Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The importance of a balanced diet

(24 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 13:10:47

Make 2019 the year you forget faddy dieting and stick with a balanced diet. grin

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 13:14:36

Well I am in 100% agreement.

M0nica Sun 13-Jan-19 15:03:31

Exactly

toscalily Sun 13-Jan-19 15:10:44

Still working through Christmas gifts, I have chocolate Truffles one side & After Eights the other so definitely following this advise grin

grannyqueenie Sun 13-Jan-19 17:10:58

Where did you find that photo of me, maw? I think it would be wasteful and ungrateful to discard the Hotel Chocolat goodies and the fine wine that I’ve amassed been given over Christmas! grin

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Jan-19 19:22:48

There’s a programme on channel5 tonight at 8p.m. Inside Hotel Chocolat. I’m sure it will be balanced.

Gonegirl Sun 13-Jan-19 19:45:23

I have been searching round the house for any goodies that might have been left over from Christmas. Nothing! ☹️

Gonegirl Sun 13-Jan-19 19:48:57

I gave found Cocopops! Left over from grandson's breakfasts. That'll do nicely. Practically chocolate.

M0nica Sun 13-Jan-19 21:56:27

Our search was successful! We found a mulled wine mix, just one left from a packet of 6 and as we just happened to have (several) bottles of red wine in the rack......... One of my New Year resolutions is to reduce food wastegrin

absent Mon 14-Jan-19 07:12:52

To be really boring, a balanced diet is actually very easy. Go for a small amount of protein – a chop, a chicken breast, a fish fillet, a poached egg, etc. – and a mixture of differently coloured vegetables: peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, beetroot, salad veg, potatoes (yes, they are veg, whatever the government says), cauliflower, and so on.

And if you want to balance your chocolate, why not?

M0nica Mon 14-Jan-19 08:47:38

I thought this was a light and humorous thread. There are plenty of other sensible eating advice threads.

toscalily Mon 14-Jan-19 09:56:23

Oh absent, don't be a killjoy, we really, really know all that!

Doodle Mon 14-Jan-19 14:27:41

Ooh that’s my sort of diet maw. I like mine with a side salad of peanuts on a bed of crisps with some cheese and olives (for my savoury side) and then to finish a dessert of toblerone, marshmallows, nougat and possibly some malteasers sprinkled all over just for presentation points ?

johnsam Thu 24-Jan-19 14:48:02

This is really true. I'm 100% in agreement too.

Thingmajig Thu 24-Jan-19 15:08:32

I am a brand new diabetic so forced (kicking and screaming!) onto the healthy eating lifestyle. Sadly I had just made a batch of lovely maple syrup ice-cream, and have a drawer full of eatables left over from the festive season.
Blood sugar hugely high so until it comes down to a normal level I refuse to be tempted!!!
It's a hard life all of a sudden. sad

EllanVannin Thu 24-Jan-19 16:13:53

Mine's balanced up nicely. A protein and vitamin packed dinner each day and the rest of the time I dive into my large carrier bag of assorted choccies and goodies from Christmas.

Then a neighbour called last week with a tin of Quality Street------because I put his bin out ! I've got enough to last until Easter, no kidding.

Ooooooh, maple syrup ice cream, Thingmajig. I was brought up on maple syrup on account of uncle working for the White Star line during/after the war.

AngelColvin Tue 29-Jan-19 19:17:46

Only 2 weeks after the new year was able to return to a balanced diet. Now I follow it, I am trying at least.

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 19:46:11

Just remembered a box of chocolate mints left from Christmas.
The box should balance on my knee quite nicely.
(I did eat some broccoli for dinner - so I'm feeling quite virtuous!)

Iam64 Tue 29-Jan-19 20:17:15

I was tidying out the shelf in my wardrobe, the shelf where I keep small plastic containers holding winter socks, trainer socks, smart socks to wear with trousers and proper shoes (they don't get worn much), another container for tights, one for belts and so on when, to my delight I came across a box of posh chocolates. I'd obviously put them there thinking they'd come in useful if I needed an emergency Christmas gift. My plan is to go early to bed, with a cup of pure chamomile tea (and the secret chocs)

aggie Tue 29-Jan-19 20:43:09

I have just had a ginger and lemon herbal tea , so a Magnum should balance that wink

MawBroon Tue 29-Jan-19 20:52:37

Serendipity - finding a box of chocs you had forgotten you even had smile

Iam64 Tue 29-Jan-19 21:02:48

I love serendipity. And I love push chocolates. Also, if I hadn’t been bring Good and tidying my socks, I’d never have found the chocs. Have a couple Maw

Iam64 Tue 29-Jan-19 21:03:30

That should say posh, not push chocs. Predictive text strikes again

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Jan-19 23:11:50

I've saved mine for another day.
Balanced a piece of bara brith on my knee instead.