Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

5:2 Diet Stomach Probs

(6 Posts)
joan8 Wed 14-Nov-18 22:07:53

Hi I saw a few threads on this diet - I started it last week for the first time. I was very easy and I felt great the next morning until I ate a light breakfast (Greek yoghurt and some walnuts) about half an hour later I had to run to the loo. I had diahorrea all morning with stomach cramps. It was so bad I had to leave work. I've tried to find a reason for this and perhaps how to stop it again. There's lots of people on the internet with the same problem but no answers. I really want to stick to this but can't risk these problems at work - I work in a hospital so I cant work with this. Has anyone else dealt with this? Are there certain foods to avoid or that would help?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

M0nica Thu 15-Nov-18 09:16:42

I have been following this way of eating for nearly 5 years now and have never had the problems you mention. It may just be coincidence.

I eat a wide range of foods on fast days, although mainly vegetables.

M0nica Thu 15-Nov-18 09:17:22

Try a weekend fast day and see what happens.

Izabella Thu 15-Nov-18 09:21:09

I think it may be your GI tract just getting into action after an unaccustomed fast. The cramps may be normal peristalsis kicking into action thinking a more substantial breakfast was on the way. I sometimes get it

Peristalsis is the normal mechanism for moving (squeezing) bowel contents along and nothing to be alarmed about.

PamelaJ1 Thu 15-Nov-18 09:23:34

I can’t see that the 5:2 should cause this.
I haven’t seen any other comments on the subject that mentioned diahorrea before.
Perhaps, as Monica says, just coincidence.

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 20-Feb-19 17:06:26

You cannot really know if it was walnuts. Unless this has happened before.
Could the walnuts gave the walnuts gone off ?