Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What aerobic/toning exercise do you regularly keep up with?

(98 Posts)
Shirleyw Tue 08-May-18 17:48:13

Just wondered what keeps you all trim.....

wildswan16 Thu 30-May-19 19:40:43

I always vowed I would never bother going to a gym. I enjoy a brisk walk outdoors which gave me the exercise and fresh air. Why pay for what you can do for free?

However, our local gym had a free 7 day pass and I went along and am now hooked! I go two or three times a week and cycle 4k, row 3k and do some upper body strength exercises. I am gradually increasing the distances. I love it and may become addicted!

SalsaQueen Thu 30-May-19 18:52:22

I go to Zumba and Salsa classes, and one evening last week I went to Pilates but didn't really like it.

Oldandverygrey Thu 30-May-19 16:13:19

That sounds like a good plan Elegran, I bet you have a good view living on top of a hill. Perhaps next year you can invest in a toboggan - wonderful exercise!

Shirleyw Thu 30-May-19 04:51:29

Wish I could get motivated atm....in my head I think 'I'll start this and that' go to a few spinning sessions....that made me sweat lol...but not motivated enough to keep it up.. I have started the C25K , I did get into the third week then stopped that, and it was ideal for me, the 5 minute ? warm up was the walk to the football field and it is an ideal place to run around...I need a kick up the backside .
I still do lots of walking though, I average out now at least 12,000 steps.....also I daily do press ups against the wall, each time I boil the kettle lol.....

Elegran Fri 24-May-19 18:52:50

So do I, Oldandverygrey but the main reason is because I don't have a car. I live up a hill, so carrying shopping home counts as "weightbearing exercise".
When there is a danger of icy pavements I get an online order from Tesco instead of walking for the shopping. If I haven't been out that day, I set the oven timer for 15 minutes, pick up my Alpine sticks, and walk round every room on the ground floor repeatedly until the timer rings.

Oldandverygrey Fri 24-May-19 17:52:03

Walking works for me, I walk everywhere whenever I can.

Abuelana Thu 23-May-19 20:54:02

Pilates reformer classes. Twice a week 1-1 and I love my instructor but she’s a bitch ha ha. Dare not say I can’t do / or that’s hurting / or I can’t do more cos she just makes me do more ha ha She will stop and ask if I’m alright even if I scratch my nose!
I was 61 before I even thought of toning / stretching and I love my classes

Blinko Sun 07-Apr-19 08:31:09

Dahlia, Wow! I never knew you could make bingo wings disappear like that. I thought once they were there, that was it for good. Must give the weights a go.

dahlia Sat 06-Apr-19 19:57:52

I used to flap my arms up and down to dry my roll-on deodorant, then looked at my weights lying neglected at back of the wardrobe and thought "why not?"! Only 2kg, but after six months of almost daily routine of arm raises, swings and similar, no bingo wings and firm upper arms. Result! - with no expense either.grin

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 10:42:57

Blinko ?

toscalily Wed 27-Mar-19 10:39:10

Delete the second option!!!! I'm rushing because I am just about to leave for my Pilates Class. grin

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 10:37:59

Watching Jeremy Vine sounds alright. Might try that.

Blinko Wed 27-Mar-19 10:37:35

I copied the link to my desktop and renamed it so I would know what the devil it was next time I looked.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 10:37:00

I think it's the ironing pile that is putting me off going to have my bath and getting dressed. It's only a little pile too. blush

Blinko Wed 27-Mar-19 10:36:24

CrazyH at least it's not Jeremy Kyle...

toscalily Wed 27-Mar-19 10:36:13

Sorry, I now realise that is not very clear and may depend on what you are using PC, Laptop,Ipad etc., If you are on a website that you want to save for later use use the "save to bookmarks option" or highlight the url within the search bar and copy and paste that, or on a Mac you do a quick click at the left hand side and it will be saved directly to your reading list. Try one of the options these options, hopefully it will work for you. Nothing ventured nothing gained smile

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 10:35:43

Thanks toscalily. although whether I will ever be able to find it again is another matter hmm

crazyH Wed 27-Mar-19 10:35:25

I felt I was a lazy slob, when I checked gransnet this morning .....feeling worse now, while sitting on an armchair, watching Jeremy Vine ?

Blinko Wed 27-Mar-19 10:32:49

Re the OP, I can't resist dancing rather energetically to Chubby Checker's 'Let's Twist Again'. Can only do four minutes at a time though via Alexa three or four times a day. When I think we used to dance all evening at the local youth club... But I was about 14 then. Amazing the difference the odd 60 years makes, isn't it? shock

Blinko Wed 27-Mar-19 10:28:07

Ooh, thanks, Tosca. Of course, I can save the link... Now why didn't I think of that? Doh!

Gonegirl, there we are, then.

toscalily Wed 27-Mar-19 10:23:29

Right click on the link above and you should be able to copy & paste to an appropriate folder i.e Exercise or you can save directly to your desktop Another way is to go to the website (Youtube) and save directly to bookmarks. HTH

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 10:15:26

Sorry Blinko. I don't know how to save you tube videos. I often wonder the same.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 10:14:35

I do something similar to merlot's link on the hearthrug in front of the stove, when I have been sitting for too long in the afternoon. Perhaps not quite as enthusiastically, and I am not so smiley. I imagine the music in my head. I do it for ten minutes. Quite long enough.

Not so long ago I used to dance in kitchen with a small weight in each hand to real music. And then there's the exercise bike which, back in the mists of time, I used to do half an hour on.

Blinko Wed 27-Mar-19 10:03:02

I'd like to 'save' Merlot's link on YouTube but I don't know how. Can anyone help, please?

Lily65 Wed 27-Mar-19 08:47:04

sodapop, I loll around in a dressing gown, eat rubbish and drink copious amounts of alcohol alone.