Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 12th November weigh in.

(43 Posts)
glassortwo Sun 11-Nov-12 22:33:45

Monday again, I am putting this thread up and I have been very slack and I have not yet caught up on any late posts from last week, will check it tomorrow as my bed is calling now. moon

Good luck everyone wink

celebgran Mon 19-Nov-12 18:47:42

boo hoo seems like the 2 puds sat night have scuppered me, and plus 3lb!!! lost 4 last week so still lostg 1lb but very down about that.

WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!
WRITING it all down and counting points, being unwell so not as active probly not helped!

Notsogrand Fri 16-Nov-12 12:47:22

Glass a big cheer for making it a stone loss!!! Where are the flags to wave? I'm waving a virtual one, that's a brilliant achievement! smile

Movedalot Wed 14-Nov-12 17:44:58

Sorry everyone but I have let the side down again. I think my home scales are diferent to the holiday ones as they say I have put on 2lbs this week. That makes an overall gain of 3lbs on holiday.

Must get back on MFP. The thing I like about it is that it teaches us the calorific value of absolutely everything we eat and thereby educate us permanently so we don't backslide (hopefully!) DH has promised to give it a go now we are home and I think he will be very suprised.

Will try to do better next week but it is very hard as I only have a few pounds to lose to make my BMI 'normal'

celebgran Wed 14-Nov-12 17:17:18

just want say even tho feeling c....today have still been noting what have eaten and working it out!!!

no good giving up in first week cos ill!!

Anne58 Wed 14-Nov-12 13:30:55

Thanks glass , if I'm honest I know exactly where the problem lies, I will have to try to up my willpower!

glassortwo Wed 14-Nov-12 12:02:51

phoenix See you are on your way, you will soon have it off smile let me know if there is anything in particular you want to check and I can do it for you.

Anne58 Wed 14-Nov-12 11:19:55

Yes, I suppose I could, although the freezer is a bit full at the moment, due to buying a few Christmas food items and my soup making efforts!

Some of the SW habits have stuck,though. We now use vegetable stock when mashing potatoes or swede, rather than butter and the SW way of making chips is delicious!

glassortwo Wed 14-Nov-12 11:10:55

phoenix some of the syn values have changed slightly since then but I think overall the extra easy is about the same. Could you cook for MR P being home at the weekend and freeze some for you for when your on your own mid week?

Nonu Wed 14-Nov-12 10:28:11

Thanks glass. , Hope you right .

Think it a good idea to support each other . sunshine

Anne58 Wed 14-Nov-12 10:05:29

glass I did SW extra easy about 2 years ago. The current [rpblem is that with Mr P away during the week, I don't really feel like doing "proper" cooking for 1.

It's all my own fault, have been in a slump since the redundancy. sad

glassortwo Tue 13-Nov-12 20:55:24

I have only lost 1/2lb this week I have not planned my free foods very well, but that makes my 1 stone so really I shouldn't grumble.

jodi well done slow but steady and it will stay off, I did add your loss to the challenge total.

notso you will be fine you have got a hold of it again smile

grannyk instead of catching those bugs try swotting them grin congratulation on loosing another 1lb and getting to your lightest weight (we should have the flags) wine wine flowers flowers

nonu come and join us we will help support you, 11 weeks until February you could loose a stone in that time no problem.

phoenix its not much different, how long since you were with SW.

Homemade bread dont even mention it!!!

This week 10.48 lbs

Challenge to date 39.28lbs

celebgran Tue 13-Nov-12 19:50:04

eureka, find it very hard to add comment sometimes, am I only one who has this problem, wonde if my broadband is running too slow.

It just wont let me click on add comment!! grrrrrrrrr

Wanted to say thanks so much sbagran found fitness pal and would not have without your helpful thread!! I had downloaded it to ITUNES NOT sure why??!! I could then put it on my ipod, but it is so tiny I would struggle!
much easier to lookonline, I have filled in todays food more or less accurately!! have had about 65 too many calories but still should lose 7lbs in 4 weeks time if carry on like today! not put excercise in yet!! will go back do that!!
thanks again I need all help I can get!!

Sbagran Tue 13-Nov-12 19:06:44

Agree Granjura re the bread especially having a bread maker, but sadly I really do not have the willpower to only have half a slice so I have to really discipline myself every now and then! All or nothing! sad
However, with My Fitness Pal you can plan your calorie intake to allow you that decent slice of proper bread etc!
I am bread-free this week through choice to try and give my weightloss a bit of a kick but I certainly do NOT plan to be bread-free for life - no way!!!
It really depends upon how desperate you are to lose the weight and each to his or her own.
I am really close now to reaching my final target (another 7 or 8lbs - I will be ecstatic and you will all know!!!!!) so I am prepared to make sacrifices now, but I know I will return to eating proper bread so I intend to continue with MFP to keep my weight steady - MFP can be used successfully to maintain as well as lose weight.
With MFP I reserve myself enough calories to allow myself a choc digestive biscuit with my evening hot chocolate. Whilst it is obvious that my Weightwatchers drinking chocolate sachet containing 40cals probably doesn't taste quite as delicious hmm as the full blown made with milk version, it is palatable and the choccy digestive is a bonus! grin
Good luck to all our Crusaders, whether they be losing weight with urgency or on the slower steadier route - we all have to do what suits us best!

