Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Gym...

(23 Posts)
EmmaQuinn Fri 31-Jan-20 17:30:36

Hello! I also tried to do the exercises at home, but at home I can’t force myself to do everything to the end, and I don’t like to go to the gym when there are a lot of people. But I decided to come there during the hours when there are fewer people, if you have such an opportunity, you can find out when the gym has the fewest people. Good luck!

nathan27 Sun 26-Jan-20 05:30:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SalsaQueen Tue 16-Jul-19 22:12:54

I find the gym boring. I pay £25 a month to the local council, and can use any of their 4 leisure centres, any time.

I go to Zumba on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and I go to aqua aerobics on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. At the weekends, I occasionally go to aerobics.

Labaik Tue 16-Jul-19 14:18:37

Yes; I love going to the gym.Member of a local leisure centre one but have also joined one at a nearby retirement village one. Rather expensive but the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are wonderful. Feel so much better if I go on a regular basis but then, every so often get out of the habit. Determined this time to stick to it, though, as my weight and inches have crept up alarmingly...Get to chat to people, too, which is why I won't stop going to the council one, as there are younger people to natter to.

jackfowler Tue 16-Jul-19 13:12:30

i daily to time going gym morning & evening.

VikaVika Mon 15-Apr-19 00:23:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

downtoearth Mon 01-Oct-18 08:35:56

Yes re started after a long gap of not going...been about 2 months now...go about 3 times a week and also do aquarobics on one of the days also. I have a gym buddy who I met at slimming world,she has 2 artificial hips and a dodgy knee,she is 81 and likes to come with me.

PECS Mon 01-Oct-18 08:19:22

I have tried gyms in the past but after the first flush of excitement my enthusiasm wanes. Tbh I find them so dull and a bit stinky! And think of all the sweaty germs!shock ...joking!

TerriBull Mon 01-Oct-18 08:16:36

I go about 3 to 4 times a week, not at the moment as I'm away, but will be getting back into that routine when I get back. I mainly use the treadmill and then machines with weights for load bearing exercise, good if you lack bone density, as I was advised by an endocrinologist a few years ago. I also use the swimming pool sometimes and do lengths, not that I am very good at swimming. I don't particularly enjoy any of it but I think I need it. I also do a bit of yoga, more enjoyable, I've had lessons and done classes but these days I get up tutorials on YouTube for that. I would much rather walk outdoors looking at something worth seeing than being on the treadmill, but I don't walk as fast when I am taking in nature. Give it a go Shirleyw and hope you enjoy it.

Diana54 Mon 01-Oct-18 07:22:50

I have a leisure center membership which includes swimming pool as well as gym. At 7 am when I go both are available most women use the pool with only a few using the gym. Later in the day the pool is booked for groups so less options, the gym is available all day and quite a lot of mainly younger women use it, although there is a wide age range.
Whatever you do for exercise do what you enjoy and make time to do it 3 times a week at least, our leisure centre is warm, safe and well managed, at about £1 a day good value if you go regularly

jeanie99 Mon 01-Oct-18 02:37:36

If you are starting a gym for the first time and have health issues speak to your doctor first.
I have high blood pressure and some of the positions in Pilates are not advisable.
Gym work also with health issues needs to be discussed with the Gym and GP.
On the treadmill I had to wear a chest monitor as my heart rate shouldn't go over 130.
I just mention this because you don't want any issues when working out.

FlexibleFriend Sat 14-Jul-18 16:44:54

Before my knees gave out I used to go to the gym and swimming for a couple of hours 5 days a week, I avoided weekends as it was too busy. I also have my own equipment at home which hopefully will help me recover after surgery.
I think it's either something you enjoy or not, if I didn't enjoy it I certainly wouldn't go but I love swimming and find ways to challenge myself against the clock. I also have dogs which I used to walk a lot, these days I hobble on my crutches and chuck a ball for them to chase and the others chase each other, me I just watch.

Shirleyw Sat 14-Jul-18 15:46:51

Thanks guys, you all seem very disciplined in your fitness, thats great, hope it rubs off on me lol.....

Azie09 Sat 14-Jul-18 15:42:01

I go to the gym regularly, I think of it as an opportunity to catch up with podcasts or music on my iPod. I do 30 minutes on the cross trainer then 30 minutes on the recumbent bikes which my physiotherapist told me are especially good for working the glutes. Our gym has virtual screens attached to the machines with a facility to watch walking or cycling in mountain or wild locations which certainly take my mind off time passing! If I've got time I do a little stretching or use the weights machines. I like the gym, it's an efficient way of staying properly fit in minimal time. There was a report just the other day from Public Health England saying that just walking isn't enough.

oldgirl60 Sat 14-Jul-18 15:32:13

I have a gym membership and do some light stretching and rowing. There is a nice steam room that I like to sit in for a few minutes at a time.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Jul-18 13:09:53

Have been a member of a small local gym for 20 years. I do Callanetics, circuit training and a one to one personal training session, so in all 4 activities each week.

When I feel I cannot be bothered I make myself go and always feel better afterwards. It is not just your body it helps, it has been proven that regular exercise is good for your mental health also.

Enjoy your 6 weeks, really hope you find an exercise for you.

M0nica Sat 14-Jul-18 12:56:26

I do not go to the sports centre to use the gym but I do go to both a pilates class and Tai Chi. Rain or shine, I walk my local footpaths almost daily.

I would find using a walking or cycling machine without the stimulation of weather and nature miserable. I also hate the music and wouldn't want to be watching a screen.

goldengirl Sat 14-Jul-18 11:55:02

I used to go to a small women's gym which also had 'circuit training' on a Saturday where you tried out various exercises for a few minutes each. It was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the 'boxing' - that was my favourite but the hardest to do because it needed a lot of puff! Sadly I became ill [nothing to do with the exercises] so couldn't do it any more but it was the best experience of a gym ever. We even did dance routines.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 14-Jul-18 11:12:44

I have been to the gym as a guest with a friend once and also once on a Spa Day. Much as I enjoyed it as a rare activity, I don't think I'd want to do it often so my own answer is "no, I would not want to join a gym".

You are signing up for 6 weeks. Start going perhaps and, if you don't like it, stop. I realise no-one likes wasting money so you could perhaps do the six weeks which have been paid for and then stop.

MillieBear Sat 14-Jul-18 11:08:29

I go most days but I do find the gym quite boring so intersperse it with Pilates classes for core strength (and the social element). My OH also does spin classes but I would rather do a good long walk with the dog. Hope you enjoy it and get your spring back.

tanith Sat 14-Jul-18 10:12:04

That should be rower

tanith Sat 14-Jul-18 10:11:10

I go at least 2/3 times a week , I walk 25 mins to get there then an hour of bike, stepper, tower and 6 different resistant machines for strengthening muscles and my bingo wings that have just about gone now. I find short stints on different things stood me being bored. Hope you grow to like it too.

Shirleyw Sat 14-Jul-18 09:04:23

Do any of you regularly go to the gym?....I just signing up for 6 week summer offer, thought \I'd give it a go, I get bored doing exercise at home, I've gone off classes, I find they cram in too many people so no room to spread out ...hopefully it will give me a spring in my step. I need something lol.