Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

February weight loss thread.

(11 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 31-Jan-19 13:50:38

With all due respect to other threads ( well done folks), would anybody like to join me on an extremely slow journey downwards.

Perhaps we could buddy up and message each other as and when, and the first of every month.

shysal Thu 31-Jan-19 15:21:20

You don't mention which type of weight loss plan you intend to follow. If you are going for intermittent fasting there is a thread entitled '5:2' where most of us are new starters. There will also be a GWI (great weigh in) thread starting tomorrow for the first of each month to keep it separate from the original general support and chat one. There is also another thread called 'I am a pear' with contributors using various eating plans, which has been going for a while. I am sure you would be welcome to join in with either group, but if you have read them and they are not for you, then by all means start your own if you feel there will be enough takers.

shysal Thu 31-Jan-19 15:23:18

Forgot to wish you all the best on your journey, mine will be a long slow one too I fear! flowers

Lily65 Thu 31-Jan-19 16:25:14

Thanks shysal, I am following the " don't eat rubbish" plan.

Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 16:35:46

Oh Lily I’m on that regime too I started last week.

Yes, I’ll join you.

tiredoldwoman Sat 09-Mar-19 07:35:33

I'll join you too, Lily .
I'm a yoyo dieter , up and down throughout the years but it's now refusing to go down !!
In a month Ive only lost 3lbs , doing the LCHF, now changed to The Fast 800 . I need to lose the weight soon as Im having a knee replacement done in May .
I'm eating lots of veg, fish , eggs no manmade foods and apart from the scales not registering much weightloss , I am feeling much fitter and down a size . This old body has gone crazy .

tiredoldwoman Sat 09-Mar-19 07:36:18

So how have you all done so far ?

Anja Sat 09-Mar-19 07:47:10

I fell off the wagon tow due to illness. I’m hoping the warm weather to come will incentivise me to start again.

Well done on going down a size. Just proves there more to health than actual weight.

kelseysmith Fri 13-Sep-19 11:24:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Liza2u1 Thu 17-Oct-19 13:13:14

I don’t get to create a new topic, so I’ll try here
Does chewing gum help with weight loss? true or fiction?
Here are my thoughts on this topic, I am interested in your opinion and personal experience. Thank you in advance

I want to limit myself to food and stumbled upon a short article that chewing gum helps with weight loss.
Do you think this is true? Is it worth it?
Below I will give my thoughts, and I would be glad to hear your opinion

A common reason for overeating lies in the fact that we simply do not understand that we are full and it's time to stop. Saturation signals enter the brain from receptors in the upper part of the stomach. These receptors work only when the stomach is almost full. A feeling of fullness occurs only 15-20 minutes after this moment. Due to such a long delay, people continue to eat even when the stomach is already full, and often eat one and a half to two times more than they need.
Tip: Try to reduce portions of food during each meal and make this meal longer. Eat slower, chew food more thoroughly. If you still don't feel full, use chewing gum like this: [https://www.bestadvisor.com/sugar-free-gum] because its energy value is only 4 kcal per two pillows, while one small caramel contains 25-40 kcal. Plus, chewing gum can break the craving for sweets.

According to medical research, chewing gum helps reduce appetite and dulls hunger. After a while, a saturation signal will enter the brain and you will realize that you have eaten even less food than usual.

Minuses
A recent study by the University of Melbourne confirmed that products with artificial sweeteners soften enamel no less, and sometimes even more, than regular ones containing sucrose. The experiment involved 23 products with a sugar content and 23 analogs with sweeteners. The results of the study even surprised scientists: enamel damage was almost identical, with a slight margin in terms of the degree of damage to the “sugar-free” products.

The main pests are citric and phosphoric acid. They corrode enamel, at an early stage leading to tooth sensitivity, then to the destruction of enamel and dentin.

Most often, acid pests are found in “sugarless” fruit-flavored products, whether it is a drink or candy. Least of all acids are menthol and eucalyptus products.

An additional risk factor is psychological. Having eaten a cake, you most likely rinse your mouth or brush your teeth because you know about the dangers of sugar. But if you are sure that the sweetie that you have been absorbing for the last 15 minutes does not contain sugar, it would never occur to you to take security measures!

Liza2u1 Thu 17-Oct-19 13:16:46

I mean this: www.bestadvisor.com/sugar-free-gum. If it's important. And is there any dietary chewing gum, possibly with some other, more meaty tastes