Nonu Tue 13-Nov-12 18:07:58

doh !

jeni Tue 13-Nov-12 18:03:03

I read that as cat food?

Nonu Tue 13-Nov-12 17:56:37

Pho. try fitnesspal !

You will like ! moon

Anne58 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:53:18

Oh heavens, I'm going to have to go back to watching what I eat. I got on the scales today for the first time in ages (I used to weigh cats by getting on with one, then without and working out the difference, but with Digby I just plonk him on by himself) and I am a stone over what I was last time I weighed.

I knew it was going up, had to buy new trousers for my last interview and noticed the tops of my legs meeting when wearing a bath robe (doesn't sound right, but hopefully you will know what I mean).

I find it easier when I'm working, this enforced period at home is doing me no good.

Slimming World worked for me in the past, but not sure how I would work it now.

Nonu Tue 13-Nov-12 17:39:41

I think it depends on how strong the desire to lose weight is !

I find lo cal food perfectly satisfying .

Suppose it is all about re-educating taste buds , I rather like Nimble now I have tasted it .

Different strokes ! grin

granjura Tue 13-Nov-12 17:28:50

Personally I would rather have half a slice of very satisfying 'proper' bread, than feel totally empty after munching on blotting paper - which is what Nimble feels like to me. Or have a very thin layer of butter on it- which would taste wonderful, than some low cal spread. Or a small piece of tasty cheese, than lower cal pap. But I agree, each to their own - and as Dave Allen said .. may your god go with you. It's taken me a longer time getting there with the above method perhaps- but I think using these awful tasting diet products is the reason people can't stick with them long-term, and we get this yo-yo effect.

Nonu Tue 13-Nov-12 14:56:59

SBAgran

I also have joined fitnesspal , I was surprised how good it is .

For example , bread ordinary slice 119 cals , nimble 58 . Have started having low cal. yogs and was surprised how few cals. in them .

What I think is great is that you put everytnihng down , and makes you think , No I must not have that as it takes me over my allowance .

I hope I can do as well as the rest of you , I need to lose a stone by February, so fingers crossed for us all . flowers

Sbagran Tue 13-Nov-12 14:40:15

Well done GrannyK another My Fitness Pal success - sorry to hear you have been bug-catching though! flowers
Celeb getting onto My Fitness Pal is easy and most importantly FREE!
Type My Fitness Pal into Google and the website will come up - follow the instructions to register (you will need an ID, a password and an email address) and the rest follows.
They will ask several questions re your age, height, lifestyle etc and from that you will be given your recommended calorie intake.
Click on FOOD and you will get a page with today's date on it - Under breakfast click on 'add food' and then enter in what you have had (or intend to have!) - a drop down menu will appear and you choose the nearest which then appears on your daily diary! It tells you how many calories you have used and how many you have left. Do the same with the other meals and snacks.
The best way to learn how to use MFP is trial and error - there is no penalty if you get it wrong! If you enter something that you then want to remove there is a little 'no entry' sign at the end of the line - click on that and it goes away!
Hope this doesn't confuse you - it's difficult when you can't actually show someone what you mean!
Your regular entries for each meal will gradually appear on a dropdown menu for you just to 'click to add' which saves time as well.
You can also enter any exercise you take and MFP will give you extra calories in your daily total!
One great benefit is that you can plan ahead what you want to eat and enter it BEFORE you eat it. That way if it will take you into the red you can make an adjustment and keep to your target. It will also tell you if you are not eating enough calories - again very useful.
One thing I discovered myself recently (after how many weeks???) was that if you type a food in and then just want to change the amount you don't have to delete it completely - just click on the item and a little window will open allowing you to change the entry! So much easier than starting again!
Lots of us losers use MFP so any problems just come onto this thread and someone is bound to be available to advise you!
Good luck - let us know how you get on!

GrannyK Tue 13-Nov-12 10:00:38

Sorry to have missed last week - yet another bug. They really are breeding a different lot these days. 30 years in teaching and I never went down with anything , now I seem to catch something every ten days from one of the different groups of children that I work with in a voluntary capacity .
The good news , however, is that I have lost 1lb, bringing to me to the lowest weight in YEARS ( and 5 lbs since I started on mfp ) Brilliant . Really happy at this weight . Now just trying to maintain without going up and down too violently .

Wheniwasyourage Tue 13-Nov-12 09:23:17

Thanks glass! Packing nearly done and off soon!! Hope everyone has a good week. There's a lot of good work being done here. flowers [loud applause emoticon]

celebgran Tue 13-Nov-12 09:15:22

thanks sbagran could you explain please do I just put my fitness pal into search engine??

Notsogrand Tue 13-Nov-12 08:40:33

I've stayed the same but that's OK. Having been up and down (and up) so much recently, I'm happy to stabilise.

Isn't everyone doing well this week? Well done everyone! flowers

Trying to remember when I was last under 8 stones.....probably aged 12/13 hmm