Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

16:8 diet

(396 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 05-Nov-17 22:17:33

Tell us how you are getting on

Kim19 Sat 05-Dec-20 08:01:22

Jane 10. Hello! Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I've always attributed my discovery of 8/16 to you. I had my success 8 years ago (and never looked back). Have I (and you) actually been around GN that long? I'm astonished. The reason I have a time awareness is that my motivation was arrival of first GC and she's 8 now. Gosh..... time......

BBbevan Wed 19-Aug-20 09:49:36

Yes I am. This is a way of life for me now. No diabetic blood sugar issues for 5 yrs now and my weight has remained constant.

Sillymoo Tue 18-Aug-20 15:31:31

I've weighed in today at my heaviest ever and a football shaped belly! Are you allowed drinks (with milk) outside the 8 hours? Presumably not. How's everyone getting on? Anyone tried starting with a ten hour window then reducing to 9 then 8? Any tips?

seacliff Mon 10-Aug-20 08:02:53

I am going to try this. I have been eating anytime/all the time, and the wrong things. I don't have working scales but I know I am heavier than ever.

People say try changing just one thing, to make it a new habit. So my first resolve is - I am not eating until 11am and last food at 7pm. I am hungry now, but will drink lots of water. I have some berries and oats ready, will have with FF Greek yoghurt, and strawberries and pineapple, and a few seeds.

I will try and eat healthy in that 8 hours, but if I must have a choc bar I will, for now. Hoping this will make me get into a healthier way of eating.

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:45:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Luckylegs Thu 02-Jul-20 22:43:27

I’ve started this again as it was ok and worked last time. It feels actually too easy so maybe I’m eating too much in the 8 hours! A doctor once told us not to eat anything with flour in it so I’m not eating much bread at all and no biscuits. My problem is I have a cup of tea with half a spoon of sugar at 10 pm and that’s when I’d like a biscuit!

masha Fri 12-Jun-20 15:45:14

warrior's diet is similar to 8/16 fasting and shows a good result. It is described in detail here, maybe someone will be interested) sweetsaltythings.com/warrior-diet-101-everything-you-wanted-to-know-but-were-afraid-to-ask/amp/# comment-8

GrannyIris5 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:09:11

Have you read the Jason Fung books about fasting?

Jane10 Sun 28-Oct-18 07:28:27

That is terrific paddyann but it's really not very much food. Do you get hungry at all?

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Oct-18 07:21:09

That's fantastic paddyann! Well done!

paddyann Sun 28-Oct-18 01:44:32

I've done well on this,I have my first meal around mid day ,usually porrage and fruit ,at 3 its a slim a soup and a weightwatchers yoghourt and some time before 7 I have my main meal .I've cut bread out altogether too.Lost just over two and a half stone since the end of May and gone from a size 16 to a 10.It's done wonders for my herniated disc and I'm almost pain free .

grannypauline Sat 27-Oct-18 23:34:48

I am very grateful to grans etc who drew my attention to this one. I am unable to follow it every day - only 3-4 days a week. Non diet days I put weight back on. But each day I did diet I lost about half a pound, so altogether about 3-4 pounds in about 3 weeks. Of course I'm impatient but really I know a steady loss is more healthy.

I exercise quite a lot but I have found that my body just becomes more and more efficient at storing fat! This diet seems to tell the body not to do that because the fasting period is relatively short and probably what we adapted to in the long distant past.

For me, I find that if I eat cakes and chocolate as snacks while dieting I don't put on weight but I don't lose it either. Slightly healthier snacks and lots of veg seems to guarantee success. Will let you know progress.

Blinko Sat 27-Oct-18 21:07:17

I'm finding I'm losing weight but slowly. Half a stone in three months. But I'm thinking, that's a total of a stone in another three months! Which for me is good.

This is with eating out two or three times a week and also several short breaks at hotels in that period. So I'm not feeling not too bad about my progress.

A friend remarked that he thought I'd lost a bit today.... Jolly good smile

Marelli Sat 27-Oct-18 20:03:39

I'm doing really well, actually. I'm not having breakfast until about 10.30-11, then, after my usual faffing about, and going for a bit of a walk have a lunch of cheese and oatcakes or something. Dinner at about 6 then nothing else till 10.30 breakfast next day. No special efforts being made at all. ? My clothes are looser and I'm not getting indigestion anymore.

Jane10 Sat 27-Oct-18 17:17:06

I know what you mean Marmight. The 16:8 worked a treat for me last year but I'm just not in the mood right now.

Marmight Sat 27-Oct-18 16:33:58

I tried this a year ago but it just didn't work for me which was disappointing. I find the 5:2 plan more successful- when I stick to it. One has to be in the right frame of mind. That doesn't happen too often!

BlueBelle Sat 27-Oct-18 15:29:40

I ve been missing breakfast out as such just a cup of coffee no sugar and a cracker to take my herbal tablets with, dinner about 1 or 2 and a salad roll or something very small about 5-6 For the last two weeks and not lost a thing boo boo

Jane10 Sat 27-Oct-18 12:06:56

I'm sort of trying but have lost the will a bit. I do it several days a week. However in my 8 hour eating window I seem to be consuming so many naughty things. Oh well...

Hudo53 Sat 27-Oct-18 11:39:52

Hi, are people still following this way of eating.? Only because no one seems to have posted in a while. Thanks.x

Marelli Wed 03-Oct-18 09:06:44

Porridge at 10am for me, Jane10. Not particularly ‘nice’, but filling. ☺️
I’ve got a ‘knackered knee’, and climbing all those stairs at the Old Waverley Hotel for the Gransnet meetup made me realise that getting a (good) bit of weight off can only help.
It’ll make my clothes look ‘nice’ and loose....instead of stretched and not so ‘nice’. ?

Jane10 Wed 03-Oct-18 08:43:04

Oh Marelli! Thanks for kind words but I fell off the 16:8 wagon! I'm having another go but I do miss my nice breakfasts. I went back to them as I had to take meds in the mornings after my knee replacement op. No excuse now. Sigh.
PS I never thought Marelli had to lose weight in the first place. I'm not just being 'nice'. I'm just not nice. grin

Marelli Wed 03-Oct-18 07:25:00

Have been becoming rather beefy since not following the 16.8 for a good few months ?. I was doing so well, but fell by the wayside somehow. Met up with Jane 10 at the Edinburgh lunch last week and she's looking great.... (I'm back on the 16.8 as from 10am today) ?

EthelJ Wed 08-Aug-18 09:50:05

I've started trying this but having weighed myself today I seem to have put weight on! I wonder if I am eating more in the 8 hours because I am so hungry. I will take more care about what I am eating and carry on trying a little longer. I have about 2 stone to loose. It will take a very long time if I carry on as I have begun shock

Marmight Thu 26-Jul-18 08:51:01

Advertising?
confused

blusmart Thu 26-Jul-18 08:07:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.