Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

5:2 Fasting Diet

(381 Posts)
GrandmaH Tue 29-Jan-13 15:41:08

Has anyone else tried this or is trying it now?
I started today & it looks too easy to be true.
I missed all the hype last summer & only heard about it in Rado Times last week so i would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.
First day of fasting & to be honest I feel quite normal but then I often forget lunch anyway if I'm busy.
I cannot believe how much weight I have managed to put on in a year following some family problems- typical comfort eater! Now I need to get myself in hand quickly.

Gally Fri 01-Feb-13 22:35:56

nanapug. Yes I am going to do it once I get home on Sunday. I had a good head start to get me in the mood - not that I would have particularly chosen to do it that way - but only have 3 weeks before leaving for Oz when everything will go haywire again confused. Good luck with your effort - sounds as if it will go well and, of course, to everyone one else cupcake

Grannyknot Sat 02-Feb-13 08:18:54

Gally stop it with the cupcake emoticon! I had a 'low calorie' day yesterday, didn't count them, but that's my way of easing into it. I had a headache at the end of the day. Have bought the book and will aim for twice a week, I wonder (must read the Q&A thread) - is there any benefit in doing it only once a week? Do you still lose but just more slowly?

I think a big boon for the low calorie days/diets is to drink caffeine free and tea without milk, there are so many smashing teas on the shelves now - Ginger and Lime, etc. Not that I think caffeine adds calories, but perhaps it stimulates appetite? Anyway I have a friend at work who has lost quite a bit of weight over time by simply stopping drinking milky tea (she was drinking lots of it).

Notsogrand Sat 02-Feb-13 08:25:37

I can't find the Q & A thread for this diet....anyone know where it's hiding?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-13 09:08:52

Here you go Notso www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1195683-Intermittent-fasting-diet-Q-A-with-Michael-Mosley

And the archived chat is here www.gransnet.com/webchats/fast-diet-with-michael-mosley

j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 09:34:44

See. You've got to do it now Notso. After Cari's done all that finding it work.

You still sticking to the fruit Cari? smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-13 09:36:56

Interspersed with Lindor grin

j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 09:54:21

shock!!!! (no I'm not wink) grin

Notsogrand Sat 02-Feb-13 10:01:36

Thanks Cari. I'm already doing it Jings, but just wanted to check that I'm doing it properly! I will look to see if Lindor are included. grin

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 11:42:52

I think it sounds great in theory and believe it will work but something is holding me back from starting it. I have dieted all my adult life, battled to either keep wt off as a younger woman then gained as I have grown older. Many of the diets I have done have been harsh with hunger and starvation type diets impacting on my body. I have done the lipotrim diet where I lost 2 stone in 8weeks then put it all and more back on. Now I am using relaxation and healthy eating to diet which is mostly about my state of mind. I am tempted by this 2day fasting process but perhaps I am resistant because of my earlier encounters with anorexia/bulemia?
I will give it a try today and see how I feel. It would be useful to know what people eat for their 500 calories in the 24 hours.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:18:22

Cari. Is that advertising?shock

j07 Sat 02-Feb-13 12:18:23

I bought this book back in the early '70's. Slimmed DH down using it.

#nothing newunderthesun

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:20:48

juneh I had cup o soup, herb teas, scrambled egg whites on a crumpet with a scrape of butter, a banana and that as enough!

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:22:15

Oh! And wine

Tegan Sat 02-Feb-13 12:35:10

juneh; I too have been on diets all my life and can't believe that, at 61 I'm still on one. My weight has gone up and down by up to 4 stones over the years and I'm heartily sick of it [although I did realise by my forties that I should be @ 9 1/2 stone and had been battling to be 8st or less for most of my life; lowest weight 7.3]. I think the swinging sixties have a lot to answer for [and Twiggy] although it's even worse for young women now. Had I known, in the sixties about the importance of good nutrition combined with exercise I think things would have been different. It was all 'eat less and be thin'.

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 12:41:27

Thanks tegan & jeni for your responses. I have just had a bowl of porridge with some strawberries &blackberries. Would normally have some fruit with yogurt for breakfast but saved it. Not sure how many cals will weigh it up.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 12:48:17

Have you got the 'my fitness pal' app? It does it all for you.

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 13:03:15

What is the fitness ap please

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 13:07:44

Its an app for iPhone and iPads and I think other putters. You decide on your cal intake for the day, then input all your intake, it works out the cals and does the arithmetic.
If you do exercise eg ironing you put that in as well!
It's brill, lots of us are using it!

juneh Sat 02-Feb-13 13:19:49

Thanks will look into it. Off to do my ironing, pack a bag am off with a friend to a spa tomorrow. Yippee, so excited 2 days of being looked after :-) :-)

yogagran Sat 02-Feb-13 13:26:02

The Fast Diet book by Michael Mosley is on Amazon Daily Deal today for 99p (today only)

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D341689031&field-keywords=fast+diet

yogagran Sat 02-Feb-13 13:26:53

Should have added that it's for Kindle owners

Dattyhunk Sat 02-Feb-13 16:31:30

Thanks for the tip on the fast diet book on kindle.Only found this site yesterday and am enjoying reading your posts.

shysal Sat 02-Feb-13 18:40:38

I have two good meals on my 500 cal days. I can make a substantial cottage pie using turkey breast mince, or a fish pie, for around 250 cals, I make 4 and freeze 3. For lunches I find mushrooms very useful at 2 cals each, I have loads, fried in spray oil, on 2 slices of toasted 50/50 crusts away bread (45 cal per slice), with marmite. Scrambled egg whites are good too at 20 cals each.
When I want to save time and have the counting done for me I buy M&S roast lamb meal for one, 170 cals, or their Count on Us filled Yorkshire puds at 210 cals.
Home made soups are easy at around 50 cals per serving, and so much more filling than cup-a-soups, which have about 90 cals.
I used to be a walking Weight Watchers point list, but now I am learning calorie values instead. Good luck to all who are embarking on this regime, I hope you will find it as easy as I have (I do alternate days).

shysal Sat 02-Feb-13 18:49:48

This book might be useful. 5-2 recipes.

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 19:42:00

Purchased!