Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

16:8 diet

(9 Posts)
Luckylegs Thu 21-Jun-18 10:13:06

Is anyone else still doing the 16:8 diet? Me and husband have been doing it all year but I didn’t weigh myself first unfortunately so I’m guessing any weight loss. I was told I definitely had slimmed down from the back and I guessed I’d lost half a stone or so.

We’ve come away on holiday and I started having breakfast (I love my breakfast and it’s a hardship to miss it!). Well, I knew immediately that I was plumping out in the tummy! It is, after all, a meal extra that I haven’t been having! So, gone back to the “diet” now. My husband doesn’t appear to have lost any weight but he feels better doing the diet, after all, he was eating several biscuits with a cup of tea every night which he’s not doing any more! It’s the side benefits I’m looking forward to finding out - lower BP, lower cholesterol etc but I haven’t had any of those tests since I started this.

Anyone else still losing?

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 11:58:57

I'm still doing it but just back from hols where I enjoyed delicious breakfasts.
One unpleasant side effect is that the skin from my tums is still there but the contents aren't! My skin didn't shrink back the way it used to when I was younger. It's quite interesting really. I could put clothes pegs round it! With that delightful image I bet I've put you off your next meal!!

Luckylegs Thu 21-Jun-18 12:03:22

I was wondering particularly about you Jane10 as you started it all for me! Have you lost a lot of weight and have you noticed the lower cholesterol etc?

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 12:25:54

I deliberately never weighed myself. I just go on how my clothes fit. I seem to fit smaller jeans somehow.
However, I'm having my next TKR next week so don't expect to have much/any appetite for a while afterwards. The drugs make me so sick.

Welshwife Thu 21-Jun-18 12:39:02

I am still slogging away at it and lost over a stone but have reached a sort of plateau and am stuck a bit.
Thing is that my tum has not flattened and so my waist is not small enough! I think I must be bloating when I eat wheat etc. I am working on eating less of that and I noticed awful bloating when I ate a couple of nectarines. Any remedies?

Luckylegs Thu 21-Jun-18 12:59:14

That’s the point really. I haven’t noticed my tummy going down or my waist less but there’s funny places it’s become noticeable, like neck, back of my arms, my fat back etc. I haven’t considered wheat but my husband knows if he doesn’t eat he loses weight. I must try it when we get home but then that feels very hard work on top of 16:8!

Luckylegs Thu 21-Jun-18 13:00:19

Should read “doesn’t eat wheat or drink beer!”. B....y iPad!

Lupin Tue 26-Jun-18 09:50:36

I'm still on it. Have noticed that I've lost weight in different places to other diets, eg - off legs and hips, but slow to come off bust and waist. I've definitely lost weight though because I can fit into Summer clothes I haven't been able to wear for a few years. Have also noticed that my skin is creping more with the weight loss than on other diets, but that could just be age. Have been on 16:8 since last November and will carry on. It's become a way of life, but I hate the spare skin dangling from the top of my arms.
I found I had to start exercising to get over a plateau, but have been very neglectful of that recently.
I gave in to a recent urge for a bar of fruit and nut and I did so enjoy it. Perhaps it's as well you posted Luckylegs.

Lupin Tue 26-Jun-18 09:53:29

Re cholesterol and pre diabetes - Much improved since being on the 16:8.