Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Fri 08-Jun-18 09:15:12

Well it is weigh in day and I am exactly the same weight as last week - Oh wow is me, as they used to say in Up Pompeii! ?

Panache Thu 07-Jun-18 09:51:45

More from..........."Its quite a treat to be almost petite!!".........and would you believe me?

The few pounds I gained in leau of the 9 pounds the Medics requested prior to my E.R.C.P...........have all disappeared yet again..............I am now getting more and more petite!!!

Whilst pleased to know I have some value and furthermore you listened to my advice Nankate............hopefully you will now be back fit and well,but perhaps also losing a valuable pound or two.

Good Luck to you all,whether just simply hoping or trying very hard................. the main thing in life is to grab it by both horns and make the best of all that you are presented with.
Life is too short for anything else.

No tennis or strawberries for me!!

JaneD3 Thu 07-Jun-18 07:26:37

Or Yudkin’s Pure, White and Deadly published in 1972 and completely ignored by medics?

JaneD3 Thu 07-Jun-18 07:24:07

Well I had a lovely holiday but how does a person put on TEN lbs in a week?! TBH I know some was fluid - warm weather + flights + not taking my diuretics some days. I have lost 5lbs since I got back but that still leaves 5lbs more than when I went. We are both being very good this week and I hope that I will be back to a reasonable loss by this time next week.
I have been a follower of Atkins for about 15 years, on and off. It makes me cross to hear the drs on the BBC last night “discovering “ that carbs can make such a difference and help type 2 diabetics to lose the diabetes. He must have published that in the 80s and been roundly vilified for it!

NanKate Wed 06-Jun-18 22:04:46

I took advice from Panache and started glugging hot lemon and honey and it has had an excellent effect of stopping my cough about 90% I really am feeling a lot better today thanks folks,

How do you think the match will go tomorrow Overthehills ? Schwartzman has really pulled out all the stops but I am keeping everything crossed for Rafa. There are so many good younger players coming up there may be a change of the old guard.

Now back to Onward and Downward. Well done Cherrytree another pound off.

I went out to celebrate DH’s 73 this evening but only had one glass of wine a main and no pud. I will be weighing in on Friday. My clothes are getting looser and my stomach isn’t sticking out, hurray.

Overthehills Wed 06-Jun-18 21:47:07

Well done Cherrytree! Glad to hear you’re a tennis fan too.

Cherrytree59 Wed 06-Jun-18 21:45:22

Evening all smile
NanKate I hope you are feeling a little better today and as mentioned by Overthehills enjoying the tennis ?

I am looking forward to that time of year.
Wimbledon and strawberries.
And usually an Aldi mini magnumblush.

Attended Last night's S/W weigh in.
Another 1 pound off
Slow but steady .

Overthehills Wed 06-Jun-18 20:24:24

I’ve been thinking about you NanKate and hoping you were enjoying the tennis, and there you were on your bed of pain! So sorry, but maybe if Rafa wins tomorrow you’ll feel all cheered up. ??
Somehow I don’t think I will on my first weigh-in for two weeks.sad
“it is quite a treat to be almost petite” - you’re a poet Panache! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

NanKate Mon 04-Jun-18 16:59:15

Cherrytree I have got the same cough as you, I just can’t get rid of the blighter. I was on GN last night at 2.30am as my coughing would not stop. I went and got myself a hot Lemsip and that then soothed me enough to get to sleep. I have done virtually nothing today other than watch the tennis inParis, lie on the sofa like a film star of old and had my trusty IPad at my side. I have had about 4 cough sweets !

Fortunately I don’t have much of an appetite. I might manage a short walk. What a misery I am.

MawBroon Mon 04-Jun-18 10:36:20

Don’t get me wrong, I am not belittling the efforts we are all making to address weight issues as part of a healthy lifestyle. But what jenpax, Panache and fourormore’s posts have shown me is that there are more important things than weight loss.
So don’t anybody get downhearted or feel like giving up. Those “miracle weight loss” stories in the slimming magazines are so misleading and can make us lesser mortals feel very inadequate but we are real people and who we are is much more important than our dress size.
Life is for living and in contradiction of what Wallis Simpson is reported to have said IMHO you can be too thin. Good luck to all those tying to lose or to gain - maybe we could set up an exchange system? grin

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Jun-18 09:49:21

Panache The power of positive thinking never stops to amaze me!
I have a close friend (male) who has gone through years not months of chemo.
He has accepted that it is part his life, initially he suffered very bad side affects but thankfully less now.
Deals with tiredness and gets on with his life. Inspirational!

I wish you Panache onwards and upwards sunshine

Well NanKate I pleased there will be not tutting for a bad weeksmile
I have an suffering from the dreaded summer cough and only getting relief from sticky cough sweets.

I have decided to give myself an extra day and go to tomorrow evenings S/W weigh in,
My local class is tonight.

Good luck allshamrock

Panache Mon 04-Jun-18 09:20:46

I think this must be where I come back in and shake hands with our dear Jenpax..............I understand all too well your problems ...............whilst first of all let me wish you well and hopefully your cancer operation has been a great success.

Perhaps you will have read my blog on "Is there life after cancer?.......You bet there is"
My big run in with the disease was in the mid 80`s where it was one big battle with 4 running almost consecutively.
Bowel,Cervix/uterus......where a hysterectomy caused complete collapse of remaining bowel............plus two seperate breast cancers.

But believe me there is very much life afterwards although we have to get ourselves ...........and body foibles....... sorted so that they do not hinder our enjoyment of living.

