Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

jogging/running

(16 Posts)
palliser65 Sun 07-Jan-18 10:49:15

I've always enjoyed walking and especially with my dogs. Now we have just lost our last dog I'm walking still but wonder if i could start running or jogging. I'm 64 in good health (up to now). Anyone else started running in their 60's?

Teetime Sun 07-Jan-18 10:52:21

I know a lot of people who have especially since Park Run started here. www.nhschoices.com has a running plan Couch to 5K that is helpful and informative. I did try but until my foot is fixed its a non starter for me - perhaps after the op in March. Good luck with it.

OldMeg Sun 07-Jan-18 11:33:44

Not 60s. I started running in my 50s and only gave up due to arthritis. Start slowly eg walk for a minute and run for 30 seconds alternating. Then walk 1 minute and run 1 mnute. Walk 1 minute and run 2 minutes. I’m sure you’ve got the idea now.

Make sure you warm up first and stretch afterwards.

Best advice. Get a running partner. Talking as you jog makes it go very quickly. If you can’t talk you’re running too quickly. If you can sing you’re running too slowly.

Second best advice get a proper pair of running shoes (not just trainers) from a proper running shop. They will help and advise you.

Don’t try for speed at first. Slowish and steady. As you get fitter you can start timing yourself. And by summer yiu should be able to run (jog or walk) in the Race for Life. These are 5k runs that take place all over the country. There will be one near you.

Good luck.

jeanie99 Sat 20-Jan-18 22:57:11

I think high impact sports are not the way to go.
My husband used to jog on the treadmill in the gym. I tried to get him to stop didn't think it was good on the knee joints he was in his late 60s then but he didn't listen.
He now needs a knee replacement, is in pain most days and limps. I can't believe his dedication to the treadmill workout benefited him in any way .

M0nica Sun 21-Jan-18 08:43:14

Why not take to brisk walking. I am out most days for a brisk minimum of 2 mile walk. Fellow walkers have got used to the idea of a walker without a dog.

Alternative you could consider Nordic walking with those poles. There are classes and groups learning and doing that.

All these are much easier on one's joints.

midgey Sun 21-Jan-18 08:52:59

How about borrowing a dog if you have decided a new dog is not for you?

Issabel Tue 20-Mar-18 12:09:00

Yes run if you want to! I started a year ago (am 63) with Couch to 5k,. I ran a 10k race last October and now training for a half marathon in May. Enjoy?‍♀️?‍♀️

Wheniwasyourage Tue 20-Mar-18 15:03:40

I started in my 50s, and have had to stop for a bit from time to time, but am still going in mid-60s. Good shoes are a must, and change them when they wear down. Apart from the shoes it's a cheap form of exercise and one in which you can set your own standards. Park runs sound great (our nearest one is nearly 20 miles away and bus times don't fit) and there are other organisations like JogScotland or equivalent to help.

Good luck!

PamelaJ1 Tue 20-Mar-18 15:42:33

I have no idea whether it may or may not harm you to start jogging and wish you well if you decide to take it up.
Funny how we are all so different isn’t it? I can’t think of anything I would like less in the exercise department except perhaps a gym and all those boring machines.
Joggers always look so miserable and I think it’s addictive.
I try and steer clear of the danger of becoming addicted to anything other than wine and gin.
Good running?‍♀️ This is me>?‍♀️!!

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 20-Mar-18 19:15:43

Dear Diary
Today my friends suggested that we go out for a run, I told them I would need one thing.

New friends

lincolnimp Wed 03-Oct-18 19:29:10

I started 'running' at 61 with a Race for Lie which I walked round. I then did the Great South Run a couple of months later, then the London marathon 6 months after.= in 2012
Had lots of breaks but am about to do my 5th Great South Run and my 4th London Marathon' as well as other 'runs'
I'm slow, some running, some walking, but that sense of achievement is like nothing else

Magsymoo Wed 10-Oct-18 17:15:08

I started running, in the gym, last year at 66. Now 67, my aim is to do a Parkrun in the next few months. I worked up gradually to do 5k and try to do that once a week interspersed with shorter runs. The sense of achievement and exhilaration when I've completed a run is wonderful. I haven't yet ventured outside to run as I'm a bit nervous of falling on uneven surfaces. Go for it, dont be put off by your age if you are feeling fit and healthy.

Annapops Wed 10-Oct-18 17:28:44

I am on week 5 of couch to 5k. Today I ran for a full 20 minutes with no stops which is quite an achievement for me. I am 63 and have always hated running but having witnessed the success of others recently decided to go for it. I've been a gym member for a lot of years but never really pushed myself until now. The thought of running outside always terrified me as I thought I would be too embarrassed. Age can certainly being a new confidence as now I don't care who sees me running.
I am hoping to continue and would love to complete a 5k park run. My message is if you feel reasonably ok give it a try. Couch to 5k is achievable.

Sheis1948 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:00:20

I'll go with brisk walking or get a new dog. smile

Shirleyw Thu 11-Oct-18 04:55:04

That's good Annapops, I'm a starter and stopper....can't seem to stick at it......it's silly really as after a c25k run I feel so good after....not during as can't wait till the time is up ??

thomas98765 Wed 16-Oct-19 00:27:43

It's always safe to carry pepper spray when walking or jogging alone.

Here's pepper spray link - amzn.to/35DlBW4

I'm just saying it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just a friendly reminder. smile