Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Help, oh expert fit people of Gransnet!

(66 Posts)
Crumble Thu 06-Apr-17 12:13:48

I've decided to take action against my complete laziness. Does anybody have a fitbit or similar? how do they work? Have you found yours effective? Which one would you recommend?
I hate the gym but I have realised I do need to get moving more. Not only the trousers getting tight but I reckon lethargy feeds lethargy.

Lewlew Fri 07-Apr-17 10:19:14

Walking... it's a habit you have to get into and not just for non-wet days. We walk to the shops, walk the dog we share with stepson on a lead (she needs a march, too, and not just a dash about with the ball).

It is a habit... like brushing your teeth. If you are going to do the 1/2 hour daily trek to shops and back or a round route near you, it needs to get to the point where you feel itchy if you don't do it.

As Yorkshiregel says, it's what goes into your mouth. I made a lot of food substitutions after back surgery. No cakes, but fruit or oat bars. I like crisps, but have only 1 little bag in a week as a treat. Or anything else that is calorific is now only had as a weekly treat. Look at the kcal content, especially the sugars.

HINT: DGD likes the Organix brand of snacks. I like them, too! They fill the hole, low salt and sugar and they can be very tasty.

And I do drink a probiotic daily as well. I do find that even if it's psychological, my stomach does not growl as much... especially when I pass the bakery window! grin

Babs1952 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:21:30

DH and I both have the little Fitbit which you can pop in your pocket. We wear them every day often competing to see who has the most steps. Zumba gives me 6000 steps an hour - but that's just once a week at the mo! I try for 10,000 steps a day sometimes it's a lot more sometimes less. It does motivate you to get moving more and I need the motivation! ?

adaunas Fri 07-Apr-17 10:21:52

I use the fitness app on my watch, and before that , I used an app called Pedometer on my phone. It measures paces and stair climbs. I run, swim and cycle several times a week and did before I got the watch but you'd never guess from my less than svelte figure! The best piece of advice I've seen is on a bus stop. It says something like 'walking briskly turns a ten minute walk into exercise'.

Carolb25 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:21:56

Wonder what a 67 year old can aim for? I'm not too unfit or overweight. My problem is suppleness and I'm worried doing yoga and Pilates because of a hip replacement three years ago.

Lilyflower Fri 07-Apr-17 10:31:57

My daughter bought the DH a Fitbit for Father's Day and I had one too. While sceptical about these gadgets I have found it to be grat fun and it really challenges you to exercise daily. I aim for 10,000 steps a day and as my housework is partb of my fitness regime (no expensive gyms for me) I often clock up a few thousand before I leave the house though my walk of at least 40 minutes will add many more.

I have the 'Fitbit Charge' and it measures steps, heart rate, miles/kilometers covered/ calories/ flights of stairs climbed and the new one will even pass on your iPhone texts.

My DH is a bit competitive as you can compare your score with others on the joint score board online. However, I don't bother with this as I am only monitoring my own fitness.

Lindajane Fri 07-Apr-17 10:36:16

I've got a Fitbit and I find that it encourages me to move more. It really encourages me to get my 10,000 steps in. It might not be absolute accurate, but it's good enough for me.

justrolljanet Fri 07-Apr-17 10:42:59

I have a Fitbit, I love it, it gives me the push I need to get to my required steps every day it also made me realise that I wasn't sleeping as long and as well as I could be so I made changes to help me improve that, go on treat yourself, in my opinion worth every penny, I had mine as a Christmas gift, it was the cheapest version on Amazon ?

Mercedes55 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:43:52

I've used a Fitbit for about 15mths now and love it. I have no doubts that they aren't entirely accurate, but they do give you an idea of how many steps you are doing and are an encouragement to get moving. My GP has one and he thinks they are a great idea!

I always make sure I do at least 10,000 steps a day and if I haven't got to my target I will march in front of the TV until I have. I do 25mins of hula hooping a day, walk the dog and swim occasionally and don't have any weight problems so I'm not trying to lose weight, just trying to keep fit.

