Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Anyone doing the 5:2 diet?

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 07-Dec-16 13:51:03

I have no idea at all how one might know whether one was eating 500 calories! - or indeed 5 million!

Jane10 Wed 07-Dec-16 13:22:16

Gosh I don't know Marelli. I suppose a key thing is not to take them on an empty stomach.
I'm planning to start back on the 5:2 diet next week. I gave myself permission to pause for the week before and 6weeks after op. I may not lose weight on it but it certainly had a very positive effect on my general metabolism which is good enough for me!

Marelli Wed 07-Dec-16 11:58:18

I've been doing this diet for a few weeks now, and do feel a lot better for it, really. Not so bloated, more energy, etc.
I'm just a bit concerned about how, on the 500 calorie day, that I should take my prescribed painkillers. Or even if I should? How do others deal with this?

Jane10 Sat 24-Sep-16 10:49:52

Thank CrazyDaisy! I think I blew it yesterday and ate far too much. However, I'll be much more sensible today and tomorrow and am fasting again on Monday. You live and learn! I'm all for keeping it sensible and gradual. No chance of me fasting more than twice a week. Good luck all.

CrazyDaisy Sat 24-Sep-16 09:44:50

I re-started the diet last week. I lost a stone last year but after being on holiday, put it all back on. My fault entirely but now summer is on its way in this part of the world, I really need to lose that stone and a couple more! Any encouragement will be gratefully received.
Jane10 I hope your knee gets better soon flowers

Jay586 Sat 24-Sep-16 09:32:18

I lost 3st.

Work your calories out over the week, so that you get a reasonable calorie deficit, approx 500 per day is about a lb a week.

1200 on other days is too low, unless you are very small, as averaged that's less than a 1000 cals a day & that can lead to metabolism issues.

I normally only comment on my own thread but I was a member of the Fast Day forum & we had so many members who basically starved. You lose muscle in preference to fat on calories too low, end up lighter but with worse body composition & it's not sustainable. Count cals on fast days, eat reasonably on the other days.

Done properly, it's an excellent way to lose fat & has a lot of other benefits.

M0nica Fri 23-Sep-16 11:11:59

I lost two stone on this diet 2 years ago, although I did have to keep an eye on what I was eating on non-fast days to make it work. I did 500 on fast days, loosely around 1200 on non-fast days, except for days like yesterday,( DH's birthday) when went to our favourite restaurant for a celebratory meal - and celebrated without counting any calories at all.

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:04:05

I've just started this one. I am stuck at home with a bad knee and can't be doing my usual activities. I decided to focus on something positive that I can do and hit on this diet. Its been around for ages since Dr Michael Moseley featured it.
If you don't know it its a 'fast' diet. 5 days a week you eat normally and 2 days you only have 500cals. Its the fasting that seems to have a proven benefit for cholesterol, bp, blood sugar etc. I'd thought I'd feel faint and headachy but I don't. Its fine. The best thing is that I can look forward to eating normally next day and don't become obsessed with food as I always seemed to on previous diets.
This seems doable to me and already my jeans have slackened off. I'm not doing weighing and measuring. They're just numbers. My clothes will keep me informed!!