Dieting & exercise

Counting steps

(11 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 17-Jun-19 10:30:42

Another dumb question

Because I don’t go out I do very little walking. I now have to
count my steps around the house throughout the day ! How
daft.

There are ‘things’ people use when walking, what are they called and would they be any use for very short walks through the day ?

Bopeep14 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:36:26

There are all sorts of gadgets out there now, but a cheap option for counting steps is a pedometer. I had a fit bit at one time.

Jane10 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:44:43

I really wanted a fit bit sort of thing but was so bamboozled by choice that I just gave up. They ranged from about £16-£200+. I didn't want anything complicated. Just something to count my steps and remind me to move about a bit.

GrandmaKT Mon 17-Jun-19 10:50:59

If you have a mobile phone Annie and carry it around with you, you can download a step-counting app. I use one called Pacer.

shysal Mon 17-Jun-19 11:28:39

I have an idiot-proof Tanita 3-axes pedometer which can be carried in a pocket or around your neck, available from Ebay or Amazon for less that £20. It is very accurate - I know because I have counted my steps to check it. I know your mobility is limited but wonder if you would be interested in this DVD from Amazon which can be followed in a low key way. It has to be less boring than walking around the house! Sometimes I make up my total by doing circuits of my small house ground floor, but it makes me dizzy before long!

JessK Mon 17-Jun-19 11:30:23

Do you have a mobile phone? My phone has a step counter on it. You just need to remember to carry it around with you.

Anniebach Mon 17-Jun-19 11:51:50

You are so kind. Pedometer is the name I couldn’t recall.

Right, can’t use mobile phone, walking stick in one hand phone in the other makes carrying mug of tea difficult , and am sure I would leave phone in the loo.

Will look on Amazon, the council are fitting a handrail on my front path so my physiotherapist wants me walking up and down the path as well as counting steps in the house , all because of muscle wastage.

Expect I will be climbing the Beacons soon ?

Dottygran59 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:57:02

Annie, you might want to look for Leslie Sansome on you tube - she does 'walking at home' videos. I use them all the time, you can do a one mile walk to five miles - one mile only takes 20 mins and the steps soon add up - Beacons here we come!! Race ya

Anniebach Mon 17-Jun-19 12:12:09

See you at the top of Penyfan Dotty

A mile walk ? My front path is 9 feet , this means walking it
587 times to walk a mile , it will take weeks to walk a mile outdoors ?

tanith Mon 17-Jun-19 13:18:28

Anniebach you can have your mobile phone in a pocket it still counts steps.

Babs758 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:25:31

I have my phone in my bag and wear it across my body. Did this when recovering from an operation and walking on crutches. The app still counted the steps! I find it really useful as it also counts floors climbed and I can add my swimming meters to it. Only averaging 5000 steps a day now as working full time but every little helps. Losing weight at around 0.5 kg a week which is very slow but better than nothing!