Lewlew Fri 07-Apr-17 10:45:14

Carolb25 Ask your doctor or read up on exercise after hip replacements. I had back surgery and was cautioned in the first year about Pilates, but after that was told anything that helps with keeping my spine flexible and healthy is good (NOT weightlifting though!).

Walking whilst minding my posture has done the trick and I feel stiff if I do not walk as I work from home on my computer and can get into wrong positions easily even though I have a foot rest and special chair.

Carmel46 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:55:28

I have a fitbit (POLAR) which was recommended by my cardio rehab physiotherapist. Not only does it tell me how many steps I've walked in a day (target 10,000) but also my training activity (walking, cycling, strength training), calories and fat burnt etc. I have to synchronise it with my computer and physiotherapist can keep track of my activity! This spurs me on to make sure I reach my targets. It also logs my heart rate, sleep patterns etc. If I'm sitting for more than 55 minutes, it buzzes to tell me I need to get moving! Like others, I find it quite addictive.

Hm999 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:57:46

Love my fitbit. I use it walking puppy on beach, use it when walking round shops, it encourages me to walk not take car/ catch bus, it inspires me to hit my target. Was given it as a present for Christmas

FarNorth Fri 07-Apr-17 11:11:53

25 mins of hula-hooping Mercedes55! Respect!
I got a hula hoop recently and have progressed from 30 secs to 1 min. blush

Rorysnana Fri 07-Apr-17 11:27:17

I love my Fitbit Charge, really gives me a buzz when my steps are up. I'm 66 and member of a gym. Work with a personal trainer (who's like my son) and do 6 x half hour a month and add in more myself. I initially lost 2 stones and 2 dress sizes. Went from a stretched 14, nearly 16 (cried when had to buy bigger shorts for a holiday) so did something about it. My nutrition is now spot on, I'm stronger and happier and a size 10/12. The best thing my trainer ever said to me was "you can be anything you want to be!" I work as a qualified Christian Counsellor one day a week (voluntary) and work part-time as an Examinations Invigilator in schools, am married with 4 children and 4 grandchildren. Life is jam-packed. I think it's important to stay healthy and strong and good nutrition is 80% of weight management. Go for it!! I do the Workweek Hustle and the Weekend Warrior on my Fitbit with a few friends and we spur each other on to do more steps! I try for 10,000 a day, don't always, and then sometimes do nearly twice that (after gym, shopping and digging our allotment!) My highest was 33,000 when on holiday in Lanzarote in January - I walked between resorts while my husband had a cycling day and we met up later. Life is what you make it. This is only my 2nd ever comment on gransnet but I read regularly

SunnySusie Fri 07-Apr-17 11:47:48

Just following on from the post from nipsmum about the health benefits of dog walking, if you dont have a dog and maybe dont want to actually own one, you can borrow a dog. There is a web site called Borrow My Doggie to match up owners and those who would like to share. You can search for dogs near to you, put up a profile saying when you are available, or indeed if you already own a dog and need a bit of help you can upload your request. Potentially its a nice way of making friends in your local area too - dog walking is quite sociable. I havent used it yet myself, but I have been looking at the site for a while now.

Gymstagran Fri 07-Apr-17 11:57:40

Farnorth I'm sure it would be OK on tablet just need to download the app

Mypennyfarthing41 Fri 07-Apr-17 11:59:36

How l envy you fit ladies, l do exercise mostly by walking our lovely dogs, but nearly pushing 80 with 2.5 cancers behind me, on Chemo drugs etc and complete thyroid replacement, plus getting any bug around + courtesy of Chemo drug ...Ruins immune system... Plus osteoarthritis in knees .....L used to ice skate, ride and play really hard tennis. And was quite skinny - also my darling man has Alzheimer's
Ho Hum.
Actually lve now had a rant, thank goodness that's over - can't.stand moaning
Minnie's. Forgive me please.
As soon as, lm returning to Pilates_____that was great, and I'll buck myself up

