Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Yoga. Yikes!

(4 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:02:52

I thought yoga might be a good easy way to improve my flexibility and general health. First session yesterday of a 'therapeutic' yoga class. Very kind and careful teacher. Oh boy it was hard. Just lying about stretching and pushing. Despite the freezing temperatures I ended up sweating. I'm sore in places I didn't know I had!
Getting down on the floor was hard but getting back up harder still. I'm so stiff and sore this morning that it must be doing me good!
I'll stick with it. Surely it'll get easier.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:18:35

Oh yes!
I keep telling myself that doing just a little each day should help but I haven't done any today (or yesterday)!

Our teacher had the hall lovely and warm and we did some warming up stretches but I still felt it the next day.
Then the teacher (who is about my age) gets up lithely from the floor without using her hands!

Jane10 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:34:46

The others laughed at me and said I was like the princess and the pea as I found the yoga mat so thin. I'm bruised today on my (mercifully few) bony bits. I suppose it's because I don't have the muscle control to lower myself gently and go down with a thump. It's an old building. I hope the foundations are up to my repeated visits. blush

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:52:59

Started yoga about 2 years ago to strengthen my ankle after an operation.

Some of our class members do chair yoga and it works well for them.

I have found wearing wrist and ankle supports helps greatly with the more strenuous movements.

Stick with it if you can.
When I started I felt extremely unfit and my balance was unsteady to say the least, I had to use a chairback as support to enable me to do the standing on one leg movments. Now however I can do these movments without any support and just recently I seem to have lost the 'wobble'.

Yoga is all about taking movements slowly and listening to your body.

Good luck.