Losing these latter 4 stone in weight in my case is something new, and thus far no answers have been given. But hopefully as I have these various `ops and procedures we will get to the bottom of it.
Having always been a size 16 / 18 it is quite a treat being "almost petite!!"
However yes............underneath those clothes lies a very ugly story of hanging layers of wriggly flesh and the rest!
More or less as you so describe!!!

Our MawB certainly knows a thing or two and by following her advice you will never go far wrong..........whilst I personally find that I can now get away wearing a good pair of leggings or close legged trousers (with lots of stretch in the material & waist band)............whilst these pretty loose tunics, almost knee length are ideal for covering up the ugly bits.............giving an outward appearance of quite a svelte trim body.
Showing off your legs obviously, if they are the neatest part of your figure.

There are tricks to everytrade and after all you have been through you deserve to pamper your body image and some.smile grin smile
Am more than happy to write to you if you so wish as I think we can all have something to give each other.

As for my own weight gals it continues to play "silly beggars" with me..........gaining one day losing again the next.............so still looking for answers!!

Whilst I am proud of you one and all, facing your problems and yet still trying to loose or maintain a good weight.............Good Luck and indeed much power to Onward and downward!!!!

NanKate Mon 04-Jun-18 03:24:07

Is not us !

NanKate Mon 04-Jun-18 03:23:25

Hello folks.

The beauty of our Onward and Downward Club us that all of us are human and have to cope with the ups and downs life throws at us. There will be no tut tutting if we have have a bad week. If you want to go out and have an unrestricted meal well do so.

My idea of this thread was to be able to come in and out at will but not give up entirely as I have done in the past.

Overthehills Sun 03-Jun-18 22:20:55

Lasyn = lady!

Overthehills Sun 03-Jun-18 22:19:39

Some good advice from Maw Jenpax. I saw a lasynthe other day in a lovely linen tunic worn over wide linen cut off trousers. That way you could hide your wobbly bits and show off your slim legs! smile
Fourormore - be good to yourself. flowers
I’ve fallen off the wagon as I’ve been away for a city break with a friend and today had a celebratory meal for DD completing her study course in record time. I’ll be climbing back on tomorrow!

MawBroon Sun 03-Jun-18 22:08:35

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/womens-clothing/best-maternity-jeans-for-big-thighs-petites-curvy-a7521236.html

MawBroon Sun 03-Jun-18 22:07:07

Don’t laugh, but perhaps maternity trousers/jeans?

MawBroon Sun 03-Jun-18 22:06:04

Poor you jenpax I do hope the surgery you underwent has banged the cancer on the head and that you are now on the road to full recovery .
Would elasticated trousers with a hip length tunic type top be a possibility do you think?
Another thought might be that you could perhaps have what I believe is called an “apronectomy ” to get rid of some of the surplus skin?
I fully appreciate that now this is behind you you are ready a new image , but it will take time.
In the meantime, thank goodness for your return to health- may it continue!

fourormore Sun 03-Jun-18 21:41:17

Thank you for your encouragement Maw Broon - as you say there are more important things than calories and it has been a stressful week so I am pleasantly surprised that I only put back on that pound that comes and goes. It is the 'not knowing' that is the problem - a pulse in the 40s is expected in a fit and healthy athlete but DH is no Mo Farah - he is mid sixties couch potato! Still at least we now have got things being investigated.
Good luck to everyone as we start a new week of trying to lose or gain and dear jenpax - I wish there was an answer flowers

jenpax Sun 03-Jun-18 12:33:45

Like Panache I have recently lost a lot of weight due to ill health,in fact 7 stone in 2 months? 4 Stone was the massive tumour? but the rest has been down to poor appetite and sickness. However I am now left with a very odd body shape! So any ideas of where to shop would be much appreciated. I am smaller on my top probably a 12 and then also small down to my hips where the stretched skin from the tumour has left a large and unsightly roll of skin like a spare tyre? I then have a largish bum and top of thighs with skinny legs! I don’t know where to shop as naturally none of my pre op clothes fit.
trousers are a nightmare? if I choose them as being able to fit around the bulging skin at the top, they hang and drag on the floor because the rest of my legs are like sticks.
But I somehow have to accommodate the weird skin band and top of thigh issue as well as the stick legs???

Teetime Sun 03-Jun-18 11:53:39

Well as you may have suspected I fell of the food and drink wagon big time- I have an excuse but you don't want to hear it. HOWEVER I am back on from tomorrow (celebration lunch today) and as I am now allowed to walk and do everything!!!! I shall be doing- juts over a stone to lose. Good luck to all and well done to those who have kept going. smile

MawBroon Sun 03-Jun-18 11:24:01

“Than calories”

MawBroon Sun 03-Jun-18 11:23:19

Oh fourormore there are more important things Han calories!
Sending you and your DH every good wish for his speedy recovery flowers

fourormore Sun 03-Jun-18 11:16:18

First a precis of excuses! Last weekend DH collapsed and hit head on floor. GP instructed ambulance and whole day in AE. Didn't lose consciousness but his pulse stayed mid 40s all day and evening. Had head scan, chest xray, bloods etc. and regular ECGs. Kept overnight with heart monitor, out next day with GP follow up. Bank holiday meant we couldn't get appt until Tues - GP rang him on Wednesday and didn't know why he wanted to speak to her!
Currently doing BP 4 x day for a week and we have appt with a sensible doctor after that so all a bit up in the air!
Sadly, the thought of calories went out of the window as we just ate when we could and what we felt like. Will try harder next week but no promises!
Result not actually as bad as I feared - put back on the pound I lost last week but put on the week before hmm
Better luck everyone else - I may be off the wagon at the moment but I will be back!