Mauriherb Fri 07-Apr-17 11:59:43

Also following on from the dog walking theme, is there a local rescue? They are always after volunteers to walk the dogs and you feel more committed (but not compelled) to make the effort

JackieBee1 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:40:20

Mypennyfarthing41

flowers

winifred01 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:05:42

My fit bit was bought for me by my family for my 80th birthday! I love it ,use it in conjunction with my Kindle. Measures steps, pulse rate,sleep flights of stairs climbed. Sure I am fitter than 10 years ago
Encourages me to do more exercise and weigh less than I did.

henbane Fri 07-Apr-17 13:33:11

I build walking in to my routine. In the morning I decide what I need to buy for dinner, check where it is on offer and then in the afternoon I walk to the appropriate supermarket! I only ever use a basket, not a trolley, to make sure that I don't buy more than will go in my backpack. If it is too heavy I get a bus back, otherwise I walk both ways.

Sometimes this means I'm walking for 25 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes, but because I'm doing it 4 or 5 times a week it adds up. I use a pedometer - cheaper than a fitbit but doesn't measure your heart rate - mine's an Omron which measures time & no of steps for "aerobic" walking as well as steps overall. If you still think in miles check that you get one that will do imperial as well as metric though. I put the steps each day into a spreadsheet so I can make sure I keep up a good weekly average (anal I know).

I have wondered about upgrading to a fitbit or similar, but because I need a walking stick for balance I don't swing my arms, so I'm not sure something worn on the wrist would work properly, does anyone know?

kissygrandma Fri 07-Apr-17 13:39:23

I've just bought one. I'm fairly fit anyway, martial arts twice a week and the odd (very odd) run. But I know I need to move more and I can't move more unless I know how much I move to start with. So I bought a cheap one and it does the job. Helps you keep on top of what you're doing and doesn't pretend I've exercised when I know I haven't really!

Kim19 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:49:33

No idea what a Fitbit is. What worked for me was doing the same route each and every day. This saved me the convenient delaying tactic of 'where will I go today'. Seems a bit robotic and.....indeed it kind of is but I tended to meet different people and see different things. At first it was a kind of novelty and then a wee bit of a chore but now I don't even give it a second thought before I'm up and out there. Really rather miss it if my routine has to change in a way that cannot include a walk of some sort. I wasn't exactly a couch potato but I think I was on the cusp. Changed days indeed and......oh so happy about the general feeling of wellbeing. The loss of three and a half stones is an added bonus!!! This has been over three years so I'm no speedy miracle worker. If I can do it anybody can. Be encouraged and go for it. Good luck.

Anya Fri 07-Apr-17 13:51:16

It's not just about what you put in your mouth (yikes! Some GP need retraining!) but also about how much you move.

Fitbits aren't fiddly. I just clip mine into my jeans pocket and that's it. I've looked at it for the first time today and I've notched up 5,200 so far. And, providing they as on your torso, they are very accurate. They're great for the sad and compulsive like Maggiemaybe and myself those who like to set a goal.

When I turned 70 I had a quiet talk to myself and now I do 20 minutes excercise (started off as 5 minutes) in my bedroom almost every morning, targeting all parts of body, literally from my neck to my ankles. It's paying off too. I'm less creaky, more toned and things that used to ache don't any more.

Id say to the OP 'go for it'! Set yourself a target and aim to achieve it.

middleagespread Fri 07-Apr-17 14:27:51

I wear a Fitbit and it's a great feeling when it buzzes when I reach my daily goal of 10,000 steps. My two daughters also wear them and we can connect through our smart phones and have a little gentle competition. Because I almost always 'win' they conclude I must have more time on my hands than them and they're probably right.They both work and have small children. Although their children like to bimble alongside me I had forgotten how slow toddlers walk, stopping to examine a worm or a leaf.So my fast times are with my collie Rosie who could walk to the moon and back and then want to play ball.

middleagespread Fri 07-Apr-17 14:30:12

feel lost without my Fitbit now.Challenging myself and I go to bed weary.