Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

health and food etc

(47 Posts)
Arty2 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:35:35

What are you doing to get rid of covid inches and weight?

Shirleyw Mon 18-Oct-21 03:06:38

I like the sound of your recipe sago, shall give it a try, thanks for sharing…

CherylObrien85 Sun 17-Oct-21 16:29:17

Avoid sugar, chocolates and cakes!

dragonfly46 Mon 20-Sep-21 12:45:15

Lucca I too have diverticulosis but was not aware I should not eat garlic or chillis. They are part of my staple diet!!

JessicaPaul123 Mon 20-Sep-21 12:40:22

Cakes, Ice creams and sugar!

Lucca Thu 09-Sep-21 13:43:34

Thank you

Sago Thu 09-Sep-21 12:23:48

Lucca Yes instead of the coconut milk,the horseradish will give it some bite.

Lucca Thu 09-Sep-21 11:10:51

Instead of the coconut milk?

Sago Thu 09-Sep-21 10:58:56

Lucca
Try a carton of low fat creme fraiche add a dollop of horseradish and some dill and lemon.
This will give a more classic slant to the dish.
As long as there is enough liquid for the rice to absorb this should work well.
Let me know?

Lucca Thu 09-Sep-21 10:12:23

Sago that sounds lovely but I’m not doing chillis or garlic due to diverticulosis. Anything I could use instead ?

Froglady Thu 09-Sep-21 10:08:19

No crisps, nuts, sweets, cakes, biscuits, etc, etc and it is working.

Lucca Thu 09-Sep-21 10:06:49

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ocvo2buR5Q

??

Sago Thu 09-Sep-21 09:59:00

As some of you know, I adore food and cooking, here’s a recipe I adapted to provide a low cal and low fat meal that tastes fabulous.

Recipe is for 4.

Boil 200gm brown rice until it’s still very al dente.
Strain and place in an oven proof dish.
Blend 2 red chillis with a thumb size piece of ginger a bunch of coriander, two garlic cloves,juice of 2 limes and a tin of light coconut milk.
Add this to the rice and stir through.
Sprinkle a pack of mange tout over the rice.
Now place 4 fish fillets on top, trout,salmon or sea bass all work well.
If using salmon or trout bake for 5 mins uncovered in the oven first.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for appx 20 minutes.

White basmati rice can be used but has a high GI.

Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander and a crisp green salad.

Kim19 Thu 09-Sep-21 09:55:20

I'm with Lucca here. Slightly less intake and more exercise.

MayBeMaw Thu 09-Sep-21 09:55:20

Lucca

How is it helpful to the OP for r people to say how perfect their eating habits are ?

I’m going to try smaller portions and more walking …

I think it is reassuring to know how imperfect the eating habits of others can be.

Occasionally inspirational but more often “Why didn’t I know about the Hovis cheese muffins? “

Sago Thu 09-Sep-21 09:43:18

I’m back at the gym, I have a new program and am trying for 4 visits a week.
President butter and all cakes/biscuits and crisps are off limits.
We have a Flora plant based spread that lowers cholesterol and tastes OK, we spread it on cardboard (Ryvita type biscuits)
No sausages or bacon at the weekend.
When the delicious cheeses in the fridge are finished they will not be replaced?.
I did bring some beautiful potatoes back from Ireland earlier this month, they will not be wasted, at the moment they are my guilty pleasure.
Wine at the weekend only.

JaneJudge Thu 09-Sep-21 09:33:13

I've been trying to move more and I keep making salads and soups. I think if I cut out wine it would make the biggest difference, I think I might start after next week when the house becomes emptier again as I need to start going through the house, sort, deep clean and decorate which will hopefully keep me busy smile

I think I might have lost weight this week if ocado hadn't suggested I buy Hovis cheese muffins

Cabbie21 Thu 09-Sep-21 09:04:00

I am trying to cut down on bread and potatoes but not giving up altogether. I eat lots of veg, but have to limit fruit or I end up in the loo all day. I hate walking and any forms of exercise. No will power. Clothes too tight.

Lucca Thu 09-Sep-21 08:52:15

How is it helpful to the OP for r people to say how perfect their eating habits are ?

I’m going to try smaller portions and more walking …

Redhead56 Thu 09-Sep-21 08:39:20

I don’t diet as I naturally don’t over eat I have a small appetite. I only like strong flavours. I cannot eat bland food it’s pointless chilli and garlic find their way into every dish I make. I love sweets etc but I don’t want to go the dentist so I don’t eat them. I like butter but don’t eat a lot of it I don’t eat a lot of (carbs). I prefer small plates of food rather like mezze tapas or thali etc. If I dine out a banquet is my favourite choice but it’s not been a choice recently. I make soups hot and sour pho dhal and Cullen skink are my favourites soup is tasty nutritious and not calorific.

Jennifer00123 Thu 09-Sep-21 07:57:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Amberone Mon 23-Aug-21 11:48:49

For some reason during lock down we started eating chocolate, something we haven't even bought for years, and couldn't get out walking so much so both put on weight. No idea how much, we don't have any scales and I haven't been weighed for about 20 years anyway. But it's visible and our clothes don't fit anymore. So chocolates are banned again, and I've stopped baking for a while. I can feel my clothes slowly returning to normal, especially now we've resumed our walking again.

Witzend Mon 23-Aug-21 10:28:14

Chewbacca

I'm on a balanced diet. I eat 2 of everything.

Especially for you, Chewbacca!

henetha Mon 23-Aug-21 10:22:37

I've given up cake. sad

George0001 Mon 23-Aug-21 08:53:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Shropshirelass Fri 20-Aug-21 07:57:16

I eat Keto/low carb anyway and will carry on eating this way.