Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What is wrong with me?

(59 Posts)
Antonia Wed 29-Apr-20 10:17:51

Yesterday I did an online language class, and people were boasting talking about how they had walked /cycled 30 miles over the past week. I feel like a fat unfit frump. I don't like exercising, I can't keep up with Jo Wicks and I spend most of my time at the moment sitting doing cross stitch. I wish I could get motivated to go for long treks - the most DH and I manage is a 15 minute walk around the block, all the time being stressed out trying to avoid coming anywhere near other people.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:02:09

The last thing you want to do is try to compete.

Any exercise has to be built up gradually.

A fifteen minute walk is fine.

It can gradually become longer.

JaneRn Thu 30-Apr-20 12:07:43

Dear Antonia, just ignore these holier-than-thou people, they are a pain at the best of times and particularly now and they certainly have no right to criticise you. You do not need to feel guilty or inferior. It's your life, live it as you want to

Personally, I have days when I feel quite active, although routine exercise routines have no appeal and never have had, and others when I am content to sew, or research family history - I am back to the 1700s - or just sit and read a book or listen to music. Just do whatever makes you happy. I do try to walk each day for my allotted exercise time whatever the weather which is something I have always done.

Keep smiling, Antonia. Things will get better if we all do as we are told. Sitting inside doing cross-stitch is better than joining the morons who think it is funny to congregate and spread the virus!

Shalene777 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:14:30

I noticed on social media that people were posting times for 5k.....all I can say is there should be a slew of gold medals for us at the next olympics as some of the times are quite fantastical. lol

Petalpop Thu 30-Apr-20 12:17:36

You are just normal Antonia. It is true what has already been said that some people love to boast. I live on the edge of a town so twice a week I go for an hour long hike in the quieter area. I leave at 7 in the morning as I am petrified of meeting other people particularly the ones that think the social distancing is 2 inches and then I have take evasive action. My point is I have a friend who keeps texting me about how, far she walked today, yesterday and where she is going tomorrow. She is forever asking me how far I have been and where. She knows I have one set route and it takes an hour. It has got to the stage where I tell her I have been out most days in all weathers because she is, making me feel inadequate. People should just do their own thing and not keep prattling on to others about how wonderful they are. Ahhhhhhh

granbabies123 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:27:32

Just do what you feel like and keep happy. Let's face it a lot of us will have put a bit of weight on by the end of this but hey ho we'll be alive!

Mollygo Thu 30-Apr-20 12:49:07

That’s the downside of social media Antonia. Chance to show off!
15 minutes round the block is a great start, and if that’s all you continue to do, at least you’re doing that. That’s how my husband started and now we get a bit further, or do it faster.
Look at avoiding people as a form of dancing. Sometimes we cross the road up to half a dozen times on one stretch of road, calling out “Hi! How are you”as we pass.
If you have something that keeps you calm and content at home, you’re better off than all those who are desperate to get out because their hobbies are all outdoors.
We aren’t supposed to be out for more than an hour so when my friend posts that she’s done a 25 mile walk today I say well done, but rather meanly think, “I bet that took you more than an hour.”

Buttonjugs Thu 30-Apr-20 13:15:15

I have rediscovered my Rosemary Conley Slim and Salsacise dvd. It’s brilliant! The music makes you WANT to do it, there are three levels, level 1 is fairly easy and only lasts about ten minutes. Honestly it’s really fun and makes you feel great.

mrswoo Thu 30-Apr-20 14:56:23

Actually Antonia I am full of admiration for you. I tried to do cross stich once and found it incredibly difficult. I neither have the patience or the ability and got myself in a right old mess with it. I strongly believe in doing whatever makes you happy - especially now. Ignore the boasters!

Peardrop50 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:01:51

At a brisk pace you can cover a mile in 15 mins, if you build it up to do 15 mins each way you cover two miles a day then you can boast that you're doing 28 miles a week, very do-able for most which is more than you can say for doing cross stitch, I wouldn't know where to start.

Tillybelle Thu 30-Apr-20 16:25:08

Antonia, You are lovely! Your cross stitch will let for 100s of years. Their bike rides will be forgotten next month.

People who have to boast, who have to be 'one-up' on others or worse put others down, are just not worth listening to. They must have something wrong with them if they can't just be themselves without having to boast or make out they are better than others. People will say they have low self esteem but I'm not so sure. I think it's a habit that they develop from childhood of simply boasting about being better than the rest and they are too stupid to realise it makes people dislike them!
Right now we need to be doing whatever we can to keep going and keep happy. It's a difficult and unnatural time, and my impression is that the vast majority of people have adapted amazingly well and risen to the demands of the day. It shows that human kind does have the ability to do what is needed for the good of everyone. I find that most heartening amidst all the very sad news of the people who have died.

I have never been any good at cross stitch although I have several craft hobbies; knitting, crochet, a little embroidery and a kind of patchwork collage 'mess'... I put decorative collage pieces on tee shirts and skirts and trousers, especially for my grandchildren. It's always abstract so nothing can go wrong! Oh and I always walk about 20 miles a day and 30 at weekends. NOT! ? I'm in a wheelchair outdoors and should use one indoors but it broke. I feel pretty smug if I walk up my garden in less than half an hour!

Keep happy, my love, ignore the show-offs! Laugh at them!

OPgrndtr Thu 30-Apr-20 16:27:28

I just put on some favorite music and dance in the house. Nobody is watching so dance as you are able until you get tired.

