Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Type 2 Diabetes

(9 Posts)
Nonnabear Mon 17-May-21 17:10:26

I was recently diagnosed with borderline type 2 diabetes. My doctor did not offer any suggestions on what to eat, when to eat, or how much do.
I spoke with a nutritionist who only offered the keto diet infirmation. Telling me to calculate micronutrients, macronutrients, and such.
I make most of my food homemade. Very few items come in packages.
I have quite a large family to feed.
I am looking for suggestions or information on what to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat.
I do need to lose 60 lb.
Thank you in advance.

shysal Mon 17-May-21 17:17:37

Have a look at the diet doctor site, lots of information and recipes for a low carb diet, which can reverse type 2 diabetes. You don't have to sign up.
Good luck!
www.dietdoctor.com/

Aveline Mon 17-May-21 17:20:42

I don't suppose it's much use for you but I was glad of Huel. Its got all the nutrients necessary and means that I can seriously calorie count without missing out key vitamins and minerals etc. I've lost 4.5 ins round my waist so far. I don't weigh myself but the fat loss round my middle is pretty significant and is a key target area for reducing.
I have Huel twice a day and eat a nice meal in the evening.

Redhead56 Mon 17-May-21 17:54:39

My husband went without medication on diet-doctor and NHS healthy eating. Basically cutting carbs fats etc I reduced his meat consumption by adding lentils barley nuts etc he didn’t even notice. He was told he could eat a slice of wholewheat bread a day and could still have a few beers. He decided only at the weekend. He was very strict with himself that’s why he lost all the weight. He initially lost over 3 stone and stayed that weight for about 8 yrs. Since retirement about 2 yrs ago he has gone on Metformin because he put a bit of weight on not being so active. He did well all those years diet alone though.
You can do it! be kind to yourself at the weekend with a few treats.

ayse Mon 17-May-21 18:06:27

Have a look at diabetes uk website. It’s full of information about what to eat and recipes as well.

Michael Moseley reversed his type two by cutting down on carbs, and increase your intake of green veg, salads etc. Keep away from tropical fruits such as pineapple and mango but fruits like apples and pairs are less sweet and can be eaten in moderation. Check out Michael’s diets that can help you loose weight.

Check out low GI foods. Switch to brown rice, wholemeal pasta and bread.

Diabetes uk has lots of recipes for sweet treats.

Good luck with the weight loss. ?

PaperMonster Mon 17-May-21 20:25:05

Diet Doctor is an excellent resource, as is diabetes.co.uk.

Low carb is the way to reduce your HBA1C. So no bread, rice, pasta or vegetables grown underground (although celeriac is ok)

I’d recommend getting a monitor to check your bloods to identify which foods raise your blood sugars so you know what to avoid. If you do want to eat bread, look at the carb content per slice (I eat one which has 8.5g per slice and my levels are ok with two slices). Konjac rice or pasta is a good substitute.

I can’t eat fruit other than a couple of strawberries or raspberries- but I am OK with a particular brand of chocolate, which always amuses me!

Good luck x

jeanie99 Tue 01-Jun-21 08:23:20

Take control of this yourself buy a glucose meter and check the food you eat.
GP informed me that I would probably become type 2 diabetic but I could take medication, I wasn't having any of that without trying to alter my diet.
I use CodeFree glucose monitoring,
GP said I didn't need to do this so I just ignored his advice and went with my own thoughts, it was the best thing I ever did.
I have been normal for years now.
You can't base what you eat on other peoples food.
I now know the food I need to avoid or just have occasionally. It's a plus plus for me.

dogsmother Tue 01-Jun-21 08:31:43

As a basic rule of thumb eat fewer carbohydrates. Avoid processed foods and sugars.
Fruit in moderation and vegetables that grow overground are generally better for you than those from under ground.
If you not diabetic then nothing is yet banned .

Greeneyedgirl Tue 01-Jun-21 09:36:05

I agree with advice about reducing carbs. I was told some years ago I was pre diabetic, not overweight so was quite shocked. I eat potatoes very rarely now, used to be almost daily, and cut consumption of rice, bread, pasta, and cake and increased activity. Plenty of veg, nuts and pulses. All blood tests have since been normal, but I am aware that I am likely to become diabetic if I am not careful about my diet. The risk remains.