Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

heat and eating

(8 Posts)
ladle Mon 06-Jul-15 15:50:49

I thought hot weather was supposed to stop you being hungry and just want chilled salads and fruits etc. But this year I am fining myself permanently ravenous. No matter how hot I just want to eat all the time! Ice cream of course but anything frankly. Please tell me I am not alone and also ideas of how to get back on the straight and narrow would be appreciated too

chloe1984 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:57:03

You are not alone I too am really struggling with my appetite during this hot spell ( but in fairness I struggle during cold snaps as well) I can easily eat a huge plate of casserole/ curry / with accompanying rice /chips or potatoes or all three. The only reason I don't is because I am loathe to buy any new clothes for the hot weather and especially not in a size bigger. So I stick to salads , fresh fruit and the very occasional ice cream tend to drink a lot of flavoured water or diet fizzy drinks also weigh in at slimming world once a week. Just keep on trying and don't be too hard on yourself have this virtual cake ....and enjoy cupcake

Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 16:59:01

ladle I feel just like you, but principally for "snack" type food, and of course <ssh> Magnums blush

Teetime Mon 06-Jul-15 17:01:41

I was just about to put a thread on about not being able to eat. I find that I am quite hungry between meals sit down to eat something I really fancy and have spent time cooking and after a few mouthfuls I'm full. I seem to want a small something every couple of hours but big meals make me feel really uncomfortable and I find I am leaving plateful after plateful - strangely not losing weight though.

Bez Mon 06-Jul-15 18:03:35

I am much the same Teetime - only eating small meals so am not doing normal sized ones now. - rarely doing potatoes or pasta etc. DH is fine as he loves the varied bread we can now get in France but he is eating much less too - he has lost weight but I have lost almost nothing.

Pittcity Mon 06-Jul-15 20:25:05

Heat makes everything expand - it's just basic science, not Magnums grin

janerowena Mon 06-Jul-15 22:47:08

I find I can't eat much during the day, but when it cools down in the evening I really have to fight the urge to empty the fridge. I gave in in the other evening, and found myself starting off with an ice lolly, followed by a handful of jelly babies. Then it escalated to a handful of fruit and nuts mix, then I remembered the ice cream, and added a few mini meringues, strawberries and cream and made a sort of Eton Mess, I still wasn't full so made a cheese and pickle sandwich! blush

Admittedly I had probably only had about 600 calories during the day, but it wasn't exactly healthy eating!

Today I have been much better and restricted myself to a handful of fruit and nuts and an apple.

merlotgran Mon 06-Jul-15 22:56:44

It's the middle of the afternoon that challenges my healthy eating ethos. Aldi do a very tasty tub of Cornish vanilla so does filling a kiddy sized cone make it OK?

Then there's lemon ice sticks and fruit and nut mix.

This afternoon I thought I'd be good and have an apricot out of the 'ripen at home' pack only to find I was too late because DH had eaten them all. angry