Chardy Thu 30-Apr-20 16:31:42

The recommendation is that we aspire to 10 000 steps a day. It's around 4 miles and takes between an hour and 90 minutes. Multiply that by 7 and you've got nearly 30 miles/week

fluttERBY123 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:36:46

I go for a walk round the block as early as I can and have a good jogger-hate. Come back either angry or feeling I have won for the day depending on proximity of any joggers encountered. Later I walk some circuits taking in front and back gardens. 175 steps per circuit. That was till last weekend. Was getting my 10k steps done till in absence of my dear cleaner cleaned behind loo and twisted knee, so now enjoying tea biscuits and sudoku. Take it as it comes.

fluttERBY123 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:39:09

I.think.dancing to classic fM might have been a mistake as well.

GrammaH Thu 30-Apr-20 18:54:02

I really enjoy Leslie Sansome's Walk at Home classes on YouTube. I like feeling like I'm in a class with her students & it's easy & good fun, plus a mile can be done in 15 minutes. I try & do a couple of miles a day but sometimes I don't feel like it & sometimes I go out for a real walk in my own! You have to do what you feel comfortable with & s** everyone else!

Lovelifelynn Thu 30-Apr-20 19:02:49

Antonia, don't beat yourself up. Bet those people cycling 30 miles don't post when they are having a rubbish day they just like to be superior. Believe me, you are not alone, I have been baking and eating way too much and sitting too much too. If you really feel like you want to do a little exercise just walk on the spot when the adverts come on, start small. Good luck and just carry on being you and getting through these times like we all are.

grannyrebel7 Thu 30-Apr-20 19:19:07

Lupatria I was worn out just reading your post!

TrendyNannie6 Thu 30-Apr-20 20:50:38

Nothing wrong with you, yes there will always be boasters in all walks of life. Oh I’ve done 20 miles today, I really don’t give a monkeys, just going off to do my nightly swinging from my chandelier,,,,

Juicylucy Thu 30-Apr-20 21:03:50

Have you thought about trying different routes for your walk rather than going around the same block. Maybe get a map of your area and search out public pathways. I’ve always driven around my local area now im walking I’m finding nice places I never saw whilst driving. Then maybe you could increase the walk from 20 mins to 30 mins etc a day and build it up like that. It’s great for your mental health as well and keeping fit. Good luck give it a go.

craftyone Thu 30-Apr-20 21:13:03

I don`t see how anyone can enjoy exercising, unfortunately it is important to get the heart pumping a little bit and to get slightly puffed from time to time. I hop on my cycle and do a minimal of a ride around the block and before I know it, I start to enjoy seeing the cows and farms and so the ride lengthens. I don`t half feel virtuous afterwards. You just have to clear your mind, grit your teeth and say `oh well it will all be over in half an hour`

I cannot stand walking, it is boring and too slow, no running for me, don`t want to injure my knees or ankles. No indoor cycling, very boring

jocork Fri 01-May-20 12:26:20

My daughter, who is very fit, and would normally be spending all her free time climbing Scottish mountains, has been doing Joe Wicks. She recommended I try the Joe Wicks Ultimate Beginners workout aimed for us oldies or the very unfit. I did it once, and had to modify or miss out some of the more tricky exercises, but I felt a certain satisfaction from doing it. I probably should do it again but I've become terribly lazy! I do try to move about a bit and rely on my fitbit to remind me to move, but many of my daily 'steps' are achieved by swinging my arms and legs while remaining seated! blush
When the weather is nice I enjoy a short stroll or do a bit of gardening so I hope this colder weather improves soon to get me motivated. I'm sure you're not alone in enjoying sedentary activities. Personally I think our mental health is just as important as our physical health so do things you enjoy!

Riverwalk Fri 01-May-20 12:39:58

I wish I could get motivated to go for long treks - the most DH and I manage is a 15 minute walk around the block,

There is a happy medium between your short walk and a long trek!

IMO unless you have a disability of some sort, 15 minutes is not long enough to keep reasonably fit.

3nanny6 Fri 01-May-20 13:24:37

Antonia there is nothing wrong at all. You are right about those on the bikes and they are a pain. I usually get a family unit on the pavement (mum, dad, and two children and always a little young one at the back straggling along) they take up all the pavement and take ages to move because of the one at the back. I know they all want to exercise so as we are in this lockdown I just let it all go over my head. I am always out for some exercise as I have to walk for health reasons. I do not do the 4 miles my doctor advised. (he will be lucky) but I try my best. Yesterday it literally poured with rain all day and I went no where and it was lovely. I did catch up on some indoor cleaning and ate some lovely chocolate.
Stay in and enjoy your cross-stitch and when you can take a few short walks around the block just for a bit of fresh air.
Why has everyone got to power walk, jog or cycle miles it just doesn't suit everyone.

JenniferEccles Mon 04-May-20 11:55:53

There is no need to feel you have to compete with anyone else, but you should try to get into the mindset of getting fitter for YOU and your health.

You say you already walk for fifteen minutes which is fine, but how about slowly increasing it ?

The secret is to increase gradually so that your fitness levels improve along with the longer walk.

If it’s too busy where you live, why not drive somewhere fairly close where there is open countryside or to a park?

The change of scenery will motivate you to walk further to ‘see what’s round the corner’ as my husband always says !

It would be so great if as a country, we end up slimmer, fitter and thereby healthier.

There’s no reason why not.

Tanjamaltija Thu 07-May-20 10:44:17

@Antonia, there is nothing wrong with you - it's the people who need to boast and justify themselves that have something wrong with them. They try to make us feel insignificant and lazy... because, after all, walking 30 miles is probably their only achievement. The rest of us just get on with life, finding time for what we must do, and for what we want to do.