Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercise for the very unfit

(13 Posts)
Sparkling Sat 04-Apr-20 08:15:04

Because usually I am always busy and walk, I thought I was fairly fit" Know now I'm not. Every video I have watched at home are too much for me. Due to rotor cuff damage I can't hold my arms out to the side. Also have problems with my back and I can't squat due to cartridge damage. So what can I do? Any ideas, I want to keep moving, without swimming I am putting the pounds on.

MerylStreep Sat 04-Apr-20 08:35:38

Sparkling
There are lots of videos on YouTube of sitting down exercises.
I know these are very good as before the lockdown I took 2 neighbours to these classes.

kittylester Sat 04-Apr-20 10:03:51

Have you looked at the Joe Wickes one for older people or the Green Godess?

Nellie098 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:43:31

Have you looked at Youtube videos for people with disabilities like amputees, wheelchairs. These focus on strength training different parts of the body and you can then select ones that fit in with your requirements. When I broke my ankle many years ago, was in plaster and had to hop on one leg for six weeks I used to do a video like this.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 11:33:16

I have rotor cuff damage too Sparkling but I found exercise did help. The exercises were from the physiotherapist and teach you to use alternative muscles than the ones which were torn and help build up strength. Have you had physio?

I can do the Joe Wickes exercises for seniors (on YouTube) and the slow Qigong exercises by Judy ? recommended by another gransnetter would build up strength.

Good luck.

heinvm Wed 24-Jun-20 14:37:56

@Sparkling

The problem with a lot of the content on the internet is that its not really catered for anyone specific. Were all so different and have different injury concerns which means we can not just follow any random training routine.

Things to consider with regards to your shoulder pain - if it is a lack of range of motion issue (mobility) then maybe look at some exercises to increase mobility in the shoulder joint. Often times shoulder impingement are a result of mobility issues but often a stability issue as well.

I would also advise then to look at you posture as this has a direct influence on what position your shoulder joint will sit in.

The cartilage damage in the knees is tough to get around but there is certainly things you can do to to strengthen areas that support the knees more - hip and core stability.

Back pain is often the result of bad posture or poor movement patterns relating to poor stability and strength through the whole structure of the body.

Assessments are always a good idea,this can be performed by a fitness professional and will guide you in the right direction!

Hope all of that makes sense!

clementine Mon 29-Jun-20 21:35:34

Just be cautious doing on line video's as there is no one to correct your positions and advise. Zoom is better especially the smaller group classes . I found Joe Wicks for seniors excellent .

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jun-20 22:13:47

The NHS has exercise videos on its site for all levels of fitness, Sparkling. Might be worth a try? At least you’ll know they’re from a reliable source.

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jun-20 22:14:16

Here’s the link:

www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/free-fitness-ideas/

Nicholas12312 Thu 06-Aug-20 07:59:31

What kind of measures you've taken for dealing with your injuries. I personally started to wear weight lifting belt by reading this article www.aqfsports.com/blogs/news/definitive-weightlifting-belts-guide . Now my back feels good and I often wear it while lifting heavy weight.

Furret Thu 06-Aug-20 08:10:58

It’s not only about keeping your muscle tone and joints moving. It’s also about keeping your heart and lungs functioning too - cardio. You should try and get a little bit out of breath - but that’s really difficult if you are limited in what you can do.

This is a suggestion from a friend who runs (or did) sitting down exercise classes in Care Homes ... she gets them to sing along to a couple of the exercises. Try it! You will find it makes you breathe more deeply and gently raises your heart rate. And who doesn’t enjoy singing.

Teetime Thu 06-Aug-20 09:18:49

sparkling there are some exercises on NHS Choices website you might like - its sounds as though stretching to maintain flexibility might be helpful.

Missedout Thu 06-Aug-20 09:46:36

I bought a small, neat exercise bike at the beginning of lockdown. I built up to spending about 40 minutes a day on it but the bike is lightweight and I move it in front of the TV and watch Netflix films (I sometimes forget the time - I became addicted to 'Unforgotten') while pedalling away.

Can you get some specific advice about your knee cartilage damage? You may find that an exercise bike would not be as bad for you as you fear. It's certainly good for aerobic exercise. Mine tells me how many calories I burn, my speed, distance and time on the bike. I can gradually increase the tension so have to work harder. I'm fitter now than at the start of lockdown and my weight is stable. I can exercise in my own time as well.