Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The Plan Diet revisited

(19 Posts)
NanKate Thu 26-Oct-17 21:05:59

This is one of the few diets I remember enjoying in the 1980s as I did not feel hungry. In 2006 Audrey Eyton revamped the diet for modern times, I fancy giving it a go if I can get a copy of the book which could be out of print.

Has anyone tried it ?

Anniebach Thu 26-Oct-17 21:19:23

Did she not have success with a book called the 'f diet'

MawBroon Thu 26-Oct-17 22:50:06

The ‘F’ Plan Diet?
High fibre?
Oh those diets of yesteryear, the Mayo Clinic Diet, and the Grapefruit Diet gringrin

merlotgran Thu 26-Oct-17 22:55:46

Didn't they used to say it was not a good idea to sit downwind of anyone on the F Plan Diet? shock

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Oct-17 23:53:57

I took my book to the charity shop just the other week! Ah, fibre filler, what a way to start the day. grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Oct-17 23:58:17

It wasn’t bad as diets go. Lots of fruit and veg, pulses and wholegrain stuff. You never felt hungry. I might go and buy my book back if it’s still there.
grin

NanKate Fri 27-Oct-17 02:03:03

Yes it was called the F Plan Diet, I just forgot to add the letter F in my title of this thread, what a numpty I am.

I suppose I should just stop faffing about and just eat less and move more. When I was 60 I managed to lose 3 stone on my own, it took me about 18 months. I managed to keep it off for about ten years until I went onto steroids last year, but that is no excuse I just need to have the resolve I had then.

BBbevan Fri 27-Oct-17 03:27:51

Try fasting NanKare After your evening meal don't eat again until lunchtime or late morning. Just a few days a week often shifts the pounds and is quite easy to do. Do drink though.

MesMopTop Fri 27-Oct-17 06:55:38

I found that cutting back on my portion sizes helped a lot. I use a smaller plate and divide it up to give me a quarter plate of protein and s quarter of carbs, the other half I fill with vegs. I also watch what I put on the vegs and carbs, I try not to use a lot of butter and use salad dressings that don't have much oil. I don't have rich sauces or gravy. I have lots of fresh fruits too and try not to eat after 6pm. I've also cut out as much processed food as I can and as for a cake or biccie, well, that's out too. On days when we are eating out I do allow myself to eat and enjoy, I just try choose wisely. I allow myself a little bit of a treat though and will have some of the delicious looking desserts, but just a small portion.

chelseababy Fri 27-Oct-17 09:55:46

Apparently Matalan have some divided up plates (carbs/protein/veg) for £3. Might help some.

loopyloo Sun 12-Nov-17 07:54:49

I have every diet book there is, I think. But no I don't still have the F plan.
Mesmoptop I think your advice is very sound. I did notice yesterday after the local fitness walk when we went for coffee I was the only person who had a biscuit. But I had had breakfast at 7am and it was 12 midday so felt I needed something. You can see why I am a pre diabetic. As other people say, I should leave breakfast as late as possible.
Thanks everyone, GN very helpful.

Nandalot Sun 12-Nov-17 09:01:38

I bought one of the Matalan plates. I was surprised how large it was! My portions look a bit lost on it but I stick to the ratio.

shysal Sun 12-Nov-17 14:54:49

I think any diet works if you are in the right frame of mind to stick to it. I had success with alternate day fasting a few years ago after a thyroid problem caused me to put on about 3 stone. I have recently tried it again but just couldn't manage it. I therefore bought a set of Slimming World starter pack booklets from Ebay so that I didn't need to attend meetings or pay for the on line version. I can see why they have good success. There is so much that can be eaten, in any quantity, as so called 'free foods', that I never feel hungry. I have lost 8lb in 4 weeks with no trouble. I am happy for a slow loss as long as it goes in the right direction. Talking of portion sizes, they have got bigger but SW advise against cutting down on the amounts as long as each meal is made up of at least a third 'speed foods'. Very easy to follow and little counting apart from the daily allowance of less healthy 'Syns'.
Whichever method you choose, I wish you success!

Blinko Mon 13-Nov-17 12:41:27

There's another current thread, the 16:8 diet. Only of course it's a way of controlling consumption, not actually dieting as such. Lot's of us having a go.

Blinko Mon 13-Nov-17 12:41:59

Please excuse the apostrophe. It must have crept in...

NanKate Mon 13-Nov-17 13:56:24

Thank you BBevan for your suggestion I will try the fasting that you suggest.

JamesM12 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:24:33

I agree with BBevan. Along with the exercise we need to have a proper diet. The food we eat really affects.

ramshaKhan04 Mon 02-Jul-18 10:46:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Mon 02-Jul-18 10:51:04

Grannies/suck egg/teach ???