Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Same Food or Variety

(18 Posts)
mischief Mon 27-Jan-20 14:04:19

This is a question for those living on their own. I have just had a discussion with my daughter and wondered if I am as odd as she thinks.
I find living on my own no incentive for having a varied diet. I tend to have the same breakfast and lunch every day and I batch cook 2 meals and alternate them through the week. I don't seem to have any interest in cooking. I think it's because I live on my own and have no-one to cook for and sit and chat with. She disagrees. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a partner, I like living on my own. I just don't have much interest in food and would go without if it didn't affect my health. I do think I eat healthily however.
Because my daughter has a partner she lives with and they enjoy cooking a variety of meals, she can't understand me eating the same meals each day. hmm

Gaunt47 Mon 27-Jan-20 14:30:27

I'm on my own too Mischief and let's be honest a single girl's friend is a freezer! But I do love cooking, always have, only now I cook for myself. Always fresh ingredients, although I do sometimes wish I could find ready meals acceptable, but I can't. So boxes of batch cooked meals go into the freezer. I don't think you're at all odd! You could always suggest to your DD if she's worried that she drops round with some of the results of her cooking grin

Septimia Mon 27-Jan-20 14:31:21

When she was widowed, my mum lost interest in cooking for herself.

She had never bothered much with breakfast but pleased herself at lunchtimes - sometimes porridge, sometimes scrambled egg, whatever she fancied.

She didn't cook tea/dinner/supper. She had two plates filled with things like wholemeal bread, cheese, carrot, various fruits etc. It was healthy, balanced and very easy to prepare!

She had Sunday lunch with us.

I see no reason why you shouldn't do as you like. Maybe you could get a few ready meals to give you a bit of variety from time to time.

Calendargirl Mon 27-Jan-20 14:33:02

As long as you’re eating reasonably healthy food, it’s up to you how much variety you want. I always have the same breakfast, and probably lunch, but we do have various evening meals. If I were on my own however, I probably wouldn’t always want to cook much either.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 27-Jan-20 14:37:09

I'm very much the same these days. My late husband and I enjoyed cooking but now I'm on my own I've lost interest.
I prepare the same fruit and vegetables each day with just a little variety some of the time. What does it matter to others? As long as it's healthy, etc....
In the summer I switch to salads and at weekends I do some things which are a bit different. I believe I'm reasonably healthy so I don't care what others think.

Dottydots Mon 27-Jan-20 14:41:39

Most days I usually only have myself to cook for. I seem to alternate between salads and stir fries, which although they are good for me, it's not exactly a varied diet. I look at all the Iovely recipes in the magazines and tell myself I will do something different next time, but then I can't be bothered just for myself and I'm back to the same old meals.

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:37:17

In my single days and when DH travelled a way a lot for business , I always cooked a wide variety of dishes and ate different foods when I was on my own.

I love food and always have. I do not mean stuffing myself, I mean enjoying flavour, texture, new eating experiences and combinations of food. The day I stop cooking a wide variety of different meals for myself, my family will know that the end is nigh.

mischief Mon 27-Jan-20 17:48:03

Oh so glad I'm not odd. I've tried ready meals when I was working. Had them for evening meals every day. Then I retired and gave them up so got withdrawal symptoms, headaches and not feeling well, so I won't be going back to those. Maybe once in a while, as a change.

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:51:10

Make your own ready meals, that is what I always do. Both lunch and supper tonight are home made ready meals, straight from the freezer.

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-Jan-20 19:42:59

I eat whatever I fancy but that varies from day to day. I've always cooked and refuse to resort to ready meals. I like my food cooked from scratch and usually do enough to eat one and freeze two.

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Jan-20 19:56:20

I’m a batch baker too and always pop one/two in the freezer for days when I can’t be bothered!

Don’t understand having the same breakfast and lunch every day - love waking up and thinking about the choices awaiting me! I can change my mind half a dozen times between bathroom and kitchen!

JennaPierce Tue 25-Feb-20 09:24:12

As long as your diet is healthy and not nocive to your health, it doesn't matter that it's not varied and others don't like it. You eat it, not anyone else, after all, it's important for you to like it and that's it.

henetha Tue 25-Feb-20 10:31:02

Although living alone I think I eat a varied diet. Mostly I cook properly, but yesterday I had a Pot Noodle (I know! Disgraceful isn't it!). But last Sunday I did a full roast.
Usually it's a combination of stews or casseroles, pasta or rice, and the odd ready meal for when my back is really bad.
I don't think I could eat the same meals every day, I like to mix it up. So far this morning I've only had a crumpet. So I'll have something more exciting for lunch.
I do batch meals and freeze them sometimes.

Anniebach Tue 25-Feb-20 10:45:24

I miss cooking and baking. Because of health problems I am
on liquid replacement meals, so same every meal every day.

Urmstongran Tue 25-Feb-20 10:45:31

I’d just put a potato in the oven for 40 mins then slide in a chicken breast alongside, or sausages and an onion, or a piece of salmon for another 40 minutes. Not ‘cooking’ as such as not a recipe. Why faff? Read the paper or watch tv until your dinner is ready!

dabossman Mon 02-Mar-20 19:31:38

Oh I'm the worst at eating the same foods over and over! Living alone, I sometimes don't think about it until it's been the same basic 5 things for a couple months. I find that using wise women herbals works best for me since I have little variation in my nutrition.

ashking Tue 28-Apr-20 10:24:05

check this amazing guide act1diabetes.org/halki-diabetes-remedy-review/ i contains a remedy for diabetic people. the remedy is based on natural herbs and no chemical is used. you can add it to your diet and can get good result from it. fight against diabetes and eatt your favorite food without any hesitation.

eazybee Tue 28-Apr-20 11:40:55

Thank goodness we are all different!
I live alone and enjoy cooking, but I cook a meal and divide it into two or three portions, and frequently eat them on successive days. I have a friend who refuses to eat the same food two days running, wasting an awful lot of food, and a friend who eats the same lunch (hummus, celery and carrot) every day and has done so for as long as I have known her.
As long as you are healthy, why should you vary what you eat as long as it satisfies you and isn't chips with everything ?