Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Kombucha

(21 Posts)
NanKate Tue 26-Jun-18 07:36:16

Has anyone tried this health drink which contains green tea, turmeric etc and is a fermented drink which has probiotic qualities I think ? It is supposed to do good things to the gut and help with weight loss.

kittylester Tue 26-Jun-18 08:11:49

Have you tried it Kate? It sounds so good for you it must taste awful.

Teetime Tue 26-Jun-18 09:25:47

Apparently it has a mixture of tastes like slightly gone off orange juice- sort of fizzy - sounds vile- the very idea of fermented anything makes me feel queazy.

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 26-Jun-18 09:28:22

Sounds disgusting, could you try it for me nankate and let me know how it goes?

MawBroon Tue 26-Jun-18 09:29:08

Alternatively kittylester if it tastes so awful it must do some good! gringrin

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jun-18 09:30:21

Don’t you think these are just money making schemes

merlotgran Tue 26-Jun-18 09:32:13

tastes like slightly gone off orange juice

Do you think it will it improve if you make a Buck's Fizz?

NanKate Tue 26-Jun-18 09:38:38

I like your thinking Merlot ?

No I haven’t Kitty but I love ginger which is one of the ingredients.

I was recommended to Fitness Pal to help with weight loss and it came on their top 5 health drinks. I costs about £1.50 a bottle from Waitrose or Sainsbury’s.

To be good spirited to my GN pals I will try it and report back. Going away for 4 days so will try it next week.

polyester57 Tue 26-Jun-18 09:53:39

I live on the continent and Kombucha´s been around here for years. It is basically fermented tea. The different flavours, such as ginger and turmeric, are just additives to give it more sex appeal. Real aficionados make their own Kombucha. I do believe that fermented anything is really good for the gut and buy Kombucha every once in a while, I try to convince myself that it really tastes nice. But it´s one of those things, the bottle never quite seems to get finished.

kittylester Tue 26-Jun-18 09:58:13

Let us know whether you finish the bottle kate!!

midgey Tue 26-Jun-18 09:59:29

My daughter gave her father six bottles for Father’s Day! He says some of the flavours are nice.....

merlotgran Tue 26-Jun-18 10:46:48

If we don't hear back well fear the worstgrin

merlotgran Tue 26-Jun-18 10:49:27

Had they just had a row midgey?

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 26-Jun-18 10:52:25

I hate it when our daughters buy us something to improve our diets, it’s usually extremely healthy and horrid, often with unexpected side effects..........

NanKate Tue 26-Jun-18 11:03:31

I feel a bit like a taster for poison in some Sultan’s hareem. I wonder if I should wear those pyjama type trousers and partially reveal my rather small boobs and have jangly gold disks around my ankles ? Can anyone play the cymbals or Eastern music. It’s got to be authentic.

I need at least 6 well proportioned belly dancers as back up.

Blinko Tue 26-Jun-18 11:06:51

Kefir is another of these fermented drinks that's supposed to be good for the gut. According to Michael Mosley, so it must be right smile. I find it makes a decent smoothie, but wouldn't drink it on its own. I try this stuff as I have a family history of colon cancer, so will give anything a go. Mind you I have yet to try kimbucha. Somehow, I can't contemplate consuming fermented vegetables.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jun-18 16:08:52

Apparently it is made from mushrooms ??
From Wikipedia:
“According to a 2000 review, "It has been claimed that Kombucha teas cure asthma, cataracts, diabetes, diarrhea, gout, herpes, insomnia and rheumatism. They are purported to shrink the prostate and expand the libido, reverse grey hair, remove wrinkles, relieve haemorrhoids, lower hypertension, prevent cancer, and promote general well-being. They are believed to stimulate the immune system, and have become popular among people who are HIV positive or have full-blown AIDS".”
So that just about covers everything?
link to the full article including ‘adverse effects’.

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jun-18 19:24:29

It sounds to have similar healthy benefits as Norfolk Punch but it’s missed out ?. (Emojis don’t have a picture of a worm!)

midgey Tue 26-Jun-18 19:48:56

Ha ha Merlotgrangrin.
Our son sent me a box of liquorice pipes.....I can recommend them!!

Auntieflo Wed 27-Jun-18 16:55:40

Ooh Midgey, if you can't "smoke" all of your pipes, send one (or three) in this direction please. Do they still have the little aniseedy bobbles on them that I remember?

harrigran Wed 27-Jun-18 17:51:20

Tut, tut, liquorice is bad for hypertension. Nice things are always bad for you but disgusting tasting = healthy.