Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Special holiday for 60th but excess weight absolutely will not budge.

(17 Posts)
Mossfarr Sat 04-May-19 14:50:06

I am 60 very soon and to celebrate this milestone myself and OH will be going to Barbados (Its also our 40th anniversary but hey, my 60th is much more important)!!

I need to lose some weight - not a massive amount, just less than a stone, but it simply will not budge.
I started following the Keto diet 6 weeks ago as I've read that it is a really healthy way to eat and gives excellent results. I never expected weight to 'drop off' as it simply doesn't work like that for me but- Nothing - not even 1 lb! I am so furious, less than a month now until we go away, I so wanted to be a bit slimmer. Any suggestions?

janeainsworth Sat 04-May-19 15:03:06

If you only needed to lose less than a stone, don’t worry about it and just enjoy your holiday.
We had a week in Barbados after we retired and it was the best holiday I’ve ever had sunshine

DoraMarr Sat 04-May-19 15:18:25

Don’t worry about it. Just buy some really lovely clothes that flatter the shape you are, go and have a lovely time. Diets don’t work- the only way to lose weight is by eating sensibly and being more active, but it takes time.

Mossfarr Sat 04-May-19 15:25:26

DoraMarr.. I eat a really sensible lo-carb diet and work out in a gym four times a week. The other days are spend running after my 2year old granddaughter so I am pretty active already!

I have been investing in some new clothes but being a very short 'apple' shape its difficult to find anything flattering lol.

janeainsworth.. hopefully I will be able to avoid mirrors whilst i'm there lol. I am really looking forward to Barbados, so far I haven't heard a bad word about it from anyone.

DoraMarr Sat 04-May-19 16:27:23

Gosh, you do sound active! Perhaps you are just the weight you should be.

Telly Sat 04-May-19 16:39:09

Why not try to 5:2 diet? I did lose some weight a couple of years ago by following it, but sadly it has gone back on. It does work, especially as you have a holiday in mind. It does does odd, though - sticking to a diet, working out 4 times a week and still not losing any weight! Assuming that you have cut down on your intake that is.confused

Anja Sat 04-May-19 17:29:45

I’ve lost 1kg this week. I follow a diet of my own invention call ‘Cut out the Crap Diet’.

We can all devise our own version of this. Mine is
Breakfast 10.00 am 1 piece of toast, buttered and a poached egg
Lunch 1.30 pm natural live yoghurt and berries
Dinner 6.00pm some kind of protein and lots of vegetables and small glass of wine.

Nothing else. This is also 16:8

janeainsworth Sat 04-May-19 17:56:39

My method is similar to anja's.
When I went to Barbados I weighed 69 kg. I now weigh 60 and have done for the last 3 years.
I have 3 meals a day of sensible portions, not too much carbohydrate and as little refined sugar as possible. Lots if salad and veg.
Sometimes in the afternoon if I've been working hard in the garden I might have a scone with my afternoon cup of tea.
I have one or two drinks each evening.
I'm fairly active but I don't think exercise contributes to weight loss very much, it just helps you maintain strength & is good for flexibility & balance.

It took 4 years to lose 9kg but it has stayed off.

Treebee Sat 04-May-19 19:21:19

If you drink alcohol, cut down or even stop. I used to have wine every day but since stopping, the weight is gradually going. Nothing else has worked so effectively for me.

janeainsworth Sat 04-May-19 19:37:26

It depends what you replace the alcohol with Treebee.

Mossfarr Sun 05-May-19 12:42:25

I don't often drink alcohol, even when I do its rarely more than one or two drinks.
I don't eat bread as it gives me heartburn, eat very little sugar or processed foods and most of my meals are salads or stir fry veggies. No potatoes, rice or pasta.

When I was doing keto (for six weeks) I never exceeded 1500 calories per day. It simply doesn't make sense. The rest of my family eat the same and lose weight!!

Doramarr - the weight I should be LOL its a nice thought but no, I definitely need to lose weight around my middle.

Tedber Tue 07-May-19 13:12:48

Just another angle Mossfarr - maybe you aren't eating enough? I struggled for years upon years THINKING I was doing right, telling myself I just don't lose weight, poor metabolism etc then I joined a well known 'club', began eating more than have ever eaten before including potatoes, pasta and rice plus plenty of veg, fruit and protein and the weight dropped off!!! 3 stone in less than a year!

Apparently I wasn't actually eating enough?? Go figure cos I can't but it has worked and I've never felt slimmer or more healthy ...and am still eating lots a day!

I also have a flat stomach - without exercising. I do walk a lot but always have done.

janeainsworth Tue 07-May-19 14:54:06

mossfarr and tedber this popped up in my emails today and might interest you. It says just what you were saying tedber - that if you cut calories too much or miss meals, your metabolism slows and so you need less.
blog.myfitnesspal.com/4-myths-nutritionists-wish-people-would-forget/?utm_source=international&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFP_Intl_NL_UI_Weekly_20190506&os_ehash=55@sfmc:86047742

Tedber Wed 08-May-19 11:23:38

That article is very interesting jane...thank you.

jeanie99 Sun 12-May-19 09:53:19

Found this on the net, may be useful.

www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day#section3

Buy some pretty cotton loose dresses you'll need to stay cool it can be hot there.
Barbados is a great island to visit, go on the buses with the locals it can be fun and the people are friendly.
Travel to the east coast the coastline is rugged with crashing waves and good beaches to walk on.
You don't have to pay for organized travel do it yourself and have a wonderful time.

oldgimmer1 Sun 12-May-19 09:58:23

You're not going to lose anything before going away.

You don't say how much you eat at the moment, but for an average woman 1200 calories a day will probably mean a pound a week off.

It's tough- really tough- and you have to have the resolve to stick to it long term.

Download MFP to your phone and start using it, being completely honest. You WILL lose weight, but slowly.

janeainsworth Mon 13-May-19 03:50:53

That’s an interesting article jeanie, particularly the part about eating more protein.
And your advice about Barbados is spot on! That’s exactly what we did!smile