Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Weightwatchers Flex

(19 Posts)
Kacee Sun 25-Mar-18 12:27:49

Lost 3 stone on WW. Need to lose another 3 stone but am struggling a bit at the moment. I will get my head back on it. The structure of the meeting every week helps me. My daughter does SW and has lost nearly 4 stone.

Lilypops Tue 20-Mar-18 09:25:22

Bluebell, Thanks for your encouraging words !!!

OldMeg Mon 19-Mar-18 23:02:44

So....slimming clubs don’t work or everyone would try them, lose weight and never put it back on again.

Cold Mon 19-Mar-18 22:26:55

Are you sure that you are measuring correctly OP? Or do you have very big spoons? According to my online tracker you get 100g of cooked rice for 4p (120g if it is brown rice) which is a small portion but OK.

I have been enjoying this incarnation of WW for the flexibility of the free foods have been eating more healthy foods and lots of fish (free), chicken (free), eggs (free) and veg (free) - so lots of vegetable omlettes and lentil soup.

Purpledaffodil Mon 19-Mar-18 22:02:21

Mawbrown I did Rosemary Conley about 12 years ago and really enjoyed the classes. Not too much pointless chat and an actual, non threatening aerobics class. I believe she’s gone bankrupt now and the classes are no more which is a shame.
Like others I tried Slimming World last year. It was very effective because I was motivated by DDs wedding last August. I found the classes awful though. All that patronising drivel and clapping?. I just used to weigh and run, but it was the weigh in which inspired me, not people confessing how many sausage rolls they’d eaten at their sister’s wedding reception. ?

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 20:16:29

Good luck I ve had that plan a few times too ??

Lilypops Mon 19-Mar-18 20:00:40

Bluebell,,, No I won't stay onSlimfast for life,but my plan was to kickstart my weight loss , the maintain it, that's the plan anyway ,

Hilly60 Mon 19-Mar-18 10:24:05

You are right BlueBelle, we all need to find a diet for life that makes us well and stick to it!

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 07:56:42

But are you going to stay on it for the rest of your life lily pops ? If the answer is no you will just go back to where you are now

Lilypops Mon 19-Mar-18 07:51:41

I have been on SW,, WW, and lost weight then put it on again, I found the weighing and working out what I could eat very fiddly , so I gave up ,
I am now on the Slimfast 7day plan , I bought the "kit" for £20 from Tesco , it had the shakes drink , 4replacement bars , 4 snack bars , 2pkts of pretzels , and a box of porridge , all labelled with the calories, plus a meal plan , the bars are chocolate so I am still getting my chocolate fix, if you stick to the plan and have an evening meal of 600 calories or less it should work , I lost 1lb in the first week , it's been the only plan I have enjoyed and stuck with, My goal is to be fitter and look better when I buy my summer clothes and feel happy in a swimsuit on holidays,

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 07:39:10

The meetings were really boring mind you WW were too and all the silly clapping
so and so has lost the half pound they put on last week ???whoop whoop Following week so and so has put on half a pound never mind a little extra push... oh my word

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 07:34:28

I have been to SW twice five years apart it was the same leader and she was still quite overweight surely if it was that good she would have been more of a proper weight for her height
I know some find it helpful and yes I can lose weight easily with SW or WW but for me it’s just not sustainable
the thought of two spoonfuls of rice is ridiculous

MawBroon Mon 19-Mar-18 07:31:26

8 years ago in preparation for DD’s wedding, I joined WW on its “old” points system and managed to lose just over a stone which was about right. An inspiring leader made all the difference plus a straightforward system.
With hindsight, much of their nutritional advice was suspect but it reflected the thinking of the time ( such as “fat free “ products which turned out to be high carb/sugar)
I have tried again twice in recent years and have just found it too fiddly, complicated and confusing. I know what I should or shouldn’t eat but I do miss the motivation of an inspiring leader. Sadly, the (very nice and well meaning) ladies I have encountered since just didn’t do it for me.
Anybody remember Rosemary Conley’s classes? Twenty years ago those helped me lose two stone and be fitter than I have ever been since.
Reading through this I seem to have lost a lot of weight over the years confused - and then found it again!

Hilly60 Mon 19-Mar-18 07:21:43

Sorry typo - 123 system was unpointed not unlimited. ?

Hilly60 Mon 19-Mar-18 07:15:42

Hi I have just weighed myself and now realise why I feel so rough and nothing will fit me! So I am back on my tried and trusted WW diet plan that I did in 1993 which was their best and most healthy. Having allowances of carbs, proteins, fats, dairy, fruit and free veg. I lost a lot of weight on that and went onto become a leader which I really enjoyed until they brought out the point system. When one of my ladies told me that she saved all her points up to spend on Mars bars I knew I couldn't promot a diet that I felt was nutritionally unsound so I left.

Before, on their 123 diet plan which was unlimited, I was able to teach/demonstrate good nutrition with cookery demos and group discussion. I was horrified how many young mums didn't understand nutrition or even how to cook.

I tried Slimming World last year but didn't like the way the meeting was structured and no real nutrition advice either. So it's back to old and realiable Slim and Trim/123 system for me. I know I will lose at least 2lbs a week and it's free!!!

Anyone wanting details of this can ask and I will gladly post it for you. Good luck girls.

GrandmaMoira Sun 25-Feb-18 16:30:08

I was on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago when it was a choice of Healthy and Filling or 26 points per day, plus extra points for treats. I did lose one lb per week but did not use any of my extra points. I think in the past they were accused of offering an unhealthy diet so now offer an eating plan which is healthy long term but slower weight loss.

Hellsbella Sun 25-Feb-18 16:12:10

2 tablespoons of rice would leave me starving! I would just have two zero point chicken breasts to fill me up (and vegetables/salad don't!) but she specifically warned about doubling up on the zero foods because obviously they might not have points but they still have calories (184).

An egg has more calories than a bag of Hula Hoops - this is my gripe. I understand that egg is a healthier option but if it has more calories than a snack then a straight substitution isn't going to aid weightloss.

Bring on the magic wand and the lipo!

Ilovecheese Sun 25-Feb-18 13:09:09

I really like it, it does encourage me to have a healthy snack, say an egg, or a portion of prawns, instead of crisps or biscuits. Three or four pounds per week would be unsustainable anyway, I think 1 pound per week is about right, and you should be proud of that.

I don't know anything about Slimming World, but when you think about it, proteins, fruit and veg are the healthiest food, so it makes sense to encourage us to eat them first, rather than anything processed.

If you are making a family meal, can't you just have the two tablespoons of rice, taken from the full family portion, no need to cook less for everybody.

I know it's not easy believe me!

Hellsbella Sun 25-Feb-18 12:56:29

Anyone tried it? I've done WW several times over the years and this is the worst incarnation of all. I don't need Nanny WW teaching me about healthy eating; I join a weightloss programme to LOSE WEIGHT.
The first time I did it almost everything except leafy veg had a point and you had quite a lot for the day. Admittedly you were weighing and measuring but that very discipline kept me in line.
Then they made fruit free, even though bananas have far more points than digestive biscuits, but upped the points value of everything else.
Now it seems to be a weak copy of Slimming World, where proteins, fruit and veg are free but anything else you might fancy is massive. Only 23 points a day and two tablespoons of boiled rice (NOT a portion!) is 4. Half a pint of skimmed milk is 4. It's making it quite difficult to make a family meal. My leader warned me straight off about portion control for "free" foods so basically I'm back to weighing.
I've been careful this week - five days in - and have thus far lost big one pound. I could expect on the Propoints version to be looking at 4 or 5 in the first week.

Anyone finding it good? If so, any advice?