Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Slimming shakes

(10 Posts)
Pippapips Mon 09-Sep-19 11:41:46

Hi
Has anyone lost weight successfully on diet shakes ?
Need to lose 3 stone due to health problems any diet advice would be so helpful
Thanks

wildswan16 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:02:28

In order to lose the weight, and keep it off, you need to start eating a diet that you can maintain long-term.

I'm sure you know all the right or wrong foods already. Replacing one meal a day with a diet shake would probably be effective and help to get you started. But slow and steady is the way to go. Increasing exercise (if you are able) will also speed things up.

Have lots of things in the fridge and cupboards that you know are low calorie - and don't buy anything that you know you can't resist, if it's not in the house you can't eat it.

Nonnie Mon 09-Sep-19 12:15:49

I agree with wildswan. Go shopping when you are not hungry and only buy healthy food. Many people lose weight by joining one of the clubs but I wonder how that works when the weight is lost. Imo it is better to simply change your eating habits to something you can maintain but of course that might not be right for everyone.

I try to eat healthily but when we eat out I have whatever I fancy as it is no fun to be a martyr!

I get the evening munchies to have to be sure there is nothing bad in the house. Usually end up eating an apple, sometimes two.

SalsaQueen Mon 09-Sep-19 12:44:49

I lost weight on the Cambridge Diet, and Exante (both shakes and bars). I lost almost 4 stone in 3 months, 2 years ago......but unfortunately, have gained almost all of it again.

I felt well, looked healthy, and had more energy when I'd lost the weight, but the trouble with the VLC diets is that they don't change any bad eating habits. I soon craved chocolate, cake, all the stuff I'd missed when I stopped the diet. They are OK for a "quick fix" but the weight goes back on.

whywhywhy Mon 09-Sep-19 13:00:23

I have a diet shake with a diet chocolate bar for lunch and so far I have lost 5lb in 3 weeks, but it has its downsides. I feel like I am full of wind by teatime and because I have Achilles tendinitis I cannot do much exercise. Always make sure that the "naughty" food isnt in the cupboards then you cannot be tempted. Have a good healthy meal for teatime and nothing after 6pm. It is working for me but we are all different. Take care and let us know how you get on. x

Hetty58 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:10:31

My friend is losing weight. Her 'diet' is an apple before each meal, protein (like two eggs) with breakfast and double portions of vegetables. She allows herself only two slices of bread per day and has given up sugar completely. (I am in awe as I know I couldn't do it that way. If I needed to lose weight I'd have to increase exercise - and maybe (just maybe) give up chocolate!

Daisymae Mon 09-Sep-19 13:52:14

Well you will lose weight, but it will almost certainly come back. The only way is to reduce calories and increase activity. Have a look at the NHS website, they have a 3 month program

Pippapips Sun 15-Sep-19 09:53:45

Thank you so much for all your advice

Happiyogi Sun 15-Sep-19 11:06:53

I think the easiest - and healthiest - way is to eat a whole-food diet where nothing bad is added and nothing good is taken away. You can properly fill up and feel really satisfied on vegetables, fruits, beans, lentils, chickpeas, whole grains, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices.

It becomes a way of life so there is no cliff-edge where you return to former eating habits with the inevitable weight gain. As a bonus, this way of eating seriously improves many of the illnesses caused or made worse by modern eating habits.

Trunks876 Sat 21-Sep-19 20:59:44

Good question I found a video on YouTube that can help you click on this link dausel.co/kojMD9Tube then when you go on the landing page click on “I am not a robot the you will be redirected to the YouTube video