Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Fast 800 diet

(16 Posts)
Tishee Tue 06-Aug-19 19:22:40

Hi everyone- I am now on week five of the Fast 800 and have lost 1 Stone 3lbs, which I’m happy with. The recipes in the Fast 800 book are good and varied, and I’m using a calorie counting app to ensure I’m within 800 cals per day. However! I think my 71 yr old body is becoming used to the intake, and weight gets stuck - and some days I can put a lb on! I am being EXTREMELY disciplined and haven’t even had an alcoholic drink in the five weeks (a miracle for me). But tonight I craved something different and bought a carton of M&S Smoked Haddock Chowder, and had half. Still well within my daily calorie allowance. But if course, chowder contains potatoes, and the Fast 800 diet avoids carbs. I am a pescatarian, so limited to fish and veg. Are any of you Gransnetters on this diet? I’d love a buddy to bounce stuff off re this diet. Thanks, ever hopeful.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:46:36

You don't say how much you want to loose.

1 stone 3lbs in five weeks is a lot. Do you intend to stay on this diet until you reach a target weight? Sounds like you have cut out lots of things you normally eat which could make it difficult to keep the weight off, when you come off the diet.

Good luck in finding someone on the diet. Only diet I have tried is a healthy plateful and plenty of exercise. Doesn't always work for me as I like a glass of wine and my baking too much. They are hard to cut out completely.

paddyann Tue 06-Aug-19 21:01:45

I did a version of this last year.I didn't restrict anything as long as it was within my calorie count .I fasted for 18 hours and only ate for 6 each day.I lost 2 and a half stone in ten weeks.I've kept it off by doing the 18/6 plan though increased my calories to around 1500 a day .I never feel hungry and even have the odd drink,though I;m not much of a drinker .Stick with it .I hope it goes well for you.I'm 65 and dont do a lot of exercise just pilates and some walking .Though I do look after the GC a LOT .

M0nica Tue 06-Aug-19 21:05:26

DH and I have started this system this week. DH has been diagnosed with sleep apnea and advised not to drive until it is controlled. Its cause is associated with obesity (now there is an incentive to lose weigh). I could do with losing a few more lbs so I am doing it with him as moral support and out of self interest.

We are only doing 3 weeks to begin with as we go on holiday for a fortnight in 3 weeks time. We will resume it on our return for another 3 weeks and then assess the situation. By then I will probably be at my target weight and not wanting to lose more. I will then return to the original 5:2 maintenance plan, which I have been on very effectively for about 5 years, since losing 2 stone in four months on the original 5:2 diet.

BBbevan Tue 06-Aug-19 21:13:38

I did it a few years ago. Lost nearly 3 stone and reversed my diabetes. I did get 'stuck' weeks but they do pass if you persevere. I have maintained my weight loss by keeping to a low carb diet. Good luck Tishee, you can do it ???

Bathsheba Tue 06-Aug-19 21:19:51

I did it a few years ago.

I thought the Fast 800 book had only been published earlier this year? ?

BBbevan Wed 07-Aug-19 06:12:14

Very similar to the Michael Mosley book ' Reverse your Diabetes in 6 week's _ or was it 8 weeks? Anyway that was based on 800 calls

petunia Wed 07-Aug-19 06:34:53

Im doing this tishee. I find it very hard and very easy in equal measure. easy because the food is unprocessed and fresh. It can be delicious and filling, hard because it takes some planning and its easy to fall off the wagon.
Ive lost a stone in about 5 weeks but Ive stalled.

I believe in the science of this, the reduction in blood sugars, the long periods without eating and snacking. And I feel much better for it. My blood pressure has come down, I have a lot of energy and I can see that I have lost weight-in my face, my fingers(???) my legs, but not that hideous band of tenacious blubber I carry around my middle.

If you are looking for a support buddy- im your woman.

Supergrannie Wed 07-Aug-19 17:50:38

I’m nearly half way through the 8-week blood sugar diet which I guess is pretty similar to the Fast 800 diet as I am allowed just 800 calories a day. Some days I sail through but others I find quite difficult and struggle a little. The recipes are quite tasty which is a bonus. I feel like I’ve lost weight but I’m determined to not weigh myself until I’ve completed the full 8 weeks. Hoping for a pleasant surprise then!

BBbevan Wed 07-Aug-19 18:45:48

Supergrannie. I think you will be very happy with the result. Well done for giving it a go.

seacliff Wed 07-Aug-19 20:47:36

You have done so well, congratulations. I have tried the BSD in the past, but find it hard to stick to long term. I am vegetarian, and I really don't like all the food prep needed - yes I am lazy. It did work, in that the low carb made me lose my longing for crisps etc. Unheard of before.

This BSD forum is really helpful, for the Fast 800, the 5-2 etc. thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/ There are some good recipes.

Supergrannie Wed 07-Aug-19 21:13:07

BBbevan, thanks for the encouragement ? I am glad that you have managed to maintain your weight loss. I am hoping to do the same this time as keeping the weight off has always been a problem for me.

seacliff, you are right, some of the meals do take a bit of time which I find a bind if I’m in a rush, and then I tend to improvise and steer off course sometimes but I try to not go above 900 calories on those days. Thanks for the link, I will check out the recipes.

Joyfulnanna Thu 08-Aug-19 23:40:05

Paddyann, I'm astounded you managed to fast for 18 hours. If I go to bed hungry, I can sleep. What time of the day did you start eating abf what was a typical days meals?

Joyfulnanna Thu 08-Aug-19 23:40:40

I "can't" sleep

paddyann Fri 09-Aug-19 01:01:51

i dont eat before 12 mid day and never after 6pm .Its not difficult and it becomes quite normal.Somedays I dont eat until 2 and still have dinner before 6 .I generally have porridge with fresh fruit and berries as my first meal and either omelette and salad or pasta for dinner .The M and S count on us meals are good for main meals and all under 400 cals .I used to fast in my teens so I'm happy to do it this way .

Joyfulnanna Fri 09-Aug-19 07:15:59

That sounds doable.. When I was younger, I never used to eat after 6pm and always had my biggest meal at lunch. Oh and I never used to eat breakfast..thats why I was slim then! I was doing what you do without consciously knowing this is the best way to eat. I'm going to try it again!