerdo Wed 03-Oct-12 15:37:02

I've been folk dancing for years and it is fun, we all get it wrong and forget what we're doing, and nobody minds at all. There is a lot of laughter, the tunes are lovely and it's a great way to keep fit. There's always a walk-through first and you gradually get to know the various moves etc. that most of the dances are made up of. We love having new people joining us. Definitely recommended.

crimson Wed 03-Oct-12 15:57:58

What music do you dance to? One of my favourite folk bands, Blowzabella run folk dance sessions.

Soupy Wed 03-Oct-12 19:53:59

I've been doing this since I was 17 and in fact met DH there.

We've had masses of fun over the years and will be at a dance about an hour from us this Saturday night.

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Anne58 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:59:02

The mere mention of "folk dancing" reminds me of the quote "You should try everything once, except incest and folk dancing"

Having said that, I have fond memories of a New Years Eve spent attempting to do Scottish Country Dancing in a local village hall here in Devon.

My mother mentioned how much she admired the hosts dirk.

(No, that is NOT a typo)

anneandgraham Wed 03-Oct-12 20:34:44

Daisyanswerdo that is exactly what is like in our club!! is great to have a laugh and keep fit too!!

The caller plays music from cds but barn dance we went to live band was good!! makes fun monday night out!!

picasoflake Fri 04-Jan-13 03:19:30

Helps to maintain your body..