Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Arthritis

(5 Posts)
beautybumble Mon 19-Oct-20 13:00:58

Hi. Can I ask, has anyone had surgery on their shoulders at all? I’ve been working hard for a long time trying to stay fit but I’ve recently been told by my doctor that I have no cartilage in my left shoulder. It’s a real blow because it’s causing me pain now and I have to limit certain exercises. I’m otherwise very well in myself. If you did have the surgery how long did you have to wait for it and how has it been since? Thanks if you should reply.

Teetime Mon 19-Oct-20 14:33:51

My mother had a shoulder replacement quite a long while ago. She was only in for a few days and made a quick recovery. She was never a good patient but was very surprised to find how well this operation and recovery went. Heaven knows how long waiting times are at the moment.

annodomini Mon 19-Oct-20 15:02:21

I had a partial shoulder replacement about 14 years ago. I had bone spurs that were pushing it out of joint and giving me dreadful pain. It was quite a long recovery as I had demanding physio once a week for six weeks. It was lovely summer weather, so all I needed to wear were vest tops which made dressing easier. It was my left shoulder, so it was a while before I could drive. I was able to swim after a few months, and eventually even managed an overarm crawl. I hope your op is as successful, beautybumble. There's no reason why it shouldn't be.

ginny Mon 19-Oct-20 17:38:52

Will be interested in replies. My 88 year old MIL is being considered for this. She depends on crutches to walk so I’m not sure how she would cope in the post op. period.

Richardparker Sun 06-Dec-20 15:12:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.