Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What do you pay for classes?

(18 Posts)
SalsaQueen Tue 14-May-19 11:33:47

I go to Zumba and Aerobics classes, at any of the 4 leisure centres run by the council. I pay £25 per month, and that entitles me to go to any class (there are lots of different activities and sports), and to use the gym any time during opening hours.

Without joining, the classes are £5 - £9 per session.

RedRidingHood Mon 13-May-19 22:03:19

My Pilates is £4.50 for an hour and I pay £15 a month for unlimited use of a brand new (council run) gym.

Mamissimo Mon 13-May-19 19:07:04

Well I bit the bullet and booked a one hour 1:1 to get me started safely - that was good advice! She said I wasn’t strong enough for a full class and she put together a programme for the first three weeks to get me started at home. It’s just 25 mins three time a week.

On week 4 she will come and assess my progress. I will be glad when I am ready to join with others. I find it hard to motivate to do it in the morning - the dog and cat line up beside me to watch and it’s rather unnerving! I shall try to keep it going.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-May-19 18:14:13

I am quite lucky I attend a yoga class for £3.50.

It is in a gym in an over 55 apartment complex. (residents pay 2.50)

The Yoga teacher is from our local leisure centre, she is employed by the local council and attends several classes outside the leisure centre including a 'Stroke Class'.

If there is social over 55 apartment complex near where you live mamissimo_it may be worth checking out.

I can also join the gym and do other exercise classes in the complex.

The hairdressers, beauty and holistic therapies are also excellent.

chelseababy Mon 13-May-19 17:51:52

£5 for 45 minutes pilates

Katek Mon 13-May-19 10:29:08

£12 for an hour’s Pilates class, but it’s physio led so is ideal for me. There are only 4 of us in the class so lots of individual input

Jane10 Mon 13-May-19 10:07:05

The remedial yoga class I go to is £10 a session but there are usually only 4 or 5 of us there and the instructor tailors the classes to our specific problems. It's worth it to me.

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 07:54:37

U3As often run classes at good rates. I think I would start with something gentle. £10+ is quite a lot to pay.

genie10 Mon 13-May-19 07:50:27

I agree jeannie99 that you have to be careful with pilates. It's great exercise if you work to your own level. Make sure you speak to the instructor before you start the class. At my gym the instructor always asks if anyone is new or has health issues and then has a quiet few words with them before we begin.

jeanie99 Sun 12-May-19 10:04:01

Just a word of warning, since you have been ill.
I joined a Pilates class but after a number of weeks I injured my back and neck and have only this last few weeks got back to normal.
I am waiting for a physio appointment to advice on the exercise I can do safely.
You need to do a one to one lesson if there is any chance of a problem because I found that the instructor didn't come round checking if you were doing the positions correctly.
Before this happened I had never had neck or back problems I'm 74 yrs old and have done gym work for most of my life but never done classes.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but just wanted to say be careful our health is precious and you can't put a price on it.

Shirleyw Mon 29-Apr-19 05:53:06

£6 with discount for various classes within a council run leisure centre in Luton

Mamissimo Fri 26-Apr-19 22:21:45

So far it looks like £8 is a median kind of figure.....that’s really helpful. I think it was the £30 that threw me!

Grannyknot Fri 26-Apr-19 22:10:01

I pay £8 for a weekly outdoor Circuit Training class for one hour (a mixture of cardio and core exercises. I love it). SW London.

Pilates around here is around £12 an hour.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Apr-19 21:58:14

Ours seem to be £8 too

janeainsworth Fri 26-Apr-19 21:52:29

£8 for a 1-hour group Pilates class.
The teacher is a qualified physiotherapist and classes are limited to 12. You have to pay for a block of 6, though there’s some flexibility if you know well in advance that you’re going to be away.

Zumba Gold is £4 for 45 minutes, though the group is much bigger.

tanith Fri 26-Apr-19 21:25:49

I pay £29 a month at my gym and all the classes,gym and swimming pool are free to use as often as I like.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 20:35:11

DH and I pay £70 a month for joint membership of our local sports club. Thereafter use of the facilities and classes is free. Non members coming to the pilates class I attend pay £10.

I also do Tai Chi for the over 50s. organised through some vaguely official group, with some subsididy in the lcal village hall. This costs me £6 an hour.

This is all in south Oxfordshire, so not a cheap area of the country.

Mamissimo Fri 26-Apr-19 17:35:43

My GP has finally agreed that I am well enough to exercise after a 4 year break and has recommended Pilates for core strength. I’ve looked for local recommendations and am amazed to find prices from £5 to £30+ for an hours group class. What is normal where you live?