Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What do you do to keep fit?

(117 Posts)
Heirofthedog Wed 14-Oct-15 12:37:17

I am on a fitness crusade! Well, I'm talking about it anyway. Have signed up to a local yoga class and am hoping I won't be the only one in a baggy tracksuit and not able to touch my toes. What does everyone else do to keep fit? I walk a fair bit (always feel a Sunday roast deserves a pre or post ramble) but that's all. Am def feeling the 'winter layer' settling in but would like to still be fitting into my clothes post Christmas.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-May-16 10:03:10

I'm going on the exercise bike now, and then I'm gonna walk to the shops. sunshine 's shining!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-May-16 10:01:23

Loads of points Maggie for actually getting up at quarter to eight!

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-May-16 07:47:56

I'm getting up now. I'm going to get the yogalates dvd on (I might even do the exercises).

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-May-16 07:45:54

I'm 'fessing up. I've got a trampoline, hula hoop, weights, running gear, Zumba shoes, yoga mat, fitness dvds, treadmill that's useful for hanging clothes on, pedometer. If I don't get points for just having these things I won't score many on here. I don't drive, so I do walk about more than most. When I'm looking after the DGS though, that's at around one mile an hour.

whitewave Thu 26-May-16 07:14:54

I think that the trick is to keep active, although DHs heart lessons say you should do strenuous exercise -that is enough to get out of breath. I don't do that hardly ever!!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 20:58:36

OK! All the non-exercisers, come and 'fess up now. Make me feel beter. Pleeease!

Nelliemoser Wed 25-May-16 20:54:59

Yes! Guilty as charged.

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 20:47:22

Perhaps people who don't exercise are avoiding this thread anyway hmm

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 20:45:49

Does chasing after DGD and waving my arms around to a Disney CD count?
I did dance quite a lot the other night

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 20:44:07

My granny lived until well into her nineties and I don't remember her dancing round the kitchen, or jogging up and down the lane. She didn't even go shopping. I had to go and fetch things for her.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 20:39:45

I am 74 years and 8 months, and exercise seems to have almost completely dropped out of my life. Ten minutes on the exercise bike this morning.

Just how long are you supposed to keep this keeping fit thing up for? confused hmm

starbird Wed 25-May-16 20:23:18

Can't believe how energetic you all are!

I think balance and moderation are important:

age 69.5. two children, back and hip pain, but for my body I do line dancing once a week and table tennis once a week (for two hours), walk maybe twice a week, sometimes use the exercise machines in the local park, gardening, cleaning, occasional diy, or if I feel I have been too inactive I do some yoga at home.
For my brain, i do soduko and read a variety of books, I like foreign authors.
For my soul i attend a meditation class and a music appreciation group.
I eat a healthy diet on the whole but have at least one treat a day (on the weekly shopping day it is a fresh cream chocolate eclair).

Marmark1 Wed 25-May-16 18:24:11

Walk at least one hour every day.

Leticia Wed 25-May-16 18:09:00

Sorry - missed off a 0! I try to walk 10,000 steps a day.

Leticia Wed 25-May-16 18:08:02

I am 65yrs.
I try to walk 1000 steps a day.
I run- training for a half marathon.
I do a Zumba class and play badminton.

Nonnie1 Wed 25-May-16 13:32:01

When I feel happy and on top of the world I run with my dogs every day. When I feel less inclined I walk. I always do something though. To not have any form of exercise is not good for the mind let alone the body

Greyduster Wed 25-May-16 10:37:12

We try and do a five or six mile walk a couple of times a week, and I go to aquarobics for an hour on Tuesday morning, which is the best non stop workout I get. I hate swimming lengths, but love this. I'd go twice a week but can't fit it in with the school run. The rest of my leisure activities are pretty static - once you've hurled twenty yards of fly line out onto the water in an onshore wind, there's nothing much to do except wait for the fishies to swim by! Climbing in and out of rivers can be pretty tough, and at my age, pretty dangerous, so I choose my rivers for their ease of access these days! DH can't do steep hills now as his knees are buggered, so that has restricted our Peak District walking to lower level stuff but I'm okay with that.

Anya Wed 25-May-16 10:31:27

I try to walk 10,000 steps a day and bounce on the trampoline when no one's around.

It's the best exercise in the world for the pelvic floor muscles ever invented - far better than Kegal exercises.

gettingonabit Wed 25-May-16 09:35:56

I dislike exercise but feel I ought to so..I play tennis one a week, sometimes a zumba class, sometimes a yoga/pilates class.

Pilates is good. I feel I ought to do weights or something too.

I walk the equivalent of an hour a day, briskly.

I use MFP and if I've overdone it on the food I put on Absolutely 70s and have a little disco at homeblush.

carerof123 Wed 25-May-16 08:55:32

i complete a power walking DVD three times a week, for an hour each time followed by some weights for my arms. I also walk to town about 3 times a week its only about 10mis away but after walking around the shops and back home its at least a minimum of an hour. Gardening involves lifting, digging, bending up and down and i play bowls three times a week. I use to go running but found i was developing a lot of pain in my feet which meant taking painkillers each day, now i dont run i dont take painkillers. I do miss running though.

amyweatherly Wed 25-May-16 07:44:57

To stay fit and healthy it is very important to daily exercise for 45 minutes and should also look after that we eat a proper healthy diet staying away from junk and fast food.

honeypot43 Sat 02-Apr-16 15:34:09

I am in early 70s now, and swim twice a week, 20 lengths breast stroke. I prefer this to walking. My daughters think I'm mad, as when I started swimming 2 years ago, I went to Sports Direct to ask for a swimming hat. I had in mind the one I used to have in the 50s, it was lovely with petals on and a strap under chin which really fitted well. They looked at me with amusement as though I was demented and showed me the modern ones. I bought one but what a disappointment, its like half a balloon, and as I have longish hair and a bun, I struggled to get it on, and then it gradually came off, so now I don't use one, I swim with head out of water as I don't want to get hair wet, its difficult enough to keep it coloured.

honeypot43 Sat 02-Apr-16 13:10:16

I am in early 70s and trying to keep fit but since becoming a widow and moving to a bungalow I find now that if I have to use stairs it hurts my knees. I have never really liked exercise but know I must do some, so make myself go for short walk most days. I can swim (only breaststroke without getting hair wet!) so I do 20 lengths twice a week - unfortunately it does give you a good appetite so have to resist choc on way home in car. Wish I could lose some weight, I know that would help

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 14:57:13

shock

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-16 14:10:16

According to my gym instructor anyone over 50 counts as a senior grin