Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

loosing weight

(24 Posts)
chattypat Tue 09-Jul-19 16:37:16

I would like to lose weight i'am currently 15 stones keep eating to much and is getting me down. anyone any advice a diet that works.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 16:38:53

Stop eating too much !

aggie Tue 09-Jul-19 16:40:22

look at your shopping list , cross off all the biscuits and cake , add in salad leaves , tomatoes etc

Oldandverygrey Tue 09-Jul-19 16:40:22

Try Slimming World chattypat, worked for me.

aggie Tue 09-Jul-19 16:41:14

and go for a walk , small walks first then further when you stop puffing and panting

leyla Tue 09-Jul-19 16:41:20

I am doing Slimming World and have lost weight but I don't stick to it very well - think the reason I have lost weight is that I am doing a lot more exercise. I find dieting miserable.

Oldandverygrey Tue 09-Jul-19 16:43:35

Leyla, have lost three and a half stone over 10 months, way of life now for me, but temptation is always round the corner!

PamGeo Tue 09-Jul-19 16:47:28

I'm exactly the same chattypat , I'm certainly not tall enough for my weight.
I'v started (yesterday) writing down everything I'm eating and working out the calories I've had. I'm not going to work it out before I've eaten because that seems too much fuss right now. I will however be able to see what I've eaten and work out how many calories I'm actually eating and then I'll have a plan on how to tweak it.
I have a health issue that does seriously affect my mobility at times and this is why I've been steadily piling the weight on.
I eat when I'm bored, when I'm upset, when I'm having company and a good time etc etc etc ... I like food, cooking and feeding people I love baking and seeing others enjoy it.
At this moment I have a pad and a pen in my kitchen and I'm being honest about what I'm eating so that I can plan my meals around what I like and what I'm actually eating but with less calories. I'm not going to eliminate any particular food just reduce it if it's high calorie.
Good luck and I'll let you know how I'm getting on in a few weeks maybe

Missfoodlove Tue 09-Jul-19 17:02:01

Cut down on bread, white rice, pasta and potatoes.
Don’t eat crisps, sweets cakes or biscuits.
Drink a large glass of water before every meal.
Never drink juices or carbonated drinks even if the can says diet.
Exercise as much as possible.
Have one day a week to eat and drink what you wish.
Good luck.

SallyWithTheGoodHair Tue 09-Jul-19 17:05:16

Don’t beat yourself up. Try to make a plan every week and stick to food you prepare yourself rather than processed food.

avery64 Tue 09-Jul-19 17:22:58

But a smaller plate. I have lost 1st 7lbs in a year by reducing portion sizes (easy to do with a smaller plate) and cutting out snacking between meals.

M0nica Tue 09-Jul-19 18:27:35

What you need is not a diet but a different attitude to how you eat. If your current eatting pattern leads to weight gain you need to accept that this has got to be ditched completely and replaced by a better balanced eating pattern that you enjoy.

I assume you know what a healthy diet is, more fruit and veg, less fat, sugar and processed foods. Plan an eating pattern you enjoy around these basics. there are lots of recipes around us all the time, online, in magazines and newspapers, collect ones that appeal to you and try them out. It is surprising how quickly you build up a personal recipe database.

Just doing that and following it may well see weight loss. Then become more active. It doesn't have to mean going to a leisure centre or sports club. DH is starting his exercise plan by walking to the shop to buy his papers instead of taking the car. He may then lengthen his walk and just gradually become more active in the house and garden. There are plenty of exercise program online. My local village hall has regular Tai Chi classes, gentle exercises that are much better for you than their gentleness implies.

Once you have developed a new eating pattern you enjoy with a regular exercise pattern you enjoy, then you can think of cutting portions and doing a little more exercise to get your weight to where you want it and then gradually , when you reach the new weight, start eating more, possibly exercising a little less until food and weight both stabilise.

