Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(827 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

Mamie Sun 30-Apr-17 11:15:23

We have just started eating our own cauliflowers from the garden. They are a heritage variety and quite loosely formed so I have been using much more of the stem and leaves. Delicious flavour and texture. We have a lot of cauliflower gratin, saff or parmesan mash and spicy florets done in a pan with a splash of water. We did Ottolenghi's whole roast the other day and that was lovely too.
It is the village May day walk and picnic tomorrow and I am making the pear and almond brownies. OH is making a fougasse as they like his bread!

BBbevan Sun 30-Apr-17 21:25:24

I remember you posting about the May day walk last year Mamie I had not long discovered this thread and had been newly diagnosed as diabetic. 1 year on and thanks to you and the others on here I have maintained my weight loss, reversed the diabetes and my hair has now recovered and is growing nicely. Thank you all and enjoy May day whatever you may be doing

Mamie Mon 01-May-17 05:06:01

That is lovely to hear BBbevan.
The wind is howling and it is chucking it down, but we will hope for the best. We meet at 9 to exchange kisses and lily of the valley. ?

Anya Mon 01-May-17 07:56:38

That is indeed lovely to hear BB smile just goes to show what can be done with a bit of will power (well quite a lot of will power in fact)

Mamie wishing you some sunshine

Lazigirl Mon 01-May-17 11:01:55

Very well done BB. I don't think I'd have managed similar without support on here either. Why do people pay to go to WW - we don't charge as much here! grin. I love the idea of exchanging kisses and lily of the valley Mamie, even in the rain. We need more of that here but we are in the midst of election mania!

Mamie Mon 01-May-17 17:35:51

Well it didn't rain, but the wind was freezing, I was ? by the end of the picnic (should have had a quick nip of Calvados like everyone else). It was a fascinating walk with an expert on local history, so very enjoyable (though a fair bit of election fever here too Lazigirl).

Mamie Fri 19-May-17 15:16:33

How is everyone doing? Still changing between summer barbecues and winter casseroles here. This week we have had temperatures of 30° and 13° on consecutive days.
Today we have been for a looong French lunch with neighbours. Our hostess had worked really hard to give us a low-carb meal of crudités and salmon with vegetables, which we thought was really kind. We finished with a raspberry tart which was not exactly low-carb, but utterly delicious. I was also very taken with the starter of tiny round of toasts from a baguette, with goat's cheese and a hint of honey.

Riverwalk Fri 19-May-17 15:38:54

I've been very much off the wagon and gained 10lbs blush

At the beginning of the year I attempted to reduce my cholesterol by having a daily Benecol and reducing dietary cholesterol, plus I've had a few trips which piled on the pounds. I haven't been back to the GP to be re-tested but I can't imagine that I've reduced my numbers, particularly as apart from the Benecol I didn't really stick to no eggs, red meat etc.

Anyway, as of Monday I've been back on the wagon.

Anya Fri 19-May-17 16:37:18

Riverwalk unless you suffer from Familial hypercholesterolemia reducing dietary cholesterol will not lower your own cholesterol confused

I've been sticking to a modified low carb regime, still almost no bread or potatoes, except as a rare treat, and definitely NO rice or pasta because there are so much better, tastier alternatives. My weight is able the same, but so long as my BMI hovers around the 25 mark I'm happy,

My lovely newly qualified GP is very happy with my diet especially as it contains plenty of cheese and full fat yoghurt and doesn't want me to compromise my bone health by losing more weight (I had osteoporosis but now it's reduced to osteopenia smile ) and she's happy with my cholesterol ratio.

Those mini toast baguettes sound lovely. I did something similar Mamie but used fig balsamic vinegar instead of honey.

Mamie Fri 19-May-17 16:54:01

Yes that would be good Anya. The base of the raspberry tart was interesting as it was ground almond, butter, egg (and a bit of sugar). Lovely and light and crisp.
We declined the nut wine, but got given a bottle to bring home. ?

Riverwalk Fri 19-May-17 16:54:51

I knew it was a long-shot Anya but thought worth trying - although I have no idea if it worked as I went off that wagon as well!

My GP did think it a good idea and it was she who recommended the Benecol. I've read various articles (including Michael Mosley) which indicate that some lowering can be achieved by eating less dietary cholesterol, plus foods said to lower cholesterol e.g. rapeseed oil, pearl barley, tofu, etc. I expect to end up on statins.

