Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Fri 01-Jun-18 13:05:36

Weigh in a day late and I am pleased to gave lost three quarters of a pound especially as I couldn't Count calories as we were away looking after the GSs. So it is 3 and 3/4 lbs since starting the Onward and Downward club.

Good luck to you all. Keep going.

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-May-18 21:03:34

Thank you NanKate.
You maybe pleasantly surprised, running around after little ones is good exercise!

My evening meal was very similar to yours
Fish, peas and chips (chip cut potatoes in oven with low cal spray).
Followed by defrosted berries and low-fat vanilla yoghurt.

NanKate Wed 30-May-18 20:49:18

Well done Cherrytree you are over a large bag of potatoes down ?

I was 3 lbs down by last week hope to have stayed the same after my 5 days away. I had a rather good fish pie from the Co Op tonight with peas. Then a yog and raspberries.

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-May-18 18:25:23

Handed back grandchildren and went for my late weigh in due to the bank holiday.
Even with the 2 extra days only managed a 1lb.
I have been run ragged since Saturday!

So now only have 5 days until next weigh inshock

Half a stone downwards thanks to your thread NanKate

Good luck everybody with this week's challengeshamrock

NanKate Wed 30-May-18 07:45:02

So how’s it going for us all ? I will find out tomorrow when I get back home after an exhausting time with my GSs. I only wavered yesterday when we got back after a long day out. I cooked the boys my spag Bol which I had prepared earlier with garlic bread, this is where I just gave in and had the lot plus a Barcardi coke ? After 5 Days with two very exuberant two GSs 7 and 5 I bloomin well deserved it, and that’s my excuse.

NanKate Mon 28-May-18 20:58:14

Too true Cherrytree we went to the Garden Centre, lots to do there, and for a coffee and I had half a scone as I couldn’t eat my breakfast for some reason.

Had a tiny bowl of cheese macaroni at lunch time and a small fruit salad and yoghurt after a short nap (DH supervised the boys then). Off to the park to play football in the afternoon. Back to cook the boys tea and I had two small sausages and a handful of chips with a spritzer. Whether I kept within my 1400 call I don’t know but tbh I am too tired to care.

Thinking of you Panache come back to us soon.

Cherrytree59 Mon 28-May-18 19:13:45

Nankate we also have our 2 DGS until Wednesday. It's certainly easier to weight watch when not having to consider little people.
But very enjoyable and knackering

Cherrytree59 Mon 28-May-18 19:06:47

Well done Panache and wishing you well for your OP.shamrockflowers

I should be getting weighed this evening at my local Slimming world,
But as it is Bank holiday, I can go to another Class to tomorrow evening or my rearranged class on Wednesday.
Going Wednesday would give me a couple of extra days after a shaky weekend.
However next week I would only have a 5 day week.
Decisions Decisions confused

Teatime feel your pain as I also had a difficult weekend food wise. we were out on both days with DGS.with

Fourormore you did well to lose the pound from previous week.
The NHS counter maybe just the thing to help with this week's weight loss.

Sending Willpower by the bucket load to all GNers watching their weight either
Onwards and Downwards
or Onwards and upwards

Overthehills Mon 28-May-18 17:22:44

Thanks Panache and well done!

Panache Mon 28-May-18 09:35:02

Whilst I proudly announce I have gained some 5.2 pounds..........the result of adding Ensure Plus drinks alongside my meals.
Medics wanted a 9 pound gain.............but hope they will accept I have really tried hard!!!

It is as difficult re building friends as it is to darn get the weight off!!!

Mr & Mrs Willpower to you all...........WE shall make it!!!

Teetime Mon 28-May-18 09:03:23

I am now a hopeless pear having blown the diet completely this weekend. sad

MawBroon Mon 28-May-18 08:21:07

Stuck at that 7lb loss recorded at the end of last week, but sticking to it.
Let’s see what this week brings.

Overthehills Sun 27-May-18 22:47:48

I’m off for a short break with a friend this week so need a big bag of will power please Cherrytree and fingers crossed and anything else you can think of to keep me on the straight and narrow!

NanKate Sun 27-May-18 16:04:32

Well I am away looking after the GSs till next Weds so no way have I time to weigh and sort diet food. So I am not drinking alcohol or eating biscuits or cakes whilst here. If I can stay the same weight that will be a result.

