Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Never to old to lose weight and exercise.

(75 Posts)
Whiff Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:39

I started to put weight on when I was eight. Am now sixty one. When I started dating my husband in 1975 I was sixteen and 11 stone. When we got married I was near 14st. After having our in 1983 daughter I was 18st. My weight fluctuated after that lowest I got was 17st and the biggest 21st. Every time I decided to lose weight my late husband and children supported me and never once was disappointed in me when I gave up and put it back on.
My husband died in 2004 at the age of forty seven I was forty five. In the intervening years I yo yo dieted.
In 2017 after my mom died I became ill just thought I was run down. I have am illness which I have had for 31 yrs . No one can tell me a name for it. I have spent years under varies consultant neurologists. I am lucky whatever it is is not killing me but has made life difficult. I have symptoms of various neurological disorders. Why I have given that information is because of two of the tablets I was taking for pain and fits gave me jaundice. I couldn't see I was yellow. Just thought all I had gone through being ill, bring the children up, my husband cancer and death. Helping with my dad until he died. Looking after my mom for ten years until her death.
Because I was so ill from the March until finally being discharged by the gastrologist(hope I have spelt that right) in August I couldn't do anything for a long time . Even lifting an empty mug was impossible. I had a lot of time to think about what I wanted out of life now none was dependent on me. Lose weight was top of the list followed by move closer to live by the children and get fitter.
I decided my weight would be a marathon and not a sprint. I would be happy to lose quarter of pound a week. In January 2018 I joined a community fit club programme run by Age UK. It was for 12 weeks. Because I have to walk with a stick and have balance problems the fitness instructor was wonderful. I used a chair to hold on to too do leg exercises and sat down to do the arm ones.
When I started to diet in April 2017 I was 19st 2.25lbs size 32. Hadn't exercised for 40yrs. I am now 11 st 12.25lbs size 16. Lost 7st 4lbs. Didn't start measuring myself until June 2017. But have lost 7" from my bust,11.5" waist and 15" from my hips. I want to get to 11st.
I have cut out danger foods from my diet i.e. chocolate, ice cream and cheese. Can't control how much I eat of those. I have not gone to weight clubs. Tried that when Nick was alive doesn't work for me. I weight everything I eat and drink and count calories. Write it down to keep check. I know even when I get to 11st for the rest of my life I will have to weigh and count calories it's the only way I can control what I put into my mouth. The fitness class carried on due to a grant from Aged UK until August 2018. I have carried on with the exercises. I do 25 mins every day. My strength has improved so has my balance. All my family and friends can't get over the change in me. They tell me all the time how proud of me they are.
My late husband would be shocked. He always loved me no matter how big I got.
It's not been easy and some weeks I have put on. But I have not given up. If I can do it you can to. I spent decades being over weight. No more. Hope this has helped some one out there.

SirChenjin Sun 07-Jul-19 11:24:21

What a fantastic achievement Whiff - well done! ?? It serves as a great reminder to those of us who make constant excuses for our own overeating and lack of exercise that there is nothing stopping us from making the changes. Thank you for sharing your story ?

Whiff Sun 07-Jul-19 08:37:20

Hope everyone is having some success with dieting. For the last 2 weeks my weight has stayed the same . I didn't want to cut my calories as I allow myself 1,200 to 1,300 a day. So on Monday I upped my exercise routine to 30 mins a day. Doing the extra 5 mins a day has helped as today which is my weigh and record day. I have lost 1 lb . As I have said before it's a marathon not a sprint. Hope you are doing well and enjoying the sunshine while it lasts.

Annaram1 Sun 23-Jun-19 14:55:06

Congratulations Whiff!!! Very well done.
Best wishes to all tryers.

Whiff Sat 22-Jun-19 08:19:58

Varian. Thank you I appreciate that.

varian Sat 22-Jun-19 08:00:47

I certainly don't think you were being patronising. I really congratulate you.

Whiff Sat 22-Jun-19 07:44:18

Varian I have read your message five times now. Perhaps I am reading it wrong or its just me, but you sound as if I was being patronising when I started this thread. I can assure you I am not like that nor did I write to get praise.
I just wanted to tell my story with the hope it might just give one person hope that you can change your relationship with food. And get fitter.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 18:01:34

Well done *Whiff". What an achievement! However it is really hard work to do what you have done. Many folk don't realise that so I'm glad you've explained how important it is to go slowly and not to get disheartened.

Daisymae Thu 20-Jun-19 17:48:56

Brilliant to hear of your success! I have usually yo-yo dieted. The most damaging thing I have done was to listen to the 'dieting makes you fat' mantra that was popular years ago and my weight has crept up. Currently trying the 5:2 diet. Going to be more strict having read of your success. Thanks for posting and good luck with the last few pounds.

Moocow Thu 20-Jun-19 14:43:23

I would just like to add my thanks Whiff for starting this thread/post/discussion grin. It is definitely inspiring and also to read everyone's replies. I'm forever struggling as it's not just feeling hungry but stopping eating for various reasons when really I am not hungry. I can definitely relate to putting on more than I lose every single time over many years. I've added your post to my watch list in the hope I will turn to it when I need to stay strong and to remind myself that it's not a race as that has definitely been my downfall.

