Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Have you been doing Keep Fit classes for a long time.

(12 Posts)
harrigran Sun 02-Jun-13 12:16:20

Frank you must be in great shape, well done.

HUNTERF Sun 02-Jun-13 11:35:20

Hannoona

In the 50's and 60's there was no restriction on age to do keep fit at the centre I went to.
When I was 11 I was sent to do keep fit by the headmistress of my school who later became my mother in law because I was no good at football etc.
I know you now have to be 14 and accompanied by a responsible adult to do the modern day equivalent ( aerobics ) at the centre I now go to.
I don't think I suffered any damage by doing keep fit at 11.
The one thing I can say is the keep fit instructor at the university I went to said is she will always remember me. I left in 1975 and she remembered me in seconds when we met in a motorway service area about a year ago.
Most of the teachers at the school I went to remembered me years later,
I am not sure if it was due to me being one of the few boys who did keep fit at school or if it was due to the fact I became the son in law of the headmistress.
Another thing I can say is that all the boys my mother in law sent to do keep fit in my era are still doing something like aerobics 50+ years later in various parts of the country. Some of them as the only man in the class.

Frank

Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 06:06:08

I was too young to do keep fit when the music in the opening post was popular but I can recall racing round the ice rink to it during the ladies speed. I can also remember it was played during the mixed speed which was when you were asked to skate round the rink with a boy who fancied you and who you hopefully fancied as well. The secret was to pretend you were really scared so he'd feel all manly and he'd just have to hold your hand really tight, it also meant he felt six inches taller because he was such a fast skater. If you could blush when pretending to be scared it was even better and meant greater things all round. Truth is - it was hard to be scared when you were a figure skater and used to going fast on your own. But try we did, very hard, because some of those junior ice hockey players were just so worth it. :D

It was all very innocent, really, no hanky panky or the likes, just thrills galore :D

HUNTERF Wed 29-May-13 23:45:22

I left university in 1970.

HUNTERF Wed 29-May-13 23:44:16

Ana

A lot of ladies remember my keep fit activity at university but do not remember the subject I studied.
The instructor said when I left that I can always rest assured she would always remember me.
In 2005 I met her in a motorway service station and she knew my name within 5 seconds.

Frank

Aka Tue 28-May-13 23:01:24

Oops! hmm

janeainsworth Tue 28-May-13 22:58:50

Aka shock
You've outed Frankshock
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnlopjYZhGg

laidback Tue 28-May-13 22:58:20

Frank....are you really a houseful of slightly bored or imaginative Drama students on a project at Birmingham Uni?

Ana Tue 28-May-13 22:45:50

Frank, we know (because you've told us) that you've been going to Keep Fit etc. classes for 50 years, so of course you remember all the music! I think you deserve a medal of some sort...smile

Aka Tue 28-May-13 22:31:57

Buns of steel wink

janeainsworth Tue 28-May-13 22:18:00

That's quite a fast tempo Frank - you must be quite fit wink

HUNTERF Tue 28-May-13 21:44:37

Our instructor bought in a CD tonight and she said if we can remember doing a lot of classes with this music we have been going for a long time.
She said her grandmother was a keep fit instructor and played this music on a reel to reel tape.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGqbOxzAwg

I did not have her grandmother as an instructor but I can remember doing classes to all the music played tonight and doing keep fit with a reel to reel tape.
There was a lot of other music from the 60's on the CD which were played in keep fit classes at that time.

Frank