Don’t get downhearted Fourormore. At least we are all trying to lose weight. In days gone by I would have said ‘sod it’ and given up completely.

I expect I will be contacted by My Fitness Pal. I just can’t keep up with the constant emails.

fourormore Sun 27-May-18 15:05:20

Thanks for your above post NanKate - you were correct last week when you said that you and I were strugglers!
Sunday morning weigh in very disappointing - minus 1lb.
Basically I have lost the pound I put on last week and now only have four weeks to my holiday.
Has anyone else had to delete their My Fitness Pal account?
MFP gave me three options - the first saying I agreed to both the below, the second that I agreed to them sharing my data with UK fitness/health sites and the third option that I agreed to them sharing my data with US sites and they even mentioned that the US do not have such stringent data protection laws as we do!
I clicked the middle option only to be refused - with words to the effect that unless I agreed to all the options I could not keep my account?
I have now saved the NHS calorie counter to my bookmark bar!
Although disappointed with today's weigh in result, at least it is a loss. Hopefully I will do better this coming week hmm
Good luck everyone as your weigh in days approach - whether you want more or less - we all have our targets!

NanKate Sat 26-May-18 21:50:17

A pound lighter is a pound lighter, we must be grateful for anything.

Onward and downward.

Grandmama Sat 26-May-18 21:19:47

Oh dear, went up then down. 1lb lighter this morning. Must do better.

MawBroon Fri 25-May-18 09:52:49

I went back on Monday before heading off to London on granny duty. Dr is pretty certain it has all the classic signs of thrombophlebitis and it is much better. Only problem is there seems to be another “episode” further up the leg now. Doppler scan postponed until June 6 , bloods etc on 29th May.

loopyloo Fri 25-May-18 09:40:24

Mawbroon, have you had your leg scanned? It might just be a dvt.

MawBroon Fri 25-May-18 08:36:08

I am happy to report that the trend is still downwardssmile
Recovering from the pinched chips of last weekend and a few days of granny duty in London later (a lot of buggy walking) I think I can safely record a total loss over the last 2 1/2 weeks of 7 lbs.
Three more needed to get over the cliff down to the next “stone” , but very happy with it all.
Perhaps cutting out wine was the solution.

Cherrytree59 Thu 24-May-18 19:41:29

Thank you and well done NanKate and Overthehills

Jane enjoy your hols!

We have 2 little DGS for most half term next week.
So Panache I will glad of any willpower going spare!
I must endeavour to bin any childrens left-overs and try to avoid the detour into my mouth first!
Which seems to happens automatically!blush

Goodluck with putting a few pounds on Panache

Onwards and downwards fellow slimmerssunshine

JaneD3 Thu 24-May-18 09:23:03

I have stuck since Monday but at least it hasn’t gone up! I am on holiday next week though ...

Panache Thu 24-May-18 08:22:54

I am "over the moon" with some excellent responses to dieting recorded here right now.
Mr Willpower obviously worked Cherrytree and so I will include his Mrs as well!!!!

I do NOT wish to hear all these pre excuses NanKate and all.............come on now,you either stick to the plan and get yourself a stick insect like I seem to be (and unwanted let me assure you!!)............or remain overweight and unhappy.

Onward and a nice bit of downward motion girls if you please!!

Overthehills Thu 24-May-18 08:02:03

Good morning everybody. My first weigh in this morning and I’ve lost three pounds. I’ve had an up and down week with two meals out so I think this is quite good. Please keep sending regular doses of willpower Cherrytrees as I’m going away for a girly few days with a friend next week ... We’ll done to everybody who has lost and fingers crossed for those who haven’t. Onward and downward!

NanKate Thu 24-May-18 07:29:23

Very well done Cherrytree so pleased for you. Keep us all up to speed with your progress.

I too am pleased that I have lost 2lbs, even with the mini binge on Saturday.

Now here is my worry, tomorrow we go off for 5 days to help with the GSs and my DS has given me a list of food he has got in to cook as he will be away some of the time. The following weekend we are back down helping with the GSs, then the following week a mini holiday to some family.

To be honest June is going to be tricky to monitor my food but I will try my best to keep to my present weight.

Isn’t this weight business a bu**er ? However without your support I wouldn't be feeling lighter and better as I am, so a big Thank You ?