Whiff Wed 19-Jun-19 09:43:32

I told my brother that I had started a thread( hope I used the right terminology) and all the lovely things you have all said. He said told you are an inspiration. Love hearing everyone else's stories.
Dizzygran I always have whole grain cereal for breakfast. Homemade soup for lunch with a slice of bread in it. Is my whatever soup. Made from any veg I have in and red lentils. I make a big batch enough for 6-7 days. When it was so hot last summer I tried having salad for lunch but it did not satisfied me. So I went back to my soup. Because it is hot I eat it slowly which filling me up. Usually I have some sort of stew for dinner. Little meat plenty of veg and pearl barley I make enough for 6 meals and portion it up . It keeps well in the fridge. Two years ago I brought a Easiyo yogurt maker. I have the low fat no sugar greek style mix. Always have yogurt and fruit after dinner.
Haven't brought meat mince or sausages for 18 months use instead Quorn ones.

dizzygran Tue 18-Jun-19 10:13:11

Very well done to everyone losing weigh. Its not easy, but worth the effort - and great to be able to buy and fit into smaller sizes and knowing you don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. Do keep it up. I find it easier to have a low carb diet - lots of fish and chicken, fruit and veg. Whiff - I am sure your husband would be proud of you. Do this for you and your own self esteem.

seadragon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:09:37

Massive achievement, Whiff! Well done.

Patticake123 Mon 17-Jun-19 19:52:58

Whiff you are inspirational, well done!

Hymnbook Mon 17-Jun-19 19:34:18

It's easy to say l know l will feel and look better if l loose weight and exercise regularly. But so hard to actually do. You have done so well Whiff. You must have strong will power. I would like to lose my stomach a lot of my clothes don't fit nicely any more. But it's the same with a lot of things l have to face no motivation enthusiasm what does it matter when l live alone.

4allweknow Mon 17-Jun-19 18:58:52

You have done really well. Starting on a fitness/diet programme is relatively easy but keeping with it is so so hard. Congratulations on overcoming all setbacks you have had and losing so much weight. You are an inspiration and should be proud.

schnackie Mon 17-Jun-19 18:47:48

What an inspiring post Whiff! Thank you so much for sharing. It is very timely for me, as I return from family holiday in one week and I plan to start dieting after jet lag wears off. I am also short (only 5 feet) so at near 12 stone, it really affects my mobility. I was very lucky to not have had a problem with my weight until menopause, but that was 15 years ago and it has been steadily creeping on. You are so right about being a change of mindset about food and taking a slow approach. Thanks again for you wonderful post and good luck with the house sale!

Phoebes Mon 17-Jun-19 18:24:21

What a inspiring story! Well done!

Grandmama Mon 17-Jun-19 18:00:36

Well done, I'm sure your general health will improve too.flowers

Daddima Mon 17-Jun-19 17:25:54

Well done Whiff!
My son lost 6 stone using an app like 25 Avalon mentioned, called My Fitness Pal. It shows the amount of calories in hundreds of foods, as well as how many calories you’ve eaten each day. It also shows how much fat, carbohydrate, protein, sugar etc you’ve consumed.

Meta Mon 17-Jun-19 16:57:39

Well done Whiff - thank you for sharing your story.
Like you I’ve come round to counting calories to help weight loss. I wear a basic Fit Bit, and with its app on my tablet/phone, I put in everything I consume- only takes a minute. It’s really easy then to see how many calories I’ve consumed, as well as any calories used whilst tracking my steps, or any exercise. I can set a target loss per week and it shows me whether I’m eating too much and burning too little to achieve it. Obviously it may not be totally accurate but seems to be working for me. I don’t know if this would benefit anyone else. Anyway, I so admire your determination to lose weight and exercise, fantastic!

25Avalon Mon 17-Jun-19 14:03:20

Well done. For anyone out there who is techno savy you can get an app for your mobile phone which will show how many calories there are in everything before you decide if to eat it or not which is useful if you eat out at all.

Hazeld Mon 17-Jun-19 13:33:22

Well done Whiff. You have done brilliantly. I bought some new scales recently, they're 'smart' scales and tell you your weight BMI, visceral fat and other things. I was alarmed to see how heavy I was. I knew I had put on weight but didn't realise how much. Your post has given me the inspiration to lose weight and do it slowly so thank you for that.

Kim19 Mon 17-Jun-19 13:26:29

Well done OP. So glad for you. Took me to ripe old age of 74 to find out how my body best responded to attempted weight loss. Barring any unforeseen medical drama, I'm certainly never going back there. This slimmer me can only see/feel the benefits. Good luck and perseverance to all of us on this long and windy road

vickya Mon 17-Jun-19 13:09:00

Whiff , that's what I loved too! No more sales staff saying we haven't got it in YOUR size. M&S per Una were very good around that time and I got things I loved. The novelty wore off though and I hardly buy any clothes now. Buying for grandkids is more fun smile.

About the sale of your place falling through; my older daughter was in a one bed flat, very tiny bedroom, with a 12 yr old and a 3 yr old. She had to move in after divorce and it took 2 years for her place to sell. One of the times they were all packed to move and removal booked and the buyer pulled out 2 days before moving.She was working full time too and doing an M.A. Stress!

She moved in April, after having to camp out at a friend,sharing the living room sofa with small granddaughter for 7 weeks while her new home was renovated. Then, moving in stuff booked and the day before the boiler was condemned! A plumber was fitting a new one while the removal stuff was being delivered.
Some day your buyer will come. (like a prince but with a contract to buy) You only need one. Fingers crossed for you.

Whiff Mon 17-Jun-19 13:08:11

Judi45 I use an old copy of Rosemary Conley A-Z of fat and calories. Unfortunately when I wanted to get a new copy couldn't get on anywhere. I always look at packaging for all the things I buy. See how many calories per 100g and using my trusty calculator work out per gram. I then write it in the book. There are calorie books available also supermarkets have nutritional and calorie information on all there products on line. The NHS website has some useful information . Which you might find interesting. Don't buy fancy diet books found they are useless. For me the key has been weighing everything and counting the calories I have done it by myself. I tried slimming clubs years ago but they were not for me. But for some people they work. You have to find what suits you. No easy I know. Hope that helps.