Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(827 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

BBbevan Wed 31-Aug-16 06:46:38

Izabella how do you make kale crisps please. They sound very moreish

Anya Wed 31-Aug-16 08:01:46

Yes, recipé please.

Well it's 3 weeks today I broke my arms and today I can feel a definite reduction in pain smile and a bit wider range of movement in the right one. Beginning to think there's a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

I'd like to invite you all to raise a virtual glass with me on Sunday breakfast time afternoon, in the garden to celebrate the end to my 100-day alcohol-free challenge wine

All our lovely newcomers are invited too. It's great to 'see' more converts to this easy way of eating to stay (or behind) slim and healthy..

Anya Wed 31-Aug-16 08:03:26

That should read 'stay ( or become) slim and healthy.

Anya Wed 31-Aug-16 08:04:40

.....the 'behind' will also become slimmer of course too.....

ffinnochio Wed 31-Aug-16 08:23:24

Very pleased the pain is lessening Anya, and will happily join you on Sunday afternoon smile.

Last night's supper was a very simple plate of deliciously grilled sardines, with squished lemon juice & black pepper + tomatoe salad. MrF had slices of Serrano ham.

Why am I beginning to think of eating meat again? I stopped eating it at the start of the menopause because I just didn't fancy it, but now, post -m, beginning to feel like it again. It's a mystery. confused

BBbevan Wed 31-Aug-16 08:44:47

We will join you willingly on SundayAnya Glad you are feeling better.

Using up stuff from the freezer now so I think it may be Paprika chicken tonight ( UFO. Unidentified frozen object )

Izabella Wed 31-Aug-16 08:47:37

Kale: we have the black Nero kale ready at the moment, black colour with very long thin leaves like tongues.

So pick and wash. Remove central spine and put in salad spinner to remove excess water, then shred the leaves. Place in a large mixing bowl. Add a glug of whichever oil you prefer and crushed garlic. Sea salt to taste.. Rub together with hands and spread evenly on baking sheets. Place in oven at 50degrees c leaving a wooden spoon in the door to keep it barely ajar. Turn as needed. When crisp put into airtight containers.

Oils: plain or flavoured (e.g. With chilli)
Other flavours, try crushed cashews, or try wasabi powder or anything you fancy really. Great way of getting greens down the little ones but you need to hoover up afterwards!! Gets everywhere.

Anya so good to hear things are improving.

Izabella Wed 31-Aug-16 08:48:38

..... Finely shred the leaves

Anya Wed 31-Aug-16 11:14:32

Thanks Izabella all our black kale was eaten by caterpillars a couple of weeks ago, but think this would work with curly too.

Mamie Wed 31-Aug-16 11:27:19

Anya so glad things are better and will join you in a glass on Sunday - from a balcony overlooking the Mediterranean....
Kale crisps sound great will definitely try.
Lots of last-minute stuff here and the chase round the property to find the right fridge is adding to the fun. hmm
We are actually having a small amount of rice tonight as I decided a while ago that there is just no substitute for it in paella, and we only have it once every couple of months. So 30g of well-soaked Spanish rice each, random fish bits from the freezer, chorizo, green beans, tomatoes, saffron, etc etc.
Am going to try courgette lasagne tomorrow before we head for the south...

BBbevan Wed 31-Aug-16 11:35:13

Thanks Izabella

Lazigirl Thu 01-Sep-16 15:42:14

Have just seen on BBC magazine site that M Mosley has done some studies on apple cider vinegar, which we have mentioned on here before. Apparently very positive effects on blood sugar and cholesterol if taken before meals. Useful info. Sorry will have to learn to do links. Have also seen article about Morphy Richards electric spiralizer, which sounds much easier than the manual thing that I've got. Less wastage too. Only downside - £49.99. I'm still saving for a lovely Tagine like Mamie's & Anya's.

BBbevan Thu 01-Sep-16 16:24:55

I've tried that apple cider vinegar thing. YUK Trouble is you don't know what would have happened if you hadn't taken it. grin

Mamie Thu 01-Sep-16 16:36:35

I got some to try with OH's arthritis. He thought it was revolting and refused to take it. It worked a charm as a floor cleaner and weed killer though. grin
Veal shin in white wine, sage and cream, with courgettes cooked in a parcel with butter tonight.

Lazigirl Thu 01-Sep-16 16:56:56

I wonder if it would work in salad dressings etc just as well rather than dosing with it? Apparently has no effect on alleviating arthritis Mamie so your OH was vindicated! Have a good holiday, will be thinking of you on sun soaked balcony enjoying wine with Anya. I will also be joining her, but probably in rainy Shropshire.....

shysal Thu 01-Sep-16 17:01:08

WOW! Just made some curly kale crisps. They are delicious! I slightly overdid the oil and salt, but next time they should be even better.

Mamie Thu 01-Sep-16 17:54:54

Thanks Lazigirl. The balcony is over the beach with a lovely little cove. This will be our fifth year there.
Just a 1000km of road to cover.... (But at least we don't have to cross the Channel). grin

ffinnochio Tue 06-Sep-16 17:05:27

A few days late Anya , but congratulations on your 100 days. Hope you celebrated in style sunshine

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 22:24:35

Raised a glass with DD at a local hostlery sitting in the sun, thank you ffin and others.

Mamie Wed 07-Sep-16 05:23:17

Just checking in from the balcony to say hello and hope everyone is doing well. Swimming twice a day and enjoying a diet of fish, barbecues, salads, local cheeses and rosé.
Looking around me the Mediterranean diet seems to involve a lot of chips and ice-cream. grin

BBbevan Wed 07-Sep-16 08:25:43

I have a confession to make. Since we are moving I am trying to empty the freezer. I came across a half used packet of fish fingers ( bought for the GDs). So we had a fish finger sandwich with white bread for lunch. It was lovely at the time but has haunted me since. Mea Culpa blush
Well doneAnya and enjoy your holiday Mamie I shall have a balcony overlooking the sea next week as we are off on a cruise

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 10:20:47

Go and sit in the corner BB [naughty naughty emoticon]

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 10:21:24

Mamie grin

Lazigirl Wed 07-Sep-16 19:23:32

Have you recovered from the wine Anya? Must have been shock to system. I will join BB in naughty corner as just about to have ice cream with strawberries. Need comfort food, very stressful on The Archers at mo!

BBbevan Thu 08-Sep-16 05:08:24

I'm out of the naughty corner now and eating icecream with Lazigirl Salt and caramel Oppo from Waitrose .