Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Fitbit

(8 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 09-Jan-19 17:50:34

wondered if you wear one?....I have the fitbit versa and i had the original fitbit for quite a few years before it packed up....I definately manage 10,000 steps daily, can go up to 18/19000 occasionally. Sometimes at weekends it might slide down a bit but i do like the fitbit, just to keep tabs but Im not obsessive with it...

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 19:21:41

Seems the jury now discounts this as a way of getting fit. Apparently the original concept was based on a marketing idea to fool us all.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42864061

However if it gets folk out of doors in the fresh air then its still a good idea.

Shirleyw Thu 10-Jan-19 05:48:36

Thanks for the link Isabella, have now downloaded on phone ?....I see Mosleys point but on the fit bit app it shows the intensity of the steps also on my versa it gives you different exercises to do.....the Fitbit has improved a lot over the years....most of us knows that to improve fitness whether it's walking or other forms it's the intensity of it which gets the pulse rate going.....

Nannylovesshopping Thu 10-Jan-19 09:49:42

I wear a Fitbit, had it several years, it buzzes me if I’ve been on gransnet too long? get to about 1500 steps a day, easy because I have a spaniel, tells me if I used up all my calories for the day, often just after lunch, definitely keeps me moving, I do have lazy tendencies especially in the winter, have to keep moving to keep everything going?

Gonegirl Thu 10-Jan-19 09:58:30

Mine's been in the drawer for about two years. I grew to hate it.

Craicon Thu 10-Jan-19 11:38:46

I love mine and it gets me up and moving. I try to do an average of 12k steps a day but I’m currently unwell with a nasty cold virus so it’s dropped to about 7k this week.
Before that, I never wore a watch.

Telly Thu 10-Jan-19 12:20:01

I bought one in the black friday sale, it is an alta which apparently monitors sleep, you can get one that monitors heart rate too. There is an app that you can use for weight and other fitness things. I do like it, I think it does spur you on a bit. I do have a pedometer app in my phone which I used before.

Pittcity Thu 10-Jan-19 13:35:03

I use mine to alert me when my phone rings or if I get messages and to tell the time. I take very little notice of the other functions.
It is one of the cheap ones from Lidl though.