It's in the saliva

(19 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 16:52:42

Yes. I'm afraid you are right Aka

#soddingonethingafteraneffin'otherwhenyougetonabit

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 16:49:56

Eurgh! (fatty spit)

Stansgran Mon 31-Mar-14 16:28:44

I thought it was an amylase AMY1 . Unless you did Exams recently it's only just been discovered. I'm calling it fatty spit.

Nonnie Mon 31-Mar-14 16:28:36

I think that chewing each mouthful 30 times would mean that you would feel fuller sooner as the longer it takes you to eat the more time your body has to adjust to the feeling of having eaten enough. Usually I don't feel full until about 20 minutes after eating.

Sorry to put a damper on all those who don't eat a lot and still get fat but I saw a programme about this a few years ago and all those who thought they were not eating a lot turned out to be wrong! grin

If you don't have a medical condition which makes you put on weight (or even if you do) try myfitnesspal.com for 3 months and enter everything you eat. It is very revealing!

Aka Mon 31-Mar-14 16:21:10

Simples!

Aka Mon 31-Mar-14 16:20:56

Need to eat less as you get older or you get fatter.

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Mar-14 15:46:07

Aridane Has already said what I had started writing.

They knew all this when I was at school 50 yrs ago! How come someone has just rediscovered this?

Saliva reacts with starches and makes sugars you can do an experiment with a dye revealing marker. The problem is the amount of carbohydrates you take in. Saliva does not make any difference to the level of "carb's" it just changes the nature of them.

rosequartz Mon 31-Mar-14 15:28:08

So- have we all got it, and do some have more than others?

I am going to chew every mouthful 30 times to see if it makes a difference.

Ariadne Mon 31-Mar-14 15:19:46

Isn't the enzyme ptyalin - starts the digestive process by breaking down carbs into sugars? I seem to remember that from "O" Level Biology!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 15:13:42

Same here when I was very young. Very bad eater and skinny.

rosequartz Mon 31-Mar-14 15:07:39

I didn't when I was very young - I was an incredibly slow eater and a very skinny child hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 14:51:05

I do eat quickly! That could be it!

No, wait a minute. I always have done. confusedgrin

gillybob Mon 31-Mar-14 14:43:04

That's good jingle it was just a thought. smile

rosequartz Mon 31-Mar-14 14:40:40

Are those people who say you should chew every mouthful at least 30 times (or whatever) slimmer than those of us who just can't get it down fast enough? Or do some people have the right saliva and some don't?
I don't.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 14:36:07

I haven't got false anything thank you very much! hmm

gillybob Mon 31-Mar-14 14:30:30

It might be that you spit more when you talk now jingle with the falsies and everything. Perhaps not holding on to the saliva for long enough for it to work it's magic grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 14:27:24

But then, how do they account for putting the weight on in later life - after a slim youth? The gene would still be there. Does it stop working? Or do we stop moving around as much? (whilst still eating the same)

sherish Mon 31-Mar-14 14:06:59

Yes, I agree. I certainly don't have the enzyme!

overthehill Mon 31-Mar-14 14:05:19

In the paper today

Carbohydrates: Researchers have found that a gene that makes an enzyme found in saliva begins the breakdown of starchy food and can have a large influence on weight

bring it on.

Perhaps all these overweight people (me included) are going to be taken seriously when they say they cannot understand how some people eat what they like while others get fat.