Whiff Wed 10-Jul-19 14:17:58

Chattypat May give you some ideas if you read my post titled never to old to lose weight and exercise. Also the replies that followed may be of interest to you. Wishing you well.

beautybumble Sun 21-Jul-19 12:39:10

Plan just two things to start with. First don't buy anything that contains sugar, and I mean anything, including tinned beans or soup, and nothing with too much salt. Next, go for a walk every day at the same time so that it becomes a habit. Increase the length and speed of the walk until you're doing a brisk walk for an hour. Tell yourself that in the beginning you're bound to feel a bit tired and slight headaches, but it won't last for more than a few days and then you'll feel amazing compared to now. Once you do you can progress from there by doing more. Salt is in practically everything and thats one reason people put on weight, so try to buy more fresh food. Good luck.

Daddima Sun 21-Jul-19 13:38:03

PamGeo, this is a good wee website-

www.myfitnesspal.com

MiniMoon Sun 21-Jul-19 17:12:12

I'm trying to lose 1st 11lbs. It's not easy when I'm cooking for two of us, but I've started cutting out carbs as much as possible. I used to live on bread and potatoes but now I'm really trying to resist them. I've never been keen on cakes and pastries so I'm not tempted by those. I do eat sweets, but not chocolate, so I now have to shut my eyes and run past the sweet shop. I've started, so I'm determined to succeed.

merlotgran Sun 21-Jul-19 18:09:34

I lost two and a half stone with Weight Watchers online and it's staying off!!

oldgimmer1 Sun 21-Jul-19 18:14:04

I think you could start by looking at the eating behaviour that led you to where you are now.

Then work out your TDEE (plenty of sites online). That will give you how many calories you use per day. (Mine's around 1500).

Join mfp as suggested above - you'll probably be given around 1200 calories a day to play with - and devise an eating plan to fit.

Personally, I wouldn't advocate cutting out a food group as I'd prefer the flexibility.

Losing weight isn't all that hard but keeping it off is! Especially for us oldiesgrin.

wildswan16 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:40:12

Reported

LullyDully Fri 20-Dec-19 08:50:53

If you don't want to exist in lettuce leaves and enjoy you food, I would recommend Slimming World.

You can eat most things but will learn how to do it. The support is great, they are generally a friendly bunch.

Give it a go. The very worst bit is the first weigh in , after that it should be less every time you go, even if you stay the same or loose a half pound.

Good luck, I lost 3 stone in about 10 months too, I also have given up cake and biscuits but have a curley whirly every night from the freezer....lovely.

milehigh Sun 05-Jan-20 20:02:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Xxjanexx Sun 05-Jan-20 20:12:06

Hi use a free app called MyFitnessPal it is excellent I’ve lost 5 stone using it...the app sets you a certain amount of calories depending on weight height etc
It even has a bar scanner so you can scan the barcode on your foods.
You can basically eat what you like as long as you don’t go over your calories for the day
I also eat protein first on my plate as that is most filling,then veggies eat slowly,and remember it takes 20mins for your tummy to tell your brain your full
Also hunger can also be a sign of thirst.

FearlessSwiftie Wed 15-Jan-20 09:44:54

I`m trying to stick to my diet but it is rather hard as I am the biggest sugar lover in the world. I`m compensating it with my workouts, it is easier for me even though I know it is not the final decision. To follow my workout schedule I`ve created a 2020 calendar using a special calendar making software. I made 3 days of each week green (instead of white) and that helps me remember that like tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I`m up for the gym

Pippa000 Wed 15-Jan-20 10:14:36

I joined Slimming World last April and to date have lost 3.5 stone. I still have biscuits, chocolates and the occasional glass of wine or G&T, go out for meals, have fish and chips etc, just not as often as I did before. The diet is not restrictive and very easy to follow. I have also upped my exercise as I now have a dog to walk, to generally feeling much fitter, and can even keep up with the grandchildren!