Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercise/strength/mo bility

(133 Posts)
Jay586 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:09:33

Hello,

I trained as a personal trainer last year. My interest is older people, particularly as I've struggled with my own mobility due to injury and weight.

Really interested in what people think would help them and happy to discuss anything that would help people here really. :-)

So pleased to see people being so active already.

Shirleyw Fri 17-Aug-18 03:51:18

Just been having a good read of this thread.....some great advice on here....motivational....

Pharmascience1 Tue 21-Nov-17 09:31:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

junie1 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:42:22

Hi
I was reading about barre exercise
I think it is ballet mixed with pilates.

Anyone know about this please

Thanks
Junie

Jay586 Sat 10-Sep-16 20:22:29

Have you had your iron levels checked?

I have some sympathy with the thought of exercise for exercise sake being a bit pointless. I come from a family of farmers & exercise is scoffed at but pretty much all the functional exercise I do is similar to farming activities so artificial exercise isn't required. However, I am now a lot stronger & life is easier for me than when I sat all day...

Problem with sitting is that the muscles in your legs pump the fluid out of your legs & also help with moving the gut, so sitting is really bad news for some people. Bit like smoking really, we all know someone who defied the odds...

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 16:14:12

When can we have a rest?Say we've done it?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Sep-16 16:13:17

My stationary biking is now down to ten minutes each morning. Even with that I feel so tired later in the day. Why should we keep this artificial exercise lark up? My granny didn't do it. I remember her sitting in her chair looking out of the window a lot. And she lived until well into her nineties.

Jay586 Sat 10-Sep-16 15:32:44

Have you asked your medics?

You can accumulate exercise in chunks, it doesn't make any difference compared to long sessions So if you're happy with small chunks, continue, even 5 mins every so often will be helpful. Depends on your symptoms. A PT would use "rate of perceived exertion" for exercises & check you're comfortable.

See if you have any cardiac rehab PTs locally, they would be qualified to give you advice, may be one at the local hospital?

Do you feel safe on the bike? Think the worry would be falling off? Have you seen tricycles?

Basically, you're your own guru, talk to the doctors & then come up with a strategy that fits your own circumstances. Got to better than sitting but best to take advice. Good luck!

MargaretX Thu 08-Sep-16 09:52:38

Jay 586 have you any ideas what people with heart problems e.g. artrial fibrillation, can do . breathing exercises ?

I decided to give my bike away and then just couldn't do it. it upset me but don't know if it is safe to ride it. I don't do tours just to the shops and the postbox.
I have an ergometer but am not allowed to do anything too strenuous and always only 12 -15 minutes.

Jay586 Thu 08-Sep-16 08:35:50

How are we doing this week?

I've signed up for some online PT, as coaching really does make a difference to achieving what you want & it's so easy to drift.

Jay586 Mon 05-Sep-16 11:40:00

Ha, ha, its taken me 3 years but my husband is now saying he'll do some of the exercises.

Just get him to do a couple, let him get into it slowly. (-:

Bellanonna Mon 05-Sep-16 10:28:06

Another one is Exercise for Older people - NHS Choices. It looks basic but could be useful for anyone with restricted mobility, or who doesn't usually exercise. It has exercise groups for balance, strength, flexibility etc. I'm going to try it on my husband! He will certainly protest.!

Jay586 Sun 04-Sep-16 09:37:25

Anyone looking for exercise ideas, Google Eldergym. Hate the name but it looks an interesting site.

Jay586 Fri 02-Sep-16 19:55:23

No problem.

Spent all day yesterday discussing strategies for moving & gut health. (-:

Bellanonna Thu 01-Sep-16 23:44:40

Thanks for the motivation!

Jay586 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:46:36

Even if you have the surgery, having stronger muscles will help. My mum got too debilitated before her knees were done & it's taken years to get a bit stronger. She had physio before her shoulder was done & it's almost as good as new now. Hang in there!

Bellanonna Wed 31-Aug-16 22:56:19

I've printed off the AAOS link given a few posts back and find it useful. I've done one lot of all the exercises and will try hard to keep myself motivated. I'm not good st thst but if it helps to postpone the inevitable surgery it'll be worth it

Jay586 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:35:32

I went on a Chi Running course several years ago but apply it to my walking, helps, I think.

Bellanonna Tue 30-Aug-16 19:12:43

Just going to look up Chi Walking

Bellanonna Tue 30-Aug-16 19:11:50

I tried some ankle exercises Jay586. Thanks for the tip. Do keep coming in, won't you.

Jay586 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:54:32

Folks, if any of you are suffering osteoporosis, Google Griffith Uni, powerlifting, osteoporosis. They've been doing some interesting work.

On another note, I saw the thread on "best" exercise. It's a bit like the "best diet", variety! Don't just eat carrots....even tho they are " good for you". Eat the rainbow & exercise is the same, some walking, swimming, running if it suits, some strength (bodyweight is fine, more than most people lift in a gym) & some mobility (#5minuteflow).

Jay586 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:04:34

One thought on walking, have a look at Chi Walking. It's a technique that is supposed to help with impact when walking.

Other thought is if your calves are really tight, try rolling them, should reduce tension on the knee. Also investigate ankle mobility... knees are slaves to the hips & ankles.

Jay586 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:18:22

Bella, I think exercise with an injury has to be very personal. I don't jog, for instance. So if walking is hard, do it in short bouts and defo in the swimming pool. Problem with not walking is that the calves pump the excess liquid back up the body, hence it's easy to retain water if you don't walk & you lose muscle tone.

I do wear neoprene knee sleeves when I exercise as I have a condition called a medial plica in my knee. Good for warming the joints.

Jay586 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:11:07

Not heard if the Hanna Somatics, sorry.

Jay586 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:10:29

That'll teach me not to preview a post...

Loopy, what do you fancy doing?

Think something for strength, so the post above might help, a bit of walking, swimming is good, agree about finding a nice pool...then something you enjoy? Dancing, gardening, gym, a class?

Jay586 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:06:54

As ever with interweb "advice", priceed with caution. This link might help with knees... Adapt the exercises to where yiu are currently & if it feels tught ok, shooting or sharp pain, its time for a physio!

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://orthoinfo.org/PDFs/Rehab_Knee_6.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiJto_V4eHOAhXGCMAKHavYDTAQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFTO6MRgw2UZkjIIQ0g6TVsNoQ0Ug&sig2=6FttaDK-DWcVoLwtaMC6Xg