BBbevan Sat 20-May-17 05:23:37

All my 'markers', BP, cholesterol,blood sugar etc, have gone down on the LCHF diet.Riverwalk I have put on 3lb since we moved, but a few 16-8 fasts ought to see that gone. Glad everyone is well and looking forward to the summer.

Mamie Sat 20-May-17 06:23:38

I find that all my changes in weight seem to be with fluid retention. A few hot days and I put on a pound then the weather changes and it goes. After a journey I retain fluid for a few days too - very bizarre. I don't know if I am just more aware of it or if it is a low-carb thing.
Barbecued duck and fig tonight and some more of the lovely Spanish asparagus we have been getting. The fruit from the south is late arriving this year and a lot of growers were hit by the hard frosts we had a couple of weeks ago. My plum crop has been wiped out.

Riverwalk Sat 20-May-17 06:57:22

You'be done really well BB - can you please tell me about a typical 16-8 day, what you eat, timings, etc.

BBbevan Sat 20-May-17 12:00:23

Riverwalk DietDoctor .co.uk is a good place to start for food suggestions. There is loads of advice on this thread and Mamie keeps us regulars up to scratch.
On a normal day I would eat

Full fat Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast.
Some sort of omelette or home made soup for lunch( no bread)
Chicken or steak and a large salad for dinner.
I drink mostly water or fruit teas.

16-8 is easy Just don't have breakfast Start eating about 1 p.m. If you go to bed at 10 and get up at 8 you have already done 10 hours and all asleep too
Good luck. Hope it goes well

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 16:55:16

Thought I'd share today's lovely summery lunch

It's a Delia

Foil wrap (tent) salmon pieces with dribble of white wine, salt and pepper a bay leaf and pice of tarragon on each piece. 15-20 mins at 180c Allow to cool in foil

Whizz an avocado, creme fraich tsp sherry vinegar garlic clove and salt and pepper to a smooth sauce.

Serve with salad or just watercress.

I didn't have one but a glass of white would have gone down well.

Lazigirl Mon 22-May-17 17:00:58

Sounds just lovely whitewave. Will have to try it - but why no wine, what happened to the wine you dribbled with? smile

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 17:02:39

Well to be honest I might have one tonight so have to be sensible!!

BBbevan Wed 24-May-17 05:36:31

Snap tow up 3 times in the night and now woken early. Had a small steak and a large salad last evening which is not unusual. We have " coastal mist" this morning but have been promised sunshine later

BBbevan Mon 29-May-17 06:06:01

I made a 'raw' cheesecake yesterday. Bottom was made from dates and nuts. The top from nuts soaked in coconut milk and then put in a food processor until the consistency of a thick cream . Other things added such as a little maple syrup, lime juice and coconut oil. Then it was put in the freezer. It was delicious.I will try a lemon one next times.

Anya Mon 29-May-17 16:13:26

Sounds like something we'd enjoy. Recipe? smile

BBbevan Mon 29-May-17 18:37:32

Here is said recipe Mamie

For the cheesecake top layer
75 g macadamia nuts
85g cashew kernels
75g coconut oil
90ml full fat coconut milk
6tbsp lemon juice ( I used lime)
50ml maple syrup
Zest of lemon or lime

For the base
200g pitted dates
165g pistachio kernels
90g blanched almonds

To serve
Grated zest and chopped pistachios

1). Soak macadamia nuts and cashews in the coconut milk. At least 6hrs or overnight.
2) Blend all the base ingredients in a food processor until they come together. Then spoon into a 24cm diameter loose based tin, and press down to cover the base
3) Make the cheese cake layer by putting all the ingredients except the zest in the food processor.Blend until smooth, then add the zest and pulse a few times.
Pour on top of the base and freeze for at least a couple of hours. Take out of freezer 2hrs before needed and decorate the top with zest and nuts.

Recipe says serves 10-12 people

We had a dollop of cream on top

Hope you enjoy it ❤️???

BBbevan Mon 29-May-17 18:39:09

Sorry Anya

Anya Tue 30-May-17 06:51:58

Thanks smile

JaneD3 Sat 03-Jun-17 11:14:54

Hi! New to Gransnet and just seen your blog! I have been an Atkins dieter on and off for years, which is just low carb really. Lost 3 1/2 stones since last Sept but I have slipped a bit recently and put on half a stone ? . Back to the diet now.