Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Stooping back/ bent shoulders.....

(15 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 11-May-21 23:15:48

Has anyone bought one of those things you wear to pull your shoulders back and make you stand straight. I’ve realised I have to consciously straighten my back. I’ve seen one for @£15 and another that’s £50 and wonder if I might buy it and never wear it. I’ve always been like it and I think, from seeing photos it tends to run in the family. But it’s getting much worse.

M0nica Thu 13-May-21 20:54:49

Maybee70 It could be that you have osteoporosis. I would discuss the issue with your doctor before you buy and kind of brace.

I have a naturally rounded back but no signs of it getting worse. I also think my Tai Chi helps, it may be that some kind of exercise class would be better than these braces.

Either way, I would speak to your doctor first

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 21:18:37

It seems to run in the family. Not going to the gym these days isn’t helping. I must start doing Pilates or something.

jeanie99 Tue 01-Jun-21 08:04:11

Check this out with your GP you could have Osteoporosis.

If you try Pilates or Yoga only go to classes where the instructor checks you are doing the excersise correctly.
I have permanent nerve damage and back problems because my instructors didn't check.

Peasblossom Tue 01-Jun-21 08:14:24

I did the Joe Wicks plan to lose weight for my sons wedding. It had exercises with hand weights too.

After a few weeks I realised that my rounded back and the forward lean on my head had disappeared. My neck and upper back muscles had strengthened.

I hadn’t realised they had become weak and weren’t holding up the weight of my head. I only do it for five minutes a day before I shower, but, my goodness, the difference it makes!

dogsmother Tue 01-Jun-21 08:25:57

I’m always telling myself off.
Best thing is to remind yourself of the old fashioned walking posture of model training, walk as tall and straight as you can and pretend yo7 have a book to balance on your head.

Nonogran Tue 01-Jun-21 09:12:22

Stand in a doorway, put your arms either side of the door jam and stretch gently forward. You should feel a slight stretch in your chest muscles & a squeeze in your shoulder muscles. This little exercise is supposed to help rounded shoulders.
As we age, our chest muscles shorten so gently stretching them is supposed to help if done regularly.
However, get checked for osteoporosis before you do anything. Good luck.

timetogo2016 Tue 01-Jun-21 09:25:12

I have noticed a lot of young people are walking with their back not straight,i blame the mobils/i-pods etc.
They look like they belong in Lowry paintings.

Whiff Tue 01-Jun-21 09:27:34

MayBee70 you need a bone density scan for osteoporosis. My mom had it from her 50's . She lived until she was 90. Do you take calcium and vitamin D tablets if not please do. Once menopause starts I was told by GP every woman should be taking them to guard against osteoporosis.

PaperMonster Fri 04-Jun-21 20:06:48

I tried one once and it didn’t do much - but I do have mild scoliosis which makes me round shouldered. Looks like my daughter will be taking after me too. My mum used to nag me a lot to put my shoulders back - but my skeleton isn’t designed to do that!!

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Jun-21 20:13:46

I'm getting very round shouldered as well. I'd put it down to too much slumping in front of the computer (just as I'm doing now), but I hadn't thought of osteoporosis. As it happens my GP is referring me for a bone scan as a precaution following the two broken bones I've had in the last few years, so with any luck I can rule that out. And start sitting up straight, just as my grandma taught me to.

CocoPops Fri 04-Jun-21 21:34:49

Might I suggest you consult a good physiotherapist.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Jun-21 21:57:57

I bought the cheap shoulder brace thingy in the end and used it a few times. It doesn’t seem to help any more than wearing a small rucksack with a few tins in which I do sometimes (thanks to covid I don’t get unexpected visitors wondering why I’m wearing a rucksack in the house). However I’ve now got shooting pains in my leg which makes me think it might be a spine problem.

Esspee Fri 04-Jun-21 23:42:47

HRT prevents osteoporosis. I think using one of those contraptions to hold your shoulders back would be ill advised until after you consult your doctor.

Doodle Fri 04-Jun-21 23:53:16

Yes I bought one and have worn it twice. It isn’t very comfortable and I can’t bend in in.