Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Very Frustrated/Weight Gain

(21 Posts)
GrandmaFaye Wed 19-Dec-18 15:04:36

Hello, I will try to be short and still provide the pertinent details.

I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago, put on meds, lost weight and then controlled by diet.

Had problems with herniated disc for awhile which limited exercise/walking. I was previously walking at least a couple miles everyday prior to this.

This past summer had episode of Atrial Fibrillation and was hospitalized and put on 6 different medications (including diabetes meds and meds for hypertension).

Back surgery 7 weeks ago to correct bulging disc.

With all that being said I have gained about 25 lbs back.

Looking at the medications I am on now 3 of them actually contribute to weight gain..

I am at a loss. What do I do?

What is the best diet to follow while taking medications that are contributing to weight gain?

Thanks for your input.
Faye

Anja Wed 19-Dec-18 15:12:13

Poor you Faye

I can only suggest that you cut back on unnecessary foods such as biscuits and cakes and so on, and fill up on vegetables. Yes, there are a lot of faddy diets to choose from but they all come down to the same things....eating less calorific foods and filling up with other things,

Good luck

Floradora9 Wed 19-Dec-18 16:26:57

I bet you do not eat any biscuits or cakes as Anja has suggested . I do not ever eat a cake and only small no sugar added biscuits as a treat. I had a moan at the diabetic clinic about putting on weight and the answer is ....tough . That is what the medication does to you . I have been told I am letting my blood sugar go too low ( thought I was a star pupil ) with the diet I eat so you have to accept if you do stick to a good diet it is just a consequence of the medication. I put on a stone after starting mine 19 years ago ..

loopyloo Wed 19-Dec-18 16:43:59

I find that if I weigh myself everyday and just try to eat less and more healthily it gradually comes off. Very slow but it is very soon after your surgery. Also I find I need to occupy myself and keep out of the kitchen. But this time of year is a nightmare.

johnsam Wed 30-Jan-19 18:08:51

You really do need to cut down on your food intake first. Do that and see if there are significant changes.

Ellen80 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:19:04

Hi Faye, it seems to be quite difficult to lose weight at our age( I'm 80 today) as we are less active than we use to be. When he was 5 years old my grandchild said" Nana, less Chocolate, more exercise!" That says it all! I try smaller portions of everything but I need more exercise.

mumofmadboys Tue 05-Feb-19 08:23:18

Happy birthday Ellen!!
Try eating off a smaller plate and just have smaller portions of everything and eat slowly.

EllanVannin Tue 05-Feb-19 08:40:44

Happy Birthday Ellen. x ( fingers crossed my 80th next year )

I should exercise more but I feel as though I've done enough throughout my life so don't feel as guilty and I'm not overweight either but at the same time I wish to keep going without the aid of a stick too.

annep1 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:47:05

Perhaps the diabetes clinic can refer you to a nutritionist. Or maybe pay for a couple of sessions with one. Its very annoying to say the least to put on weight after making the effort to control it. I do hope you find a solution.

Lily65 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:49:54

Really boring suggestion Faye, but could you keep a food diary for a week?

Badenkate Tue 05-Feb-19 09:13:42

I also take medication for afib and high blood pressure Faye, and I know exactly the problem you're having, especially if, for some reason, you can't exercise much. Thankfully I'm not diabetic, so I don't have that pressure on me, but I know it would make my afib easier to cope with if I could lose some weight. I have a two-level approach: first, and I think most important, I try to make sure I don't put any more weight on, and I've managed that for the last two years, so at least everything is stable; then I try to lose weight - but it is very difficult. I haven't found a sensible way to do it, other than very slowly by reducing portion sizes.
Are you keeping healthy? If you are, then maybe you shouldn't 'beat yourself up about it'. As my doctor said yesterday when I complained about a couple of side effects from the medicines I'm taking: 'it's those medicines that are keeping you alive and well!'.

Billybob4491 Tue 05-Feb-19 09:29:35

Happy birthday Ellen - Grandma Faye although I am not diabetic I take a tablet that promotes weight gain. Joined Slimming World, follow the diet plan and it seems to be working for me. Wish you well.

Nonnie Tue 05-Feb-19 09:36:38

Happy birthday Ellen

Faye hard as it is it does come down to putting in more than you are using. I do know how hard it is because I was on meds which were known to cause cravings for carbs and I put on weight. I agree that a smaller plate makes you think you have a bigger meal than you do.

Not getting enough exercise makes it even more difficult but if you have ever worn a fitness tracker or used a bike in the gym you will know that, although it makes you fitter, it doesn't burn off that many calories so the only way is to put in less than you are burning.

I think that, by posting on here, you have recognised that you need to do something so that is a really good start. Perhaps being really strict at home (and if you work, at work) but when you go out eat whatever you want. Being a martyr is no fun at all. Good luck

silverlining48 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:19:21

Try your gp because many now send patients to slimming world etc or run their own well-being groups for say 12 weeks for people needing to lose weight. I am on a waiting list myself.

fairisle Tue 05-Feb-19 10:47:16

Happy Birthday Ellenflowers

nikol01 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:19:03

Eating a potassium-rich diet is great for people who are looking to lose weight gained because of medication β€” potassium flushes out sodium. And a potassium-rich diet is linked to other health benefits, such as reduced blood pressure, protection against stroke, and osteoporosis prevention.

Potassium-rich foods include:

bananas
sweet potatoes
avocados
coconut water
spinach
black beans
edamame
potatoes
beets
If you want to know is hgh good for diabetics read this article hghtherapydoctor.us/hgh/is-hgh-good-for-diabetics

annep1 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:52:09

High potassium is dangerous though. It's hard to get a balance of everything.

Eloethan Wed 06-Feb-19 00:09:12

I'm no expert but my opinion is to cut out anything that is not essential, eg biscuits, sweets, cakes, puddings.etc (apart from very occasional treats). Replace most tea, coffee, chocolate, soft drinks, etc., with water. I think water is good before a meal as it fills you up a bit.

smithjocob Mon 04-Mar-19 13:30:46

Love this app hungergym. Stops my bad cravings. You have to download smile search itunes for hungergym
hungergym.com/

Nanabilly Mon 04-Mar-19 14:14:43

I'm on lots of mess for heart and high bp . The worst one for side effects for me is one newly reintroduced recently ..doxasosin. All sorts including weight gain

Telly Mon 04-Mar-19 16:45:29

I would take this back to your GP, they must be able to offer advice to someone in your position. I have a relative with type 1 diabetes and they have managed to lose one and a half stone recently, despite their condition and the meds. It is not easy, but I would think that with the right advice and support it can be done, but I would seriously suggest you take the right medical advice for you and go back to your GP